PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC for kids

gabosaurus
07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
MOVING RIGHT ALONG HERE...
Anyone have any idea what sights and attractions in our nation's capitol would be suitable and entertaining for a seven-year-old girl?
Sure, there are guidebooks and such, but I figure better advice might come from someone who has actually been there and done that.
Thanks in advance. :)

Kathianne
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
MOVING RIGHT ALONG HERE...
Anyone have any idea what sights and attractions in our nation's capitol would be suitable and entertaining for a seven-year-old girl?
Sure, there are guidebooks and such, but I figure better advice might come from someone who has actually been there and done that.
Thanks in advance. :)

Obviously the Smithsonian Museums. I've not yet been to the Native American one, but my kids have and rave about it. The American and Air & Space are wonderful. With some prepping, the Holocaust Museum. There is a night tour of 'Haunted DC', that was pretty cool and not too intense. Just walking and looking at all the memorials is cool, especially interesting is the Police Memorial.

Monticello and Gettysburg are not too far, nice outside thing for kids.

5stringJeff
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
The monuments along the Mall are fun to look at as well.

darin
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Viet Nam, Korean, and WW2 War memorials for sure. Lincolon Memorial too - kids know him from the Penny. :D

Careful with some of the museums - I know the big one, right down town...the Art Museum. The line to get in wrapped around the block. We were there durring the Cherry Blossom though - so may have accounted for the crowds.

Take her to the front and back of the white house, too.

As far as eats - we enjoyed these places:

Greek: http://www.zorbascafe.com/
EXCELLENT food. No/little wait for service. Walk in, down to the counter and order your grub, then take up to your seat.

Italian: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/ (Pizzeria Paradiso - We ate the the georgetown location).
EXCELLENT food. expect a bit of a wait - very little waiting room, but it was worth it.

jackass
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree with eveyone else. Thismuseum is about 30 mins outside DC and is free. Its not too big and a very interesting museum.

http://www.usmcmuseum.org/index.asp

OCA
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Umm looks like you guys nailed the museum and tourist sights already, good on ya.

In DC, especially in NW there is always something interesting around the corner for adults and kids alike, especially in the Georgetown area and along Massachusets Ave and Conneticut Ave where the embassies are.

Stay away from Dupont Circle though, queer central there:laugh2:

OCA
07-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Obviously the Smithsonian Museums. I've not yet been to the Native American one, but my kids have and rave about it. The American and Air & Space are wonderful. With some prepping, the Holocaust Museum. There is a night tour of 'Haunted DC', that was pretty cool and not too intense. Just walking and looking at all the memorials is cool, especially interesting is the Police Memorial.

Monticello and Gettysburg are not too far, nice outside thing for kids.

Monticello is close, about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic but Gettysburg is a haul, at least 1- 1 1/2 hrs without traffic up the 270 corridor.

Kathianne
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Monticello is close, about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic but Gettysburg is a haul, at least 1- 1 1/2 hrs without traffic up the 270 corridor.

For me, that's not 'far' while on a vacation. I like driving, but gas is a killer.

OCA
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
For me, that's not 'far' while on a vacation. I like driving, but gas is a killer.

Its not far but when on vacation I really don't like to be that far away from home base. And gas, and if they were to get caught in 270 rush hour traffic...................fugghedaboutit.

darin
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree with eveyone else. Thismuseum is about 30 mins outside DC and is free. Its not too big and a very interesting museum.

http://www.usmcmuseum.org/index.asp

OORAH! I LOVED that place!!

:D

jimnyc
07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Go across the bridge, about 5 minutes to downtown Alexandria. Lots of great sights and a ton of shops.

gabosaurus
07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
We are staying by the airport and riding the Metro into DC. Saves a ton of money on hotels and such. Probably won't go by the monuments. Summer is not the time to go to a lot of outdoor places, and I think their significance would be lost on a child seeking to have a good time. Perhaps on a later visit when she is older.
The White House and Congress are definite must-sees, along with a couple of Smithsonian buildings. Likely will go up to Dupont Circle, since it is supposed to have some good bookstores and eating places. Also the National Aquarium during 2 p.m. feedings. :D

Sitarro
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
We are staying by the airport and riding the Metro into DC. Saves a ton of money on hotels and such. Probably won't go by the monuments. Summer is not the time to go to a lot of outdoor places, and I think their significance would be lost on a child seeking to have a good time. Perhaps on a later visit when she is older.
The White House and Congress are definite must-sees, along with a couple of Smithsonian buildings. Likely will go up to Dupont Circle, since it is supposed to have some good bookstores and eating places. Also the National Aquarium during 2 p.m. feedings. :D

Congress? Be sure and point out the KKK Byrd before he drops dead while filibustering and the soon to be ex-Senator Kennedy ..... a couple of soon to be extinct shitheads.:salute:

darin
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
The monuments won't be wasted on her when she looks back at the photos of her near them ;)

Explain to her the sacrifices made which drove the placing of the monuments.

Abbey Marie
07-16-2008, 08:54 PM
The monuments won't be wasted on her when she looks back at the photos of her near them ;)

Explain to her the sacrifices made which drove the placing of the monuments.

Well said, my friend. :clap:

diuretic
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
The National Archives.

And I don't know if you can still do it but I thought walking up inside the Washington Monument was really good.

Kathianne
07-17-2008, 05:10 AM
The National Archives.

And I don't know if you can still do it but I thought walking up inside the Washington Monument was really good.
Washington Monument would be great for 7 year old. The National Archives? :slap:

diuretic
07-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Washington Monument would be great for 7 year old. The National Archives? :slap:

But....but.....but.....all the important documents are there! :laugh2:

Kathianne
07-17-2008, 08:15 AM
But....but.....but.....all the important documents are there! :laugh2:

True, true. :laugh2: For some maybe high school, some college, some retirement.

diuretic
07-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Gaby should grab the kid and hold her up so she can see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. But be careful not to lean on the glass or the nice security guard will growl, "keep off the shrine". :laugh2:

Kathianne
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Gaby should grab the kid and hold her up so she can see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. But be careful not to lean on the glass or the nice security guard will growl, "keep off the shrine". :laugh2:

Ah, American Treasure. :laugh2:

diuretic
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Exactly - it was my ex who was told by the guard to not lean on the glass. In her defence we were both fascinated by the documents. That's why I thought even a 7 year old might be interested.

And you can also get some neat souvenirs there :D