PDA

View Full Version : Doctor's Jest Makes Woman Greedy

darin
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
A doctor put a TEMPORARY Tattoo of a rose on a woman's stomach while she was under - and now she claims to be "extremely emotionally upset" by it.

Dumb Greedy biotch.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080716_Surgeon_sued_for_giving_anesthetized_pati ent_temporary_tattoo.html

:-/

In a lawsuit filed yesterday, a Camden County woman accused her orthopedic surgeon of "rubbing a temporary tattoo of a red rose" on her belly while she was under anesthesia.

The patient discovered the tattoo below the panty line the next morning, when her husband was helping her get dressed to go home after the operation for a herniated disc, her attorney, Gregg A. Shivers, said in a phone interview yesterday.

"She was extremely emotionally upset by it," said Shivers. The suit, filed on behalf of Elizabeth Mateo in Camden County Superior Court, seeks punitive and compensatory damages from Steven Kirshner, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with offices in Marlton and Lumberton, both in Burlington County.

Kirshner does not deny placing the tattoo - and has left washable marks on patients before to improve their spirits, his lawyer, Robert Agre of Haddonfield, said last night. He said none has complained.

"What's offensive about this complaint is that it suggests something he did was intended to be prurient, and nothing could be further from the truth," said Agre. "It was intended just to make the patient feel better."

The ClayTaurus
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
A doctor put a TEMPORARY Tattoo of a rose on a woman's stomach while she was under - and now she claims to be "extremely emotionally upset" by it.

Dumb Greedy biotch.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080716_Surgeon_sued_for_giving_anesthetized_pati ent_temporary_tattoo.html

:-/It's probably a money grab, but that doctor is an idiot. How fake tattoos in moderately private areas are supposed to cheer a patient up, I don't know. She signed off for that doctor to operate on her spine, not conduct art class around her waistline.

Yurt
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
while the doctor's intent might be benign, it seems to me that it may still be an unpermitted touching...battery...as the woman did not give consent

darin
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
It's probably a money grab, but that doctor is an idiot. How fake tattoos in moderately private areas are supposed to cheer a patient up, I don't know. She signed off for that doctor to operate on her spine, not conduct art class around her waistline.

Moderately private? It was on her stomach. :-/ And he's a doctor.

Dilloduck
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
In this day and age he should have done the surgery blindfolded lest he offend the poor lady's modesty.

The ClayTaurus
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Moderately private? It was on her stomach. :-/ And he's a doctor.It was below the pantyline, which is hardly as innocent as the stomach. That point aside, you're right. He's a doctor. Not a tattoo artist (fake or real). And just because he's a doctor doesn't grant him right to strip every patient naked and check them for breast cancer either. You do not want to start down the slippery slope of allowing "I'm a doctor" to serve as a legitimate excuse for doing something others can't. (Well, maybe YOU do ;)) If you walked up to a sleeping woman on the beach and tried to slip a fake tattoo under her bikini, you'd be strung up.

If he wants to cheer up his patients, he should concentrate on getting the surgery done right the first time.

Nukeman
07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
It was below the pantyline, which is hardly as innocent as the stomach. .

Not everyone wears skimpy little bikini type underwear. "below the pantie line" can be half way up her stomach depending on the type of underwear your talking about.

That point aside, you're right. He's a doctor. Not a tattoo artist (fake or real). And just because he's a doctor doesn't grant him right to strip every patient naked and check them for breast cancer either.
Your right it doesn't but I guarantee that when she went in for surgery she was NOT wearing anything except a sheet!

You do not want to start down the slippery slope of allowing "I'm a doctor" to serve as a legitimate excuse for doing something others can't. (Well, maybe YOU do ;)) If you walked up to a sleeping woman on the beach and tried to slip a fake tattoo under her bikini, you'd be strung up.
True you probably would but than again she probably wouldn't sue you for it either. Just because he is a doctor doesn't mean that he should be sued so that everyones malpractice insurance premiums should go up or that the hospital should have a knee jerk reaction to the suit (which I guarantee they will, they always do)

If he wants to cheer up his patients, he should concentrate on getting the surgery done right the first timeDid the article say he was repeating the surgery? If so I missed that part.

Now I am not saying what this physician did was right but I do not think suing is the appropriate action. If the woman really wants justice she will go the legal route of unwanted contact or inappropriate touching, however she won't get that $50,000 surgery paid for that way will she!!!!!

Abbey Marie
07-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't think the tattoo was evidence of prurient behavior. What it does seem like is an unauthorized use of her body, and I'll bet it made her feel that the doctor had an unwarranted sense of ownership over it.

An apology to the patient, being taken to task by the hospital admin., and a memo to the entire staff embarassing him, should suffice as remedies, imo.

Yurt
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think the tattoo was evidence of prurient behavior. What it does seem like is an unauthorized use of her body, and I'll bet it made her feel that the doctor had an unwarranted sense of ownership over it.

An apology to the patient, being taken to task by the hospital admin., and a memo to the entire staff embarassing him, should suffice as remedies, imo.

yes, nominal damages, because unless she can show such treatment either shocks the conscience or shows true psychological damage that resulted in actual damages, then nominal.

if it was me, i would find it offensive and unpermitted, enough for a battery(intentional), but that is up to the jury if civil and no way would this be criminal

07-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Dr. made a stupid mistake and is lucky criminal charges are pressed.

The ClayTaurus
07-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Not everyone wears skimpy little bikini type underwear. "below the pantie line" can be half way up her stomach depending on the type of underwear your talking about.You're going to argue that some panty lines are acceptable, while others are not?

Your right it doesn't but I guarantee that when she went in for surgery she was NOT wearing anything except a sheet!Which grants the doctor exactly what rights?
True you probably would but than again she probably wouldn't sue you for it either. Just because he is a doctor doesn't mean that he should be sued so that everyones malpractice insurance premiums should go up or that the hospital should have a knee jerk reaction to the suit (which I guarantee they will, they always do)I don't recall ever defending the woman suing the guy. I was merely attacking the stupidity of the doctor. If he would have simply NOT acted so incredibly unprofessional, the whole incident would have been avoided.
Did the article say he was repeating the surgery? If so I missed that part.My point about getting the surgery right was not meant to be taken literally, but since you brought it up, orthopedic surgeons, in general, are not so good at working on your spine. They just fuse everything together for a temporary fix... or so I've been told.
Now I am not saying what this physician did was right but I do not think suing is the appropriate action. If the woman really wants justice she will go the legal route of unwanted contact or inappropriate touching, however she won't get that $50,000 surgery paid for that way will she!!!!!So what's your suggested response if she's unhappy? Press charges?

The ClayTaurus
07-17-2008, 03:34 AM

An apology to the patient, being taken to task by the hospital admin., and a memo to the entire staff embarassing him, should suffice as remedies, imo.That's certainly a good start. I'm undecided if it needs to go any further than that... it would have to depend more on the specifics and his track record, I suppose... and whether he understands that what he did fundamentally is not right.

Sitarro
07-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Have him go to work with Cindy McCain's group that perform surgeries on children with cleft palates........ a couple hundred hours worth should get him to realize that the work he does is serious and not a joke.

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 03:47 AM
But, that would never excuse his violating that woman, zero, or do you disagree?

Have him go to work with Cindy McCain's group that perform surgeries on children with cleft palates........ a couple hundred hours worth should get him to realize that the work he does is serious and not a joke.

"Greedy biotch" is what someone else in this thread called her?!?!?!?!?!?!??! I can't believe that poster hasn't been banned!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pukes are self destructive, aren't you?

Sitarro
07-17-2008, 04:40 AM
But, that would never excuse his violating that woman, zero, or do you disagree?

Yea I disagree, violating her???? Try playing a very unprofessional joke on her. We have no idea of what their relationship was, he obviously felt comfortable enough with it to think he wasn't risking his career. You have no problem with Clinton's rape of numerous women and yet you get all indignant over a simpleton's joke....... Typical. Just as you let Obama's stupidity ride........ let see, he stated he had been to 57 states with one left, but he wasn't allowed to go to Hawaii and Alaska. That adds up to 60 states, you are excusing a Presidential nominee that thinks we have 60 states!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

"Greedy biotch" is what someone else in this thread called her?!?!?!?!?!?!??! I can't believe that poster hasn't been banned!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pukes are self destructive, aren't you?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if she is trying to add to the senseless lawsuits that have made the health care in this country so prohibitive in cost in order to line her own pocketbook......yea a greedy, lying, cheating, asshole bitch. I just went through surgery earlier this year, I would have laughed it off.

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 04:48 AM
She is not looking for monetary gain, zero, but she does expect an apology from the idiot. How can you defend such an unprofessional action? You might not agree but if any person, doctor or not, pulled down the drawers of any female in my family and planted a reminder that he had been there deserves my wrath whether it be in the case of a lawsuit (if he is very lucky) or a gunshot. At least an ass whuppin' is in order, don't you think?

Sitarro
07-17-2008, 04:56 AM
She is not looking for monetary gain, zero, but she does expect an apology from the idiot. How can you defend such an unprofessional action? You might not agree but if any person, doctor or not, pulled down the drawers of any female in my family and planted a reminder that he had been there deserves my wrath whether it be in the case of a lawsuit (if he is very lucky) or a gunshot. At least an ass whuppin' is in order, don't you think?

seeks punitive and compensatory damages

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 05:00 AM
That's her lawyer speaking, zero. Even lawyers are entitled to compensation aren't they?

seeks punitive and compensatory damages

You are really a gas tonight, zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you tried "Beano"? You really need a good fart!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
That's her lawyer speaking, zero. Even lawyers are entitled to compensation aren't they?

You are really a gas tonight, zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you tried "Beano"? You really need a good fart!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh yeah... the damages are awarded to her, not the lawyer. No one is going to sue just so their lawyer gets all their money.

diuretic
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
The doc is ethically challenged. She isn't a fucking playground for his operating theatre wit.

darin
07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
It was below the pantyline, which is hardly as innocent as the stomach. That point aside, you're right. He's a doctor. Not a tattoo artist (fake or real). And just because he's a doctor doesn't grant him right to strip every patient naked and check them for breast cancer either. You do not want to start down the slippery slope of allowing "I'm a doctor" to serve as a legitimate excuse for doing something others can't. (Well, maybe YOU do ;)) If you walked up to a sleeping woman on the beach and tried to slip a fake tattoo under her bikini, you'd be strung up.

If he wants to cheer up his patients, he should concentrate on getting the surgery done right the first time.

You're taking massive liberties here. Using extreme words. The guy put a sticker on a patient. It's a gag his other patients seem to have loved, or liked, or tolerated in the past.

Not everyone wears skimpy little bikini type underwear. "below the pantie line" can be half way up her stomach depending on the type of underwear your talking about.

Your right it doesn't but I guarantee that when she went in for surgery she was NOT wearing anything except a sheet!

Well said. I'd bet she switched to granny-panties ONLY to make it 'under the panty line' just for this lawsuit.

She is not looking for monetary gain, zero, but she does expect an apology from the idiot.

www.hop.com

How can you defend such an unprofessional action? You might not agree but if any person, doctor or not, pulled down the drawers of any female in my family and planted a reminder that he had been there deserves my wrath whether it be in the case of a lawsuit (if he is very lucky) or a gunshot. At least an ass whuppin' is in order, don't you think?

If My wife was laying naked on an operating table, and a guy put a 'get well' sticker on her tummy we'd giggle. If he put a Eat at Joe's sticker low on her pelvis, with an arrow pointing towards her nether regions we'd probably think he went too far.

As an aside - to those in this thread:

What difference would exist had the Surgeon in question been female?

Abbey Marie
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
This story is local for me. Interestingly, one of our local morning news shows said that emails they received on the story were running heavily in favor of the doc.

Abbey Marie
07-17-2008, 10:15 AM

What difference would exist had the Surgeon in question been female?

Or the patient, male?

Yurt
07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
imo, it would not make a difference what gender the dr. is. if the touching was unpermitted and offensive, then it is wrong. whether it is offensive or not would be up to the jury, but i can see it being offensive, being under the knife is a sensitive experience and waking up with a tat, fake or real, would be a little shocker or surprise. at a minimum, the dr. reasonably could or should have foreseen that someone would take offense at it, even if no one had before, it is reasonable that someone would or could take offense to it.

Nukeman
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I think the point you missed is that if it was a female Dr than the patient wouldn't be upset, or would not be so "emotionaly distraught" of course this is just my opinion.

It is something I see almost everyday, the way women are given a pass to do things in the medical field that if done by a man would bring heavy sexual law suits. I hate the double standard

The ClayTaurus
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
You're taking massive liberties here. Using extreme words.Point them out so we can discuss them instead of merely alluding.
The guy put a sticker on a patient. It's a gag his other patients seem to have loved, or liked, or tolerated in the past.I'm sure he was just trying to be a nice guy, but his conduct is extremely unprofessional. "Being a nice guy" is not a free pass.
Well said. I'd bet she switched to granny-panties ONLY to make it 'under the panty line' just for this lawsuit.Speculative, at best.
If My wife was laying naked on an operating table, and a guy put a 'get well' sticker on her tummy we'd giggle. If he put a Eat at Joe's sticker low on her pelvis, with an arrow pointing towards her nether regions we'd probably think he went too far.You'd probably think he went to far? You're not completely sure about whether you'd be ok with that?

What difference would exist had the Surgeon in question been female?To the patient? Who knows. But in absolute terms, no difference the gender of either party. Wrong is wrong.

My Winter Storm
07-18-2008, 01:04 AM
The doctor shouldn't have touched her - if he touched her stomach, where else could he have touched her? She's already been violated by the doctor touching her stomach, when the operation was on her back. If he has placed this tattoo on her without her knowledge, where else could he have touched her while she was under?

Sitarro
07-18-2008, 01:47 AM
The doctor shouldn't have touched her - if he touched her stomach, where else could he have touched her? She's already been violated by the doctor touching her stomach, when the operation was on her back. If he has placed this tattoo on her without her knowledge, where else could he have touched her while she was under?

Yea, right there in the operating theater, he probably jumped on top of her and well, who knows?????? Maybe all of the nurses and the anesthesiologist took their place in line abusing this poor lady...... they should be put in front of a wall and shot by this destroyed woman, that would be the only way for them to pay....... or maybe a six figure settlement, yea, that's the ticket....... pathetic, what would Europeans think?