PDA

View Full Version : New sport combines boxing and chess

Yurt
07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
now why didn't i think of this...

New sport combines boxing and chess

BERLIN - Nikolay Sazhin almost knocked out his opponent with a blow to the chin in the second round. But he had to take the queen to win the match.

In front of 1,000 cheering fans one recent Saturday night....

The combatants switch back and forth between boxing and chess — repeatedly putting their gloves on and taking them off, so that they can move the pieces around the board without clumsily knocking them over — in a sort of brains-and-brawn biathlon.

Rubingh's inspiration was "Cold Equator," a 1992 French comic book in which two heavyweight boxers beat each other's brains out for 12 rounds and then play a 45-hour game of chess.

"That's not functional. So I thought about how it could work," Rubingh said.

In his version, a chessboard is brought into the ring on a table and the combatants play four minutes, after which the board is wheeled off very carefully so that the pieces don't fall over. Then the fighters put on the gloves and trade punches for a round, after which the board is brought back. The pattern is repeated over and over. The chess game can last up to 24 minutes.

If you knock your opponent out, the chess is over, too, and you win the match. If you beat your opponent at chess, then the boxing is over, and you are the victor. In the case of a draw at the chessboard, the boxer with more points in the ring is declared the winner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/ap_on_re_eu/chess_boxing;_ylt=AsqCdha4wLLZrxpJ7E5uALMDW7oF

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/photogalleries/wip-week54/images/primary/6_461.jpg

emmett
07-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm speechless! I want to comment, I just can't you know.

Basically, if I'm good enough at chess, I can be the next Heavyweight champion of the world? Coooooool!

Abbey Marie
07-18-2008, 09:16 PM
What an improbable idea. I guess you can just play defense on one activity, as long as you are very good at the other.