PDA

View Full Version : Big Tobacco Lures Young Smokers With Menthol Cigarettes

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Is it the study or the industry that is flawed? all these recent lawsuits and still there are billions to be made peddling cigarettes to our youth and others. Apparently the lawsuits aren't working well enough!!!!!!!!!!

HealthDay News) -- Tobacco companies are manipulating menthol levels in cigarettes to appeal to newer, younger smokers, part of a deliberate strategy to get younger people, particularly African-Americans, hooked, a new study contends.

Menthol makes cigarettes more palatable to the novice smoker.

"If anything, menthol is being used as a candy to help the toxin go down," said Dr. Gregory Connolly, senior author of a paper being published in the September issue of the American Journal of Public Health. "If we let the industry go ahead and willy-nilly design the product the way they want to, it's going to lead to the premature death of millions and millions of Americans. Our research says we have to go after this."

A bill pending in Congress would give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration power to regulate menthol and other additives in cigarettes.

"This study provides evidence of one of the many ways tobacco companies manipulate the ingredients in cigarettes in an effort to entice and addict new consumers," John R. Seffrin, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society, said in a news release. "Legislation in Congress would give the FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and put an end to tobacco industry practices that prey upon children and blatantly mislead adults. The bill would end the marketing of tobacco products to children, force companies for the first time to disclose the ingredients in their products and allow the FDA to regulate all tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes, based on science."

Menthol itself is not addictive, but it can ease the "delivery" of nicotine, which is highly addictive. More than 70 percent of African-American smokers use menthol cigarettes, compared with about 30 percent of white smokers. It's unclear if menthol cigarettes are more harmful than "regular" cigarettes, the study authors said.

Maybe we need to go back to about 70% of Americans smoking cigarettes?!?!?!?!??! Maybe then we won't have such cowards in the judiciary?!?!?!?!?!??!?

stephanie
07-17-2008, 01:45 AM
I guess if you call it, BIG tobacco, BIG oil, that is suppose to make it scary...

Well how come when there is a real threat of BIG GOVERNMENT, nobody gives a shit...

No matter...I'll be able to tell my great grandchildren what it was like to be free from the BIG GOVERNMENT once in our lifetime...:cheers2:

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
There has never been in the history of the United States of America a larger Government or a larger debt for our grandchildren and even their children to somehow make good than what we have now, stevie. I hope you tell your great grand children the truth. If you don't, I intend to make the information available for them even though I may have been long dead at the time they read about it.

I guess if you call it, BIG tobacco, BIG oil, that is suppose to make it scary...

Well how come when there is a real threat of BIG GOVERNMENT, nobody gives a shit...

No matter...I'll be able to tell my great grandchildren what it was like to be free from the BIG GOVERNMENT once in our lifetime...:cheers2:

Keep on the sunny side, stevie!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
07-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Like any drug, education is really the only option. Big Government can try to control tobacco products but like drugs, it's a waste of time. If someone wants to smoke they will. Raise the price and you start a black market which means more crime, more law enforcement and more prisons....... for what? To keep a free people from doing what they want? Not very free. :salute:

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Anything to avoid the subject of the big government as created by the very worst president in the history of our country, zero?

Like any drug, education is really the only option. Big Government can try to control tobacco products but like drugs, it's a waste of time. If someone wants to smoke they will. Raise the price and you start a black market which means more crime, more law enforcement and more prisons....... for what? To keep a free people from doing what they want? Not very free. :salute:

But, you are absolutely correct about cigarettes. Did you know that over 80% of mideasterners smoke American cigarettes? Advertising!!!!!!!!!!! And they whine about being held even marginally responsible for their lies, deceit in advertising and business practices?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Good God??????? Just who are they trying to fool now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!?

Sitarro
07-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Anything to avoid the subject of the big government as created by the very worst president in the history of our country, zero?

This is the same President that has dealt with the worst attack on our nation and one of the worst natural disasters in our nation's history, all the while being fought by whining losers from the left, Hollywood and their brothers in the that joke known as the press, a Congress filled with useless assholes and saboteurs from both sides, major countries that were in bed with one of our worst enemies, a useless UN, an army of illegals welcomed by Democrats hoping for easy votes and intentional talking down of the economy by the flakes in the Democrat party and their shithead followers.

Even with all of this against him he kicked the Taliban out of Afghanistan and oversaw free elections there, destroyed a pile of shit murderous dictator and his thug murderer sons and oversaw free election in that country..... Iraq. Tried to help a bunch of idiot Democrats in Louisiana avert disaster and then allowed the same shits to place the blame solely on him when they did nothing for the people of their own state. He has even allowed that imbecile ex President Carter run his ignorant alzheimer stricken mouth to the world in criticism of a sitting President(truly one of the lowest, most classless things any fool has ever done) without dignifying him with a response. He has put up with two bit dictators like that little fag troll Chavez badmouthing him at the UN without a word in his defense from the shit heads in Congress. He's put up with bullshit criticisms from that lesbian doormat Hillary, that drunk asshole Kennedy, that racist rambling old fuck Byrd and continues to treat them with dignity and respect. He is so much more of a man than any of them, a true gentleman that this country of assholes don't deserve.

Your half of the country deserve a fucking punk like that empty useless twerp Obama, a clown boy that knows nothing about anything but the racist inferiority complex he has lived with his short privileged life. Of course the rest of the world is in favor of this dolt, they know they will be able to have their way with his weak semi-black ass and he will welcome every one of them with his pants down and butt up. The problem is we will be the ones that suffer, he will enjoy every stroke.

But, you are absolutely correct about cigarettes. Did you know that over 80% of mideasterners smoke American cigarettes? Advertising!!!!!!!!!!! And they whine about being held even marginally responsible for their lies, deceit in advertising and business practices?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Good God??????? Just who are they trying to fool now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!?[/QUOTE]

I'm smoking a cigar as I type this, got to get as many in as I can before your boys make everything fun, illegal. That is except for the things they think are fun like molesting kids, fag sex, bestiality.......etc., etc.

What lies, anyone with the sense to breath and walk upright know the risks of tobacco, every pack has an idiot notice on them.

Psychoblues
07-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Soooooooo,,,,,,,,you're one of the roughly 10% that still adamantly supports the idiot? That's your problem, not mine, zero. I learned a long time ago that there is always that 10%, don't you know?

Post 9/11 your prez was given a gift certificate that even Ceasar would have envied. He spent it frivously, stupidly and with all the advise against it that could be garnered at the time.

I think America will recover but the reputation of one gwb will never be redeemed. And the Republican Party will suffer his idiocies for many years to come.

Go ahead and smoke your cigar, zero. Your sin is your own and I don't claim any responsibilty for it.

red states rule
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Do a search and see all the duty free shops where you can buy tobacco products.

The prices can be as low a 1/3 of the prices you pay in the US

Like with gas, the government makes more off the sale of a pack of cigarettes then the tobacco companies

Yurt
07-18-2008, 04:12 PM
There has never been in the history of the United States of America a larger Government or a larger debt for our grandchildren and even their children to somehow make good than what we have now, stevie. I hope you tell your great grand children the truth. If you don't, I intend to make the information available for them even though I may have been long dead at the time they read about it.

Keep on the sunny side, stevie!!!!!!!!!!!

and obama wants to make government smaller .... right :poke:

Sitarro
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Do a search and see all the duty free shops where you can buy tobacco products.

The prices can be as low a 1/3 of the prices you pay in the US

Like with gas, the government makes more off the sale of a pack of cigarettes then the tobacco companies

I wonder what Obammy is, a Newporter or a KOOL boy?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

stephanie
07-18-2008, 06:14 PM

I'd say Newporter.

red states rule
07-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Probably Gitanes, a popular French brand

Obama would not want to embarrass himself to his base

emmett
07-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Actually, he smokes Marlboro folks.

red states rule
07-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Actually, he smokes Marlboro folks.

Will he lift the White House smoking ban if elected? Or will the liberal media have to be on 24 watch to catch him going outside to smoke?

Psychoblues
07-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Either way, he kicks your ass to the curb, rsr.

Will he lift the White House smoking ban if elected? Or will the liberal media have to be on 24 watch to catch him going outside to smoke?

Are you that convinced he is going to the White House? The irony is overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
07-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Either way, he kicks your ass to the curb, rsr.

Are you that convinced he is going to the White House? The irony is overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't doubt that this clown imbecile will end up in the White House, with the backing of the Chicago Mob and George Soros he will be the best President money and corruption can buy........ a nimrod that does exactly what he's told or else.:laugh2: You must be very proud.

Psychoblues
07-19-2008, 03:36 AM
He certainly couldn't be any worse than what you goose stepping nimrods have supported for the last 7 1/2 years, zero.

I don't doubt that this clown imbecile will end up in the White House, with the backing of the Chicago Mob and George Soros he will be the best President money and corruption can buy........ a nimrod that does exactly what he's told or else.:laugh2: You must be very proud.

Seriously, cowgirl, you been listening to Rush a little too long, haven't you?