View Full Version : Nat Hentoff: Disillusioned about Barack Obama

stephanie
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh oh..trouble for the boy wonder..

By Nat Hentoff -
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, July 17, 2008
Story appeared in section, Page NONE

Print | E-Mail | Comments (22)|

During my more than 60 years of covering national politics, I have never seen a candidate's principles and character so effectively tarnished — after so extraordinarily inspiring a start — as Barack Obama's. He has come to resemble another mellifluous orator I came to know in Boston during my first time reporting on a campaign — James Michael Curley, the skilful prestidigitator whom Spencer Tracy masterfully played in the movie "The Last Hurrah." Obama's deflation has not been due to ruthless opposition research by John McCain's team but by the "change" candidate himself. Like millions of Americans, I, for a time, was buoyed by not only the real-time prospect of our first black president but much more by the likelihood that Obama would pierce the dense hypocrisy and insatiable power-grabbing of current American politics.

Also, as a former teacher of constitutional law, Obama gave me "hope I could believe in" that he would rescue the Constitution's separation of powers, resuscitate the Bill of Rights and begin to restore our reputation around the world as a truly law-abiding nation.

Savoring the high expectations he had secured among so many Americans, Obama has decided he can also come closer to securing the Oval Office by softening his starlight enough to change some of his principles toward the calming center of our stormy political waters.

In a defense by Dan Gerstein, a New York political consultant — echoing what you'll be hearing more of from Obama's campaign operatives — the gossamer script goes: "He is trying to broaden his appeal to a larger electorate and to be true to this postpartisan, unifying message that he's been campaigning on." But instead of the ennobling clarion trombones of CHANGE we have been promised, this "adjusting" of one's principles has long been the common juggling of our common politicians.

read the rest and comments
http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/1087993.html

Abbey Marie
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Also, as a former teacher of constitutional law, Obama gave me "hope I could believe in" that he would rescue the Constitution's separation of powers, resuscitate the Bill of Rights and begin to restore our reputation around the world as a truly law-abiding nation.

A liberal rescue the separation of powers? Dear lord, they couldn't survive without judges legislating from the bench, to prop up their skewed version of the Constitution.

Psychoblues
07-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Wanna bet? Liberals have only each other on which to rely. It is the pukes that rely on crooked and self serving laws to hide their malfeasance. Do you read much?

Yurt
07-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Wanna bet? Liberals have only each other on which to rely. It is the pukes that rely on crooked and self serving laws to hide their malfeasance. Do you read much?

example?