PDA

View Full Version : Attending a wedding reception this Saturday

KitchenKitten99
07-17-2008, 01:55 PM
My husband's cousin Aaron, married a very sweet and cool girl (Ana) who was born in Spain and was here on a work Visa. They got married in Spain last September. We were invited, but with two kids and no extra money, we couldn't go. We sent a nice gift basket and good wishes.

Well, because there were several who could not attend the wedding, they are having a 'reception' here this Saturday, with all of Ana's relatives from Spain coming, as well as a couple of Aaron's friends that he made in Japan while he was there as an English teacher for a year. The couple now live in DC, so we see them only a few times a year.

So, this should prove to be a very cool event. I'm even brushing up on my Spanish so that I can converse with them easier, as I don't know the extent of their English skills, and I want to be able to have a good conversation with them.

It isn't a potluck, but I want to bring something to give to Ana's parents as a gift from us. Anyone have a suggestion of something truly American (but not tacky) that they can take back?

I don't want it to be a trinket or something that will just collect dust. It has to be something practical...

mrg666
07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
A GW BUSH portrait :salute:

Abbey Marie
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I couldn't say, since I do not know the people at all, but I would recommend you get something small. They need to pack whatever it is in their luggage, and the costs per checked bag charged by some airlines are getting pretty steep.

KitchenKitten99
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
A GW BUSH portrait :salute:

Lol, yeah, sure. I don't even like him that much right now... at least not as much as I used to.

Maybe something uniquely Minnesotan?

The ClayTaurus
07-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Lol, yeah, sure. I don't even like him that much right now... at least not as much as I used to.

Maybe something uniquely Minnesotan?A mosquito?

KitchenKitten99
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
A mosquito?

:laugh2:

Believe me, they'll show up all by themselves. DH's aunt and uncle live right on a lake.

Kathianne
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM

Maybe something uniquely Minnesotan?

Some memorabilia from the Mall of the Americas? Big, gawdy, and at the heart of our economic system?

Kathianne
07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Another idea, take photos all around the areas they will visit. What you may not be able to take yourself, you can download. Put into a nice album with a personal note.

MtnBiker
07-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Another idea, take photos all around the areas they will visit. What you may not be able to take yourself, you can download. Put into a nice album with a personal note.

That is a fantastic idea, also maybe add a bottle of something like this;

Edelweiss wine from Minnesota
https://www.whiskeyruncreek.com/img/products/l_we001.jpg

https://www.whiskeyruncreek.com/main.taf?erube_fh=wrcreek&wrcreek.submit.getproductdetails=true&wrcreek.productids=WE001&p=4,1,1

KitchenKitten99
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
That is a fantastic idea, also maybe add a bottle of something like this;

Edelweiss wine from Minnesota
https://www.whiskeyruncreek.com/img/products/l_we001.jpg

https://www.whiskeyruncreek.com/main.taf?erube_fh=wrcreek&wrcreek.submit.getproductdetails=true&wrcreek.productids=WE001&p=4,1,1

DOOD! Edelweiss wine! I never thought about that! I'm totally getting that for them!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!! :dance:

Abbey Marie
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM

Great idea, Kath. If I were Fuzzy, I would go with that.

gabosaurus
07-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Wine is always a welcome gift. Good idea!!

Yurt
07-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Wine is always a welcome gift. Good idea!!

i find this to be a welcome gift at my wife's parties (both family and others) and oh yes, she loves it, and so do i, but the sinner in me spikes mine once in a while....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/MartinellisBottle.jpg

KitchenKitten99
07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Just wanted to post that the bottle of Edelweiss wine went over very well. Her parents spoke a little English, although her brothers both spoke fairly good English as well as a few family members were 'ok' in it. But the families thought ahead, and since one of the other cousins is a high-school Spanish teacher, he was asked to be a translator, and he also brought a few friends he knew that are fluent to be translators as well.

Ana's grandfather, Pepe, was just a riot because he kept trying to take off with the bottle of wine I gave Ana's mom & dad.

I didn't need too much help of translators other than a few vocabulary words and verb conjugations, as small talk was fairly easy for me to communicate.

Gaffer
07-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all. That's great Fuzz.