PDA

View Full Version : Poor people, can't afford food

Trigg
07-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I saw this article and had to post it. Everyone needs to take a gander at the picture of the 400 pound women who "can't afford good food". Poor woman has had to cut down on ice cream.

Nunez and her six siblings grew up middle class.

Nunez and most of her siblings and their spouses are unemployed and rely on government assistance and food stamps. Some have part-time jobs,

Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree. She says a car accident 17 years ago left her depressed and disabled, incapable of getting a job. Instead, she and her daughter, Angelica Hernandez, survive on a $637 Social Security check and $102 in food stamps.

Off to the side it also says that for her and her 19 yr old daughter they spend $250 a month of food, their only other bill being $100 in subsidized rent.

Why arn't her 6 siblings able to find work?

Why isn't her 19yr old able to find work?

Why don't these people move to a new area to find work??

Can anyone say LAZY??

I spend less than $500 a month and I feed 6 people

April15
07-19-2008, 02:05 PM
So is there a link or how about what area of nation this is in or more background info.

Roomy
07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
"let them eat cake"

:laugh2:

Joe Steel
07-19-2008, 02:27 PM
So is there a link or how about what area of nation this is in or more background info.

For Some Ohioans, Even Meat Is Out Of Reach (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92592545)

As you will see, the original poster misrepresented the article. The woman and her family have been victimized by capitalists and their conservative stooges.

Roomy
07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
For Some Ohioans, Even Meat Is Out Of Reach (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92592545)

As you will see, the original poster misrepresented the article. The woman and her family have been victimized by capitalists and their conservative stooges.

I can't for the life of me understand why everyone hates you?

-Cp
07-19-2008, 03:17 PM
HOLY LORD!! IT'S A GOOD THING THEY CAN'T AFFORD AS MUCH FOOD!!

http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2008/july/ohio/nunez540.jpg

Roomy
07-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Who are you trying to fucking kid you ignoramous? It is a well known fact that poor people eat fattening unhealthy food because it is cheap and readily available, that is why you are the most obese country in the world.Reality check moron, step on the scales you fat bastard, the likelyhood is that you are morbidly obese and have posted that pic and comment for a cheap laugh.:salute:

God bless America land of the fat, ignorant, disenfrachised thick bastards.

Hobbit
07-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Who are you trying to fucking kid you ignoramous? It is a well known fact that poor people eat fattening unhealthy food because it is cheap and readily available, that is why you are the most obese country in the world.Reality check moron, step on the scales you fat bastard, the likelyhood is that you are morbidly obese and have posted that pic and comment for a cheap laugh.:salute:

That's a myth. The really fatty stuff is cheaper only when you have prepared food, meaning eating out. As a college student living on a VERY tight budget, I can tell you that the cheapest things to eat are NOT fattening, given that you're actually willing to spend a little time COOKING them, things like rice, beans, in-season veggies, etc.

Roomy
07-19-2008, 03:33 PM
That's a myth. The really fatty stuff is cheaper only when you have prepared food, meaning eating out. As a college student living on a VERY tight budget, I can tell you that the cheapest things to eat are NOT fattening, given that you're actually willing to spend a little time COOKING them, things like rice, beans, in-season veggies, etc.

Add the price of the energy to cook the food.:cool:

April15
07-19-2008, 03:51 PM

As you will see, the original poster misrepresented the article. The woman and her family have been victimized by capitalists and their conservative stooges.Thank you for the link.
The poster has misrepresented the facts by omission.

07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Are there really people who can't work? I mean barring the absolutely retarded and insane people. Heck, Ive seen people with mental handicaps work. What on earth can possibly prevent people from doing something for work?

Trigg
07-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Thank you for the link.

I forgot to post the link. The only things I posted were directly from the article. Hard to misrepresent direct quotes.

Trigg
07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Are there really people who can't work? I mean barring the absolutely retarded and insane people. Heck, Ive seen people with mental handicaps work. What on earth can possibly prevent people from doing something for work?

What I find impossible to understand is why this lady, her child and most of her 6 siblings and their spouses can't find work. What the hell??

Trigg
07-19-2008, 04:15 PM

I hope your kidding. :lame2:

Silver
07-19-2008, 04:19 PM
What I find impossible to understand is why this lady, her child and most of her 6 siblings and their spouses can't find work. What the hell??

Must be the Mexicans taking all the jobs....:slap::poke::slap:

Yurt
07-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Thank you for the link.

exactly what fact was misrepresented? that RR caused this somehow :laugh2:

5stringJeff
07-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Those women could survive a few months without eating.

07-19-2008, 05:00 PM

What gets me is that no one comes up with the brilliant idea that if you cant find work, Create it.

April15
07-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I forgot to post the link. The only things I posted were directly from the article. Hard to misrepresent direct quotes.You did not include exculpatory information, such as layed off from automobile manufacturing.

April15
07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
exactly what fact was misrepresented? that RR caused this somehow :laugh2:As much as RR screwed things up this is not one that can be attributed to him. The exculpatory information that follows puts an entirely different light on the title.

2008 · A generation ago, the livelihood of Gloria Nunez's family was built on cars.

Her father worked at General Motors for 45 years before retiring. Her mother taught driver's education. Nunez and her six siblings grew up middle class.

Things have changed considerably for this Ohio family.

Nunez's van broke down last fall. Now, her 19-year-old daughter has no reliable transportation out of their subsidized housing complex in Fostoria, 40 miles south of Toledo, to look for a job.

Nunez and most of her siblings and their spouses are unemployed and rely on government assistance and food stamps. Some have part-time jobs, but working is made more difficult with no car or public transportation.

Low-income families in Ohio say they are particularly hard-hit by the changes in the economy, according to a new poll conducted by NPR, The Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard School of Public Health. Two-thirds of lower-income respondents, or 66 percent, say paying for gas is a serious problem because of recent changes in the economy. Nearly half of low-income Ohioans, or 47 percent, say that getting a well-paying job or a raise in pay is also major problem.

April15
07-19-2008, 05:55 PM
What gets me is that no one comes up with the brilliant idea that if you cant find work, Create it.Are you familiar with Ohio and the economic meltdown in that area of the nation.

April15
07-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Those women could survive a few months without eating.More like years!

07-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you familiar with Ohio and the economic meltdown in that area of the nation.

Are you familiar with getting up off your duff and creating your own job

Little-Acorn
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM

You don't get that fat by eating fatty foods.

You get that fat by eating ONE HELL OF A LOT of fatty foods. Far more than you need for a normal, healthy diet.

Those two women could cut their food budget by 2/3 and have a normal, healthy diet. And enough money for bus fare to find a job, and/or to fix their car.

Do you know what the biggest health problem of the poor, is? It's not starvation or malnutrition.

It's obesity.

And if I ever saw a poster child for that sad fact, these two women are it.

They get ZERO sympathy from me. They're getting my tax dollars to support them while they do nothing, becuase they're depressed from sothing that happened many years ago.

That's all they get. Sorry, "ladies".

April15
07-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Are you familiar with getting up off your duff and creating your own jobAs a businessman I am very familiar. The area they live in is very hard hit economically. Being that the auto industry was all they knew I could imagine it is not likely they have the skills or talent for any other work.

April15
07-19-2008, 08:17 PM
You don't get that fat by eating fatty foods.

You get that fat by eating ONE HELL OF A LOT of fatty foods. Far more than you need for a normal, healthy diet.

Those two women could cut their food budget by 2/3 and have a normal, healthy diet. And enough money for bus fare to find a job, and/or to fix their car.

Do you know what the biggest health problem of the poor, is? It's not starvation or malnutrition.

It's obesity.

And if I ever saw a poster child for that sad fact, these two women are it.

They get ZERO sympathy from me. They're getting my tax dollars to support them while they do nothing, becuase they're depressed from sothing that happened many years ago.

That's all they get. Sorry, "ladies".

They could have thyroid issues! Just sayin

Kathianne
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
They could have thyroid issues! Just sayin

Unlikely. They look like many that eat way too much food. Notice I'm not saying carbs, proteins, etc. Just calories.

Assuming they are Hispanic based on only surnames, they would be well advised to save money and calories by way limiting meat and too many tortillas. Load up on beans and veggies, in season.

Dilloduck
07-19-2008, 09:43 PM
I gotta check with MFM on this but I think the whole article is a tongue in cheek satire. We've been New Yorkered !!!!

Mr. P
07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
As a businessman I am very familiar. The area they live in is very hard hit economically. Being that the auto industry was all they knew I could imagine it is not likely they have the skills or talent for any other work.

And who's fault is that?

Kathianne
07-19-2008, 10:14 PM
As a businessman I am very familiar. The area they live in is very hard hit economically. Being that the auto industry was all they knew I could imagine it is not likely they have the skills or talent for any other work.

As a 'business man' are you saying their skills are not transferable? With a bit of training? I doubt that's not possible.

Dilloduck
07-19-2008, 10:24 PM

Therefore it's perfectly understandable for them to sit on their enormous asses and bitch until someone gives them money--food---gas--work--etc ? Is this what you call problem solving ????

PostmodernProphet
07-20-2008, 06:29 AM
As much as RR screwed things up this is not one that can be attributed to him. The exculpatory information that follows puts an entirely different light on the title.

2008 · A generation ago

???....why is the fact that her father used to work "exulpatory information"......she is forty years old and has never worked.......

Nukeman
07-20-2008, 07:44 AM
???....why is the fact that her father used to work "exulpatory information"......she is forty years old and has never worked.......
BINGO!!!!!!!! Don't try to tell them the truth!! You will just hurt their narrow minds!!!!!:poke:

Trigg
07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=April15;273838]
2008 · A generation ago, the livelihood of Gloria Nunez's family was built on cars. Her FATHERS livelihood was built on cars. Gloria HAS NEVER WORKED

Her father worked at General Motors for 45 years before retiring. Her mother taught driver's education. Nunez and her six siblings grew up middle class.
Things have changed considerably for this Ohio family.

Nunez's van broke down last fall. Now, her 19-year-old daughter has no reliable transportation out of their subsidized housing complex in Fostoria, 40 miles south of Toledo, to look for a job. Well then they need to move to another location. People do this ALL THE TIME, myself included.

Nunez and most of her siblings and their spouses are unemployed and rely on government assistance and food stamps. Some have part-time jobs, but working is made more difficult with no car or public transportation.Again, why does no one have a job? Why don't they move closer to a job or move closer to reliable public transportation???

Low-income families in Ohio say they are particularly hard-hit by the changes in the economy, according to a new poll conducted by NPR, The Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard School of Public Health. Two-thirds of lower-income respondents, or 66 percent, say paying for gas is a serious problem because of recent changes in the economy. Nearly half of low-income Ohioans, or 47 percent, say that getting a well-paying job or a raise in pay is also major problem.Toledo has city buses, and paying for gas is everyones problem right now.

As for your question to someone else regarding being familiar with this area of the country. I live in Indiana, I"m familiar with the industries in these states. There is just no excuse for this woman to sit on her ass and collect money for 40years instead of moving and getting a job.

82Marine89
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Sorry Roomy but that isn't so. I spend less on fresh vegetables than I did on junk food. Plus I can make a healthy vegetarian meal if I so wish. The problem is these folks have no self control and refuse to take responsibility for the situation they have created for themselves.

Classact
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM

God bless America land of the fat, ignorant, disenfrachised thick bastards.Those hogs need to limit themselves to a half hog deep fired in lard a day!

07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I gotta check with MFM on this but I think the whole article is a tongue in cheek satire. We've been New Yorkered !!!!

I think its a good discussion regardless whether the article was satire or not. Just because its satire doesnt mean it cant inspire good discussion.

DragonStryk72
07-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree. She says a car accident 17 years ago left her depressed and disabled, incapable of getting a job.

Okay, now hold the fuck on here, has anyone really looked at that picture? Not only is she overweight, but SHE IS STANDING UP. What fucking disability does this woman have that she CAN'T get a job that the guys in Wal-Mart do FROM A WHEELCHAIR.

Seriously, what, her disability also disallowed her to get her GED for 17 years? She has ten fingers, and apparently can stand, so I see no reason she couldn't do it. It would mean actually doing something, but thems the breaks.

This is the problem with the current welfare system, it actually rewards the worst sorts of life choices, "Oh, chose not to finish high school, and do want to work? That's fine, we'll cover you on that one."

To be clear, and those that are getting ready to get pissed at me over my slapping welfare recipients, There ARE people who really need the help, who need the aid, temporarily, to get themselves out of a situation they couldn't have forseen. That is not the case here, and there is no reason AT ALL that the government should be handing this woman, or her family, a monthly check to support her when it is obvious she is doing NOTHING to improve her position.

April15
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Okay, now hold the fuck on here, has anyone really looked at that picture? Not only is she overweight, but SHE IS STANDING UP. What fucking disability does this woman have that she CAN'T get a job that the guys in Wal-Mart do FROM A WHEELCHAIR.

Seriously, what, her disability also disallowed her to get her GED for 17 years? She has ten fingers, and apparently can stand, so I see no reason she couldn't do it. It would mean actually doing something, but thems the breaks.

This is the problem with the current welfare system, it actually rewards the worst sorts of life choices, "Oh, chose not to finish high school, and do want to work? That's fine, we'll cover you on that one."

To be clear, and those that are getting ready to get pissed at me over my slapping welfare recipients, There ARE people who really need the help, who need the aid, temporarily, to get themselves out of a situation they couldn't have forseen. That is not the case here, and there is no reason AT ALL that the government should be handing this woman, or her family, a monthly check to support her when it is obvious she is doing NOTHING to improve her position.

You do have a point.

LOki
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
The stupid and/or lazy are not an endangered species...we should stop treating them like one.

KitchenKitten99
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
The stupid and/or lazy are not an endangered species...we should stop treating them like one.

More like parasites, draining resources that others with a true need have a hard time getting? Maybe let natural selection take care of it?

Said1
07-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Wow. You could cut the hostility in this thread with a k-nife. :laugh2:

Yurt
07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.bosworthmagazine.com/images/butter.jpg

Gaffer
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I live in Ohio and these people are not unique. Nor is it a problem for them to get jobs if they want them. They are just lazy. As for companies like GM closing their doors, it's because of the ridiculously high taxes they have to pay to the state. When dems are in control of the state government the taxes go up. When repubs are in control the taxes remain static. Taxes are NEVER reduced in Ohio.

Hispanic names are also very popular among negroes in Ohio.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.bosworthmagazine.com/images/butter.jpg

My husband calls this "I Can't Believe It's Not Better".

Yurt
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
My husband calls this "I Can't Believe It's Not Better".

lol, but did you read the label closely on what i posted ;)

Abbey Marie
07-20-2008, 03:44 PM
lol, but did you read the label closely on what i posted ;)

Yup. :coffee:

My Winter Storm
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
These lard arses are not starving, they are a poor example of the 'poor'. Seeing these fatties who the hell is going to care about the poor when everyone will assume they are as fat as these bitches?

Get off your fucking arse and get a job. Disability my arse, - it's called being FAT and LAZY. That is all. Stop taking welfare and sponging off the taxpayer you fat heff lumps.

Fuck fatties like these hos shit me.

07-22-2008, 01:07 AM
When I was in High School, I remember quite a number of handicap people in my class. Some had alot of trouble moving, yet they graduated high school.

Can someone explain to me why a grown woman who can walk around would be unable to?

Nukeman
07-22-2008, 05:46 AM
I was on my way home from work and I heard an advertisement that would be perfect for these women, their 6 siblings and spouses who are out of work. They could all sell thier plasma for $220.00 a month. Now if you add all that up for the 14 people sponging off the tax payers of Ohio it equals $3080.00 a month. I think if they did that for a couple of months they could get a car fixed or even take turns "buying" a good one...

Of course this would mean they would have to be willing to do something for themselves.......

DragonStryk72
07-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I was on my way home from work and I heard an advertisement that would be perfect for these women, their 6 siblings and spouses who are out of work. They could all sell thier plasma for $220.00 a month. Now if you add all that up for the 14 people sponging off the tax payers of Ohio it equals $3080.00 a month. I think if they did that for a couple of months they could get a car fixed or even take turns "buying" a good one...

Of course this would mean they would have to be willing to do something for themselves.......

I've actually done plasma donation, it's fairly simple actually, just a matter of locating a place. I still do it occasionally, but not really for the money any more, but for all the various people the plasma helps.