PDA

View Full Version : Online Shopping To Save Gas and Money

Kathianne
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
For the past 3 Christmas seasons I did most of my shopping online. This year

due to gas prices and retailer's incentives, I'm doing lots more. It seems I'm not alone. Last week I ordered nearly $500 worth of clothes from Macy's, Ann Taylor, and Ann Taylor Loft. After trying them on I returned about $175 to Macy's and Ann Taylor, no shipping charges. All retailers were in the same mall, so the two stores returns had to be made at were in one drive. On the same day, I met friends for dinner at the same mall. Win/win, no extra gas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/business/19shop.html?ex=1374206400&en=ef628588199efbe7&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

July 19, 2008
To Save Gas, Shoppers Stay Home and Click
By STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM

To go shopping these days, more Americans are trading in their car keys for a keyboard.

Online shopping is gaining at a time when simply filling up a gas tank to head to the mall can seem like a spending spree.

A number of retailers — including Gap, Victoria’s Secret and J. C. Penney — are experiencing double-digit sales growth at their shopping Web sites, creating a surprising bright spot during an otherwise gloomy time for sales in brick-and-mortar stores.

One popular strategy for getting shoppers’ attention is offering free shipping, in contrast to many other businesses, like airlines, that are adding surcharges and other fees to offset their higher costs.

The Web sites of Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s, Bon-Ton Stores, Aéropostale, American Eagle Outfitters, Target and Kmart were all offering a deal on shipping this week.

“With gas being such an issue, we know that mall traffic is down more than off-mall traffic,” said Mike Boylson, chief marketing officer for J. C. Penney, which had an 8.7 percent increase in Internet sales in the first quarter of this year.

That is in contrast to a 7.4 percent decrease in sales at stores open at least a year, known as same-store sales and a measure of retail health. “We see more people turning to online because it’s much more efficient in terms of time and money,” Mr. Boylson said...

Now I will say I'm working at JC Penny's part time and today was 'Door Buster Sale', it was crazy busy!