PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing about going out to a movie (or multiple things)

Abbey Marie
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
(Inspired by Sitarro's comment that he hates going to the movies, as do many).

What do you think?

Poll is public, and multiple choices are allowed.

Yurt
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
the cost, food/tickets, people getting by...it is so nice to be able to watch movies at home and make my own popcorn and sit in my clean furniture.

retiredman
07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
if "multiple choices are allowed", how then can the poll be about THE WORST thing?

"The worst" implies a degree of singularity.

Said1
07-20-2008, 03:38 PM
if "multiple choices are allowed", how then can the poll be about THE WORST thing?

Pick, pick, pick. Nerd.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

True enough. Because you choose "multiple" as an option after you choose the subject.

If you notice, I only voted for one thing- the worst, imo.

I'll change the title, so you will be able to participate without reservation.

retiredman
07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
True enough. Because you choose "multiple" as an option after you choose the subject.

If you notice, I only voted for one thing- the worst, imo.

I'll change the title, so you will be able to participate without reservation.

I already voted...for THE WORST thing...

Abbey Marie
07-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I already voted...for THE WORST thing...

Participation means more than just the voting aspect.

retiredman
07-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Participation means more than just the voting aspect.

I have participated....I voted - ONCE - and I have posted twice.

Until I am wealthy enough to afford a screen as big as the one at the movie theater with a sound system to match, I will continue to go see movies in theaters and only long for the day when each moviegoer can be given a set of Bose-like noise cancelling headphones that play the soundtrack so that idiots who feel compelled to flap their gums can be blissfully relegated to irrelevance.

Yurt
07-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Pick, pick, pick. Nerd.

its sermon day don't forget

retiredman
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
its sermon day don't forget

today's was about the parable of the wheat and the tares. My wife said it was my best in months.

crin63
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm not a big movie goer. I've gone about 6 times this year which is allot for me. I've been letting the family talk me into going this year.

dan
07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I voted for the talkers. Other than that, I still like going to the movies. I mean, tickets and food are expensive, but they've been expensive since I was born, so it's kind of a very old very complaint that's not gonna change. People walking past you is irritating, but the same thing irritates me when I'm at church, at a concert, etc. Most of the movies I go to are R-rated, so kids aren't an issue. Any adult who goes to a G or PG movie and complains about the kids is kind of a dummy, in my opinion. Beyond that, it's just more fun to go to a movie, the screen is much bigger, there's far, far less distractions in a movie theater than in my apartment, etc.

Dilloduck
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I have participated....I voted - ONCE - and I have posted twice.

Until I am wealthy enough to afford a screen as big as the one at the movie theater with a sound system to match, I will continue to go see movies in theaters and only long for the day when each moviegoer can be given a set of Bose-like noise cancelling headphones that play the soundtrack so that idiots who feel compelled to flap their gums can be blissfully relegated to irrelevance.

I think Mexican theaters have that already. :laugh2:

5stringJeff
07-20-2008, 08:28 PM
It all sucks. That's why I have an HD TV and Netflix!

Mr. P
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
the cost, food/tickets, people getting by...it is so nice to be able to watch movies at home and make my own popcorn and sit in my clean furniture.

What he said...and you can pause, replay and have yer shoes off. I can't tell you when I last went to a theater.

Yurt
07-20-2008, 09:34 PM
What he said...and you can pause, replay and have yer shoes off. I can't tell you when I last went to a theater.

oh yes, the all powerful pause

can we say LOR III extended version in a theatre with no pause, uh no

darin
07-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Smack smack rattle rattle gulp. The sounds of folk diggin for and eating popcorn - the sounds of people stufifng their faces. That's the worst aspect of movie-going.

dan
07-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Smack smack rattle rattle gulp. The sounds of folk diggin for and eating popcorn - the sounds of people stufifng their faces. That's the worst aspect of movie-going.

I always found it funny that they package movie theater candy in the loudest cellaphane paper they could find.

Sitarro
07-21-2008, 08:23 AM

I can, "The Passion Of The Christ"(the only movie I have ever gone to that the idiots kept their mouths shut), before that, the original "Matrix"(the beginning, which wasn't toooo important, was destroyed by a bunch of loud negroes that were invading the theater I was in, while waiting to see some simpleton shit movie). Before that....... "Twister"(more idiots talking, when I first made the decision to never go to a theater again). The only reason I went to "The Matrix" was because my girlfriend wanted to.

I have a big enough screen, surround sound, cigars to smoke and beer to drink while sitting on my couch in silence........ I can wait to see the movie.

I may break my rule to see "The Dark Knight" during a matinee after school starts. As much as I liked the last one I would probably like this one on the big screen. One I really regretted not seeing at the theater was "Winged Migration"...... I'm obviously a big bird fan.

theHawk
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
(Inspired by Sitarro's comment that he hates going to the movies, as do many).

What do you think?

Poll is public, and multiple choices are allowed.

I hate it when people bring little kids to rated R movies. WTF are these people thinking?

dan
07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I hate it when people bring little kids to rated R movies. WTF are these people thinking?

I agree, this drives me nuts. It's just such blatantly bad parenting.

Off the top of my head, R-rated movies I saw in a theater that dumb parents brought their kids to:

Saving Private Ryan
Saw II
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Passion of the Christ

darin
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Not just R-Rated...I sat thru Zohan next to an 8 year old. HOLY GOD it ruined so many parts of the movie for me. That movie is a non-stop sex joke. I'd be embarassed even for 13 year olds to see it. It's suggestively graphic - if that makes sense. There are probably blocks of script 10 minutes long talking only about sex, pounding, bush, penises, and doing-it.

And yet....the kid, whom i dubbed Tubby McNoiseyeater sat there beside his similiarly-young buddy through the whole thing. :( Poop on the guy to their right, who was their obvious Chaparone.

dan
07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Not just R-Rated...I sat thru Zohan next to an 8 year old. HOLY GOD it ruined so many parts of the movie for me. That movie is a non-stop sex joke. I'd be embarassed even for 13 year olds to see it. It's suggestively graphic - if that makes sense. There are probably blocks of script 10 minutes long talking only about sex, pounding, bush, penises, and doing-it.

And yet....the kid, whom i dubbed Tubby McNoiseyeater sat there beside his similiarly-young buddy through the whole thing. :( Poop on the guy to their right, who was their obvious Chaparone.

laaaaaaaame! While I would have argued this when I was younger, I see no problem in setting up a system where, even with a guardian, you have to be over a certain age to get into certain movies.

hjmick
07-21-2008, 12:44 PM

No shit! Fucking eat at home, save some money. The complete lack of courtesy exhibited from some should result in the permanent ban of food from theatres. Throw in the fact that most don't have the slightest idea of when or where manners come into play and the result is an audience that sounds as though they are chewing their cud and don't think twice about dumping their trash on the floor. And kids; leave the kids at home unless the movies is rated G or PG. Use your brain, people. The ratings are there for a reason. And if you do bring the kids, keep them quiet. I paid money just like you did, this doesn't give you the right to ruin my experience. Shut the hell up or get the fuck out.

My recommendation: Go to the first matinee of the day. It's cheaper and there is rarely more than a dozen or so people in attendance.

Very few movies these days are worthy of making the trip to the local multiplex, as most are mere retreads of work previously produced, but every once in a while a film comes along that just screams to be seen on the big screen. When those rare occasions come along, it's a shame that a person's viewing pleasure can be ruined by the thoughtless and rude masses.

Fuck, now I'm pissed...

Abbey Marie
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Your posts all have truly great reasons why it can be awful to go to the movies. But for me, the one that truly makes me CRAZY, is when the person behind me regularly kicks the back of my seat. It's even bad when someone two or three seats over kicks the back of the seat in front of them, because the seats are all connected, and it reverberates to my seat. Get absorbed in the movie. Kick. Get absorbed in the movie again. Kick. And on and on it goes, unless and until I turn around and give them the stink eye.

It's a joke in our family, how I always seem to have the seat-kicker right behind me.

The restaurant version of this, is when you are seated in a booth, and a kid behind you keeps turning around and leaning over the back of the booth into your space to stare at you. Of course, the parents of the little sweetie ignore this entirely. I mean, why should they entertain their own child, so he or she isn't bored enough to practically dine with me?

KitchenKitten99
07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
It all sucks. That's why I have an HD TV and Netflix!

We don't have HD or Cable/satellite, but NetFlix has drastically cut our entertainment spending literally by 80%. We can't really afford to go out to a movie anymore because we have to usually pay a sitter, for the movie and most of the time, popcorn or some snack (though sometimes we would sneak in stuff). By the time the night was over, we would shell out more than $60 in total expenses. We can do a lot more with $60 than just a single night with one movie. So we do NetFlix, and spent $40 for cables to hook our laptop to our 50" tv (not HD, but still a decent picture), and we do the free instant viewing between discs arriving.

We've not been to a theater movie since National Treasure Book of Secrets first came out. We haven't purchased a single DVD in 4 months. The latter is due to my wanting a BluRay player and a new HDTV, so we have to wait until DH's Christmas bonus comes. We figure that buying any movie right now is kind of pointless unless we get BluRay versions of movies that we aren't in any hurry to see. We just Netflix any movie we want to see, watch it, and are satisfied with that for now, and we'll decide that way if the BluRay version is worth purchasing in the future. One BluRay version we have bought is the Pirates trilogy that as of right now, still remains in the original packaging, just waiting for the right player and TV.

darin
07-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd like to "kick the back of Abbey's Seat" for an hour or two.. :D

Abbey Marie
07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd like to "kick the back of Abbey's Seat" for an hour or two.. :D

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. :laugh2:

Gaffer
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd much rather watch a movie at home. Got netflicks so there's always something to watch even on line. Also have direct TV. I can eat or drink what I want and smoke. No noise, seat kicking, letting people by and if I have to use the bathroom I pause it. Plus most movies now are coming out with directors cut and extended versions that fill in a lot more of the story. Theaters suck.

Sitarro
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Your posts all have truly great reasons why it can be awful to go to the movies. But for me, the one that truly makes me CRAZY, is when the person behind me regularly kicks the back of my seat. It's even bad when someone two or three seats over kicks the back of the seat in front of them, because the seats are all connected, and it reverberates to my seat. Get absorbed in the movie. Kick. Get absorbed in the movie again. Kick. And on and on it goes, unless and until I turn around and give them the stink eye.

It's a joke in our family, how I always seem to have the seat-kicker right behind me.

The restaurant version of this, is when you are seated in a booth, and a kid behind you keeps turning around and leaning over the back of the booth into your space to stare at you. Of course, the parents of the little sweetie ignore this entirely. I mean, why should they entertain their own child, so he or she isn't bored enough to practically dine with me?

I find it hard to believe that you have a stink eye........ show me.:laugh2:

dan
07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I find it hard to believe that you have a stink eye........ show me.:laugh2::fart:

(sorry, Abbey)

Hobbit
07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I clicked people talking and children. Children aren't too much of a problem when I'm at a movie targeted at them (like Shrek). I go to the theater expecting the kids, and even get a little entertainment from watching them trying to figure out why the adults laugh at different times from them. What I can't stand is when they come into more adult movies. There were 7-year-olds when I went to the see the Matrix movies, and they wouldn't stop crying for about half the movie...and not once did a parent remove them from the theater. It was doubly worse for Ironman, where parents brought in 3-year-olds who liked the cartoon. I wanted to strangle them.

People talking, though, that is my biggest pet peeve. It's usually high school students who take advantage of lax ID rules/a friend who works there/sneak in to the rated R movies that are the most annoying. They don't care about the movie so much as the fact that they actually got in. The there's the bimbos who answer their cell phones in the middle of the movie. I once took some girl's phone away because she tried to carry on one of the hour long teenage conversations during The Grudge. She tried to get the theater to get her phone back for her and then kick me out. They got her phone back for her and then kicked her out for "being an ass." (seriously, their words not mine)

Abbey Marie
07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I find it hard to believe that you have a stink eye........ show me.:laugh2:

UH OH. Did I mess up again?

I thought it was just another way of saying "evil eye". :confused:

Sitarro
07-22-2008, 12:08 AM
UH OH. Did I mess up again?

I though it was just another way of saying "evil eye". :confused:

No, you didn't mess up, that's what I thought you meant but knowing how patient you are I just can't imagine an evil eye from you.:wink2:

Abbey Marie
07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
No, you didn't mess up, that's what I thought you meant but knowing how patient you are I just can't imagine an evil eye from you.:wink2:

That's so nice to say, but I'm afraid that I am half Italian. That's the very epicenter of the evil eye :coffee:

-Cp
07-22-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. :laugh2:

I'm quite sure he was being serious...

-Cp
07-22-2008, 03:35 AM
This thread almost brought a tear to my eye - it's SOOO GOOD TO KNOW that I'm not the ONLY one who HATES THE FREAKIN' "THEATER EXPERIENCE" - what a load of CRAP!!

Just talking and thinking about the freakin' theater pisses me off - it's almost up there with the other following PAINFUL experiences:

1. Root canal w/ no novicane
2. Clothes shopping w/ my wife and daughters

In fact, I'd soon rather run thru hell w/ gasoline soaked jeans on and beat the fire out with a hatchet than have to go to the theater or the above 2 mentioned items..

jackass
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
My wife is one..I should say WAS one of those people who went out and saw the movie opening day...at 7:30 or 9:00 at night! I never could undertsnad why she would want to pay sooo much money to see a movie and have it ruined by the hordes of people at the same show.
Since moving to SC, any movie we have seen has been at the $4 theater for a matinee. She has finally undertood why I refused to go to opening night movies with her. She has finally started to enjoy the movies!! Hahaha.
I still liek going to the movie...although I am very selective on what I see. They are usually the action type movies with great effects that get me there. All the others I can wait until they come out to rent.
As for children in the theater, I like Dans idea about have a certain age even when accompanied by a chaperone. I know Hobbit said something about high school kids sneaking other kids into R rated movies, but I have been going to R rated movies since 8th grade. Never have I been turned away or has anyone snuck me in. Did anyone ever get carded to go into a movie??? :laugh2:

5stringJeff
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
In fact, I'd soon rather run thru hell w/ gasoline soaked jeans on and beat the fire out with a hatchet than have to go to the theater or the above 2 mentioned items..

I thought you said hell doesn't exist... :D

I know what you mean, though. Especially with the clothes shopping thing.

Hobbit
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I know Hobbit said something about high school kids sneaking other kids into R rated movies, but I have been going to R rated movies since 8th grade. Never have I been turned away or has anyone snuck me in. Did anyone ever get carded to go into a movie??? :laugh2:

In northwest Arkansas, the population's not that high, pretty much everybody's employed, there's little crime, and the large corporations and the University of Arkansas, who employ, school, or are otherwise involved with about 90% of the population, tend to keep the place stabilized and happy. That being said, the local governments are always straining for relevance, with such actions as 'strong stances' on 'keeping smut away from our children,' which includes stiff penalties for theaters that don't card for R and above rated movies.

As far as the 'theater experience,' here are the reasons I go to a theater.

1. The system costs thousands of dollars, and while I'd pit my dad's speakers against theirs any day, I don't always have access to my dad's speakers and the screen isn't as big.
2. While DVD releases have been creeping ever closer to theatrical releases, the fact remains that if you see a movie on DVD, it means waiting a few months, and I can be impatient with some movies.
3. It's something fun to do with friends. You all go to a movie, then talk about it afterwords. That's a whole evening right there.
4. An extension of the first...IMAX. 'nuff said.

As far as obnoxious crowds, it's better at some movies than others. For Revenge of the Sith, I went to a midnight showing at a packed theater, both because I was going to be awake and bored at midnight and because I'm a big Star Wars fan, despite Lucas' best attempt to get rid of me. I knew the dialogue was going to be mostly terrible, and it was late enough that cell phones weren't really a problem, so I didn't mind the crowd. Oh, and thank GOD everybody was frickin' quiet when Vader took his first breath through the mask. Still sends chills up my spine and there wasn't so much as a cough. For The Dark Knight, I went to an 11:30 a.m. matinee. There were still about 50 people in theater, which should say how good it was, but they were just like me, movie aficionados who hated obnoxious crowds, so it was cool.

dan
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Did anyone ever get carded to go into a movie??? :laugh2:

Immediately after Columbine, everyone was blaming The Matrix and Marilyn Manson, so suddenly you always got carded to see a movie or buy a CD with explicit lyrics.

dan
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
2. While DVD releases have been creeping ever closer to theatrical releases, the fact remains that if you see a movie on DVD, it means waiting a few months, and I can be impatient with some movies.

I'm like that, too, and I always end up getting impatient and reading message board discussions about movies and spoiling them for myself before I ever get a chance to see them.

-Cp
07-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought you said hell doesn't exist... :D

I know what you mean, though. Especially with the clothes shopping thing.

Hell = Gehenna which was where they burned the trash :P