PDA

View Full Version : 39 years ago today

Little-Acorn
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
On July 20, 1969, for the first time in human history, man walked on the surface of another planet, when Neil Armstrong stepped off the Lunar Excursion Module onto the moon.

It was an event which will be remembered five thousand years from now, long after most of what happened in this era is forgotten.

Mr. P
07-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I tape recorded the audio and took black an white photos from the TV screen ...WHAT A DAY!

I have been watching space program shows the last two days. I saw the movie Apollo 13 for the second time..what an accomplishment that mission was! :salute:

diuretic
07-21-2008, 02:43 AM
I was in cadet training at the Academy. All classes were suspended and we were all permitted to go to the recreation rooms to watch it on television. It's still so very memorable.

namvet
07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I didn't get to see it. I was in Nam then. but I saw the replay later.

5stringJeff
07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I was seven years and a few weeks away from being born. But you're right, LA, it is one of the most historic moments in history!

Trigg
07-21-2008, 12:48 PM
They launched off on the day I was born and I was brought home the day they landed.

My mother always told me I had an important b-day.

Darn, now everyone knows how old I am.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
If the lunar landing is of interest, I would highly recommend you see this if you can ever visit the Kennedy Space Center. It's a phenomenal film, and because the screen is so huge, the objects hurtling at you in 3D are amazing.

In two giant IMAX® theaters, the dream of spaceflight comes alive with a wall of sound, five-story screen and realistic 3D special effects. Dramatic footage shot by NASA astronauts during actual missions will make you feel like you’re floating right alongside them.
Space Movies Now Showing:

“Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D” – Presented and narrated by Tom Hanks, Magnificent Desolation features rarely seen NASA footage with live-action renditions of the lunar landscape to propel audiences nearly a quarter-million miles above the Earth's surface.

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/visitKSC/imax.asp

Trigg
07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
When we lived in FL we took my in-laws through the Space Center. It is worth the visit.

glockmail
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
They launched off on the day I was born and I was brought home the day they landed.

My mother always told me I had an important b-day.

Darn, now everyone knows how old I am. I was just about to turn 10, and I followed every step from the Apollo missions from #1 on up. I don't remember much first-hand about Gemini, but I remember reading a lot about it, and Mercury as well. I built models of the Mercury as well as the Saturn V. My Saturn was about 4' tall, an all the stages were able to be separated, with the lander coming out of its section and all.