PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker's plane snub over Obama 'terrorist' cartoon

stephanie
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
what a petty, thinned skinned little boy

Matthew Weaver guardian.co.uk, Monday July 21, 2008
Article history

The New Yorker's Washington correspondent has been denied a press place on Barack Obama's tour of the Middle East and Europe after the magazine depicted the presidential candidate as a terrorist on its cover.

The Obama camp said there was not enough room on the aircraft but the move is being seen as a snub to the magazine.

Obama's aides were angered last week by the cartoon, which showed the presidential candidate and his wife, Michelle, in a "terrorist" fist-bumping gesture. The magazine said it was intended as a satire of right-wing rumours against Obama.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," the Obama team said. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

read the rest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/21/usa

Missileman
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
what a petty, thinned skinned little boy

Matthew Weaver guardian.co.uk, Monday July 21, 2008
Article history

The New Yorker's Washington correspondent has been denied a press place on Barack Obama's tour of the Middle East and Europe after the magazine depicted the presidential candidate as a terrorist on its cover.

The Obama camp said there was not enough room on the aircraft but the move is being seen as a snub to the magazine.

Obama's aides were angered last week by the cartoon, which showed the presidential candidate and his wife, Michelle, in a "terrorist" fist-bumping gesture. The magazine said it was intended as a satire of right-wing rumours against Obama.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," the Obama team said. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

read the rest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/21/usa

I find the shock expressed at the negative reaction to the magazine cover, especially by the Obama camp, incredible. What else would be warranted?

Yurt
07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
maybe i missed it, but was obama outraged over this cartoon?

http://conservablogs.com/publiusforum/wp-content/themes/art/michelle-obama-kkk.jpg

07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I find the shock expressed at the negative reaction to the magazine cover, especially by the Obama camp, incredible. What else would be warranted?

Getting over it and acting Presidential.

Little-Acorn
07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
in a "terrorist" fist-bumping gesture.
Since when is a fist-bump, a terrorist gesture? I do that with my son when he picks up a spare while bowling, or gets a good hit at Little League and I'm the first-base coach.

It was used in the cartoon to depict the two Obamas giving approval over what the other has done or said. That's a pretty universal meaning for it. Maybe terrorists do it too, I don't know. But it's no more a "terrorist" gesture than is nodding your head when you mean "yes". Terrorists probably do that, too.

I'd guess the reason the cartoonist showed the Obamas doing it, was to express the idea that Barack approved and agreed with Michelle's various pronouncements like "For the first time in my life I'm proud of my country", and she approved and agreed with his "bitter, clinging to god and guns" comment, and other such things they have done.

While it doesn't show the Obamas in a good light, it's hardly a "terrorist" gesture.

Gaffer
07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Since when is a fist-bump, a terrorist gesture? I do that with my son when he picks up a spare while bowling, or gets a good hit at Little League and I'm the first-base coach.

It was used in the cartoon to depict the two Obamas giving approval over what the other has done or said. That's a pretty universal meaning for it. Maybe terrorists do it too, I don't know. But it's no more a "terrorist" gesture than is nodding your head when you mean "yes". Terrorists probably do that, too.

I'd guess the reason the cartoonist showed the Obamas doing it, was to express the idea that Barack approved and agreed with Michelle's various pronouncements like "For the first time in my life I'm proud of my country", and she approved and agreed with his "bitter, clinging to god and guns" comment, and other such things they have done.

While it doesn't show the Obamas in a good light, it's hardly a "terrorist" gesture.

It's a gangster gesture. The gangbangers version of a high five. It's homogenized and popularized to become acceptable in society. Like so many other vile things made popular through TV.

Missileman
07-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Getting over it and acting Presidential.

Feel free to post a link that shows that he hasn't gotten over it and he's acting un-Presidentially in response to it?

stephanie
07-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Feel free to post a link that shows that he hasn't gotten over it and he's acting un-Presidentially in response to it?

Aaaaaa? did you read the above article?:poke:

Missileman
07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Aaaaaa? did you read the above article?:poke:

Absolutely. I think some of you are unrealistically expecting no reaction at all. I don't see anything inappropriate or un-presidential in this reaction.

stephanie
07-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Absolutely. I think some of you are unrealistically expecting no reaction at all. I don't see anything inappropriate or un-presidential in this reaction.

nevermind..:poke::laugh2: