PDA

View Full Version : Academic Snobbishness

Hobbit
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
My mom is an English teacher at a government school (one of the few who actually tries to get the kids to LEARN), so I have access to the reading curriculum, and I've noticed an alarming trend. The books that students must read for high school have not changed since I graduated from high school 8 years ago. Even more alarming, though, is that they also haven't changed since my mom graduated from high school 37 years ago. Now, classics like Huckleberry Finn (which was one of the best books I ever read right up until Tom Sawyer showed up and Mark Twain just stopped trying) and The Lord of the Flies are the only ones being considered for removal due to being 'inappropriate,' with the charge that Huck Finn is racist being the most ridiculous. On the other hand, turds like Jane Eyre, which studies would probably indicate causes sharp drops in testosterone levels, are staunchly clung to as they continue to bore over half the class to tears year after year. Then there's Shakespeare, who you must read EVERY YEAR, and the four plays that have been used in curricula for who knows how long, while arguably the best he has to offer, are also the most depressing.

Some may not see a problem with this, but I do. Our high schools are turning out ignoranuses by the truckload who would rather watch a bad movie than read a masterpiece of a book. Why should they think any differently? The books they were force-fed in high school not only weren't really selected for their liking, but were treated by the school like another mathematically ordered assignment that must be met with regular progress updates and quizzes and tests that require memorization of the book to pass (mine in particular loved making half the test be a list of quotes with blanks beside them where you wrote who the quote was from). First off, the curricula treats every student as a generic, cookie-cutter kid. EVERYONE, must read Jane Eyre, which is 75% description and girly besides, making it torture for any guy. You might as well give him a manicure assignment. At my school, we later had to read "All Quiet on the Western Front," a graphic, bloody, violent, and somewhat sexual account of life on the front during World War I. It's very unenjoyable for the girls because combat is a theme they have trouble relating to and they tend to not like bloody violence. Forcing ALL high school students to read these two books and claim they don't like reading when they're not engrossed with both of them is like sitting a bunch of high school students in a theater to watch Steel Magnolias and Saving Private Ryan until they've got every name and rank memorized and can do perfect imitations of everyone's accent, then claiming they just don't like movies because the guys fell asleep during Steel Magnolias and the girls threw up during Saving Private Ryan. Different people, different books. Not everyone is the same. If guys got to read something like "The Red Badge of Courage" for the mid-19th century and girls got to read something less war-themed, like, say "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the early 20th century, I think you'd find a lot fewer high school students swearing off books.

Then there's the Shakespeare problem. There are FOUR Shakespeare plays that are studied in high school, and every student who graduates from high school will have read at least three of them, all four more often than not. Those four plays are: Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, and Hamlet. These are arguably the best four plays the Bard ever wrote, but they are also the most depressing. Romeo and Juliet is supposed to be the quintessential love story, but ends with the two committing suicide over an epic misunderstanding, a device usually used for a dramatic twist towards the end of a romantic comedy rather than an unspeakably tragic end to a heavy drama. Julius Caesar is about a plot to kill the man who would take the power from the people by that man's best friend, only to end with that power being taken away, anyway, leading to centuries of Roman despotism. Macbeth is about a mighty Scottish lord who is coerced by his wife and some soothsayers into assassinating the king, only to end up losing everything he ever had, including his life. Hamlet is about a prince who discovers that his uncle assassinated his dad for his throne and plots revenge, a plot which results in the death of EVERY member of the cast, including his girlfriend and his mom. This is in addition to the high school students' introduction to Greek tragedy, the Oedipus Rex trilogy, which will give anyone mental problems. Try reading all of those in a row and tell me you don't want to paint your face and write poetry about killing yourself. There's a reason the 'good' Shakespeare plays have not been made into box office fare. Everybody's read them, and everybody's sick of seeing Shakespeare characters coming to horrible ends, and high school students graduate with a burning hatred of a man who actually invented ten commonly used words and phrases of the English language. (http://www.cracked.com/article_15859_10-words-phrases-you-wont-believe-shakespeare-invented.html) Why don't they ever go with 'The Taming of the Shrew?' It's a rather funny story about a rather interesting love debacle. A man wants to marry a woman, but her father won't let her court until her older sister is married. The problem is that the older sister is a shrew (a really old word for b----), so the guy pays another man to court her. After much hilarity has ensued, the two hit it off and get married, leaving the younger sister to court with her suitor. Sound familiar? It was adapted into a moderately successful high school drama called "Ten Things I Hate About You," and is the only Shakespeare movie watched for any reason other than the fact that it's by Shakespeare. Then there's Henry V, which climaxes dramatically at the Battle of Agincourt, with the line "Once more into the breach!"

Then there's the third problem, modern perspective. These works of literature are designed to give you a perspective on history. You read "The Scarlet Letter" for a peek into puritan life, as well as the prevailing thoughts on it by later authors (Nathanial Hawthorne wasn't born until the period of the puritans was long dead). You read "Jane Eyre" for a perspective on live in the 19th century (that it was terribly boring and people had nothing better to do but sit around and write books that are 75% filler). However, your historical perspective stops there. There are NO books in high school curricula that give a perspective on history past about 1950. Even 1984, a novel about what basically amounts to a different version of the Cold War, was written in 1949 and the perspective it gives is the fears of the future in a post WWII world, not a look at the actual Cold War. Why not add books like 'The Hunt for Red October,' which could let modern students, who know nothing the overhanging cloud of nuclear annihilation that existed for 40 years, get a perspective on what it was like to live on such a dangerous precipice?

So, why not adopt any of these things? The short answer is: Because f--- you! That's why. Much like those who condescendingly tell you that capitalism is a farce, that the science is settled on global warming, and that corporations ruin the world, the academic elites will tell you that you peasants don't know the meaning of real literature, that there was nothing worth reading written after 1950, and that you WILL read Shakespeare's best and you WILL like it, so you might as well get used to it because they know what's best for you. The words of modern literature: Tolkein, Clancy, Crichton, King, and others, no matter how good, well-written, or relevant their work may be, will never be heard within the halls of academia, and modern students may never know what it's like to read a book written by an author who is still alive. Instead, all high school students will know is dusty tomes written about times long gone by people who are little more than dust now. The snobs hold the keys to academic curricula, and they don't accept new members. While you're struggling to memorize enough of another centuries old book written in outdated English to pass another quiz written by somebody who thinks this book is a second Bible, works of modern literature are being shut out by the truckload.

The same applies to music. Music appreciation should be renamed 'classical music appreciation,' because is it really a music appreciation class without introducing the most dynamic century in music, the 20th century, where all the old boundaries were broken down with the introduction of big band, jazz, rock 'n' roll, and yes, even heavy metal? No, say the elites. You feel free to listen to those long-haired punks from Liverpool or that 'Freebird' song by those stupid rednecks on your own time. In their class, you'll listen to 'real' music, which can only be written by people who are already dead and requires at least a 200 piece orchestra to perform. They won't even recognize the classical stylings of John Williams because he 'degrades' the art by *gasp* making his music for a movie, and a science fiction movie at that. How pedestrian.

Seriously, when are we going to stop letting these snobs maintain their stranglehold on education? There are things that deserve to be studied and which students need to study, but are regularly snubbed by those who make the curricula. We wonder why our kids hate reading, but rarely attribute it to what they're forced to read, and we wonder why our kids know nothing about music, despite the fact that they listen to music all the time. It's just not 'educated' music and they don't know the 'proper' way to analyze it.

5stringJeff
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I understand your frustration - I still remember reading The Invisible Man in high school and not caring for it. I would argue that you could replace some, but not all, of the current reading list with more modern books. Animal Farm and 1984 would be great ones, IMO. But I wouldn't get rid of Shakespeare altogether - his plays are part of the English-speaking world's culture.

Abbey Marie
07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Hobbit, I wish my daughter's school had this particular problem. Instead, kids in our district are given relatively recent books about poverty and class struggles, that are apparently desgined ultimately to make them oh-so aware of the importance of diversity. She will be a senior next month, and I don't think she's been assigned a single Shakespeare work yet.

As for music, she is far beyond the music appreciation stage, so she gets to play jazz, and pieces by composers who are very much alive.

Hobbit
07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
See, and nobody has to hit an extreme here. Classic literature and Shakespeare are good, but some of the pieces that they pick are crap, only entertaining to specific audiences, or just plain depressing. If you notice, I don't suggest phasing out Shakespeare. Quite the contrary, I think his happier, more upbeat plays should replaces some of the ones we have in place now. Read "A Midsummer Night's Dream" or "The Taming of the Shrew" instead of another depressing die-fest. As far as literature, you can't take your eyes off the past, but you must remember that we live in the present, and the past didn't end 50 years ago. I think the biggest gap in literature is in the Cold War era. It's not a lack of books, just a lack of books you can read for credit. There's also a significant error in the teaching of book units which REQUIRES that ALL students read the exact same book, which I think is a real downfall of the system. I hated Jane Eyre with every fiber of my being and it was a horrible chore to chug through each chapter 2 or 3 times just to make sure I'd make a decent grade on the quizzes. When I switched to the math and science school, I got options for my book, and each literature teacher was assigned a different book. The group reading the book got together once a week to discuss, rather than quiz over, the book. Our grade was based on a report we did at the end of the unit and our participation in the discussion. I got into reading so much that I read Animal Farm, get this, for the hell of it. I read it because I'd heard it had historical relevance and I was curious. Wouldn't it be great if more students felt that way?

diuretic
07-23-2008, 04:14 AM
Good points. I sometimes think that Eng Lit is designed to make a natural reader and lover of books turn off and then and hate reading and certain books. I'm not well educated on the purpose of Eng Lit and I still remember hating passionately the never-ending analyses of the assigned texts so perhaps my non-understanding has caused me to look back in anger (sorry, had to get some sort of lit ref in there).

I think perhaps it's time for negotiated learning contracts for students to be able to - in conjunction with their teacher - negotiate which books they will read and how they're supposed to develop their intellectual skills by reading and analysing those books. Perhaps those students who have a natural love of liiterature can explore certain books while those who are inclined elsewhere can select their favoured texts which may not be classical literature but serve the purpose of developing their intellectual skills.

As for Shakespeare. The most efficient method of developing a hatred of Shakespeare's writing is for the class to be forced to read through the selected play as if it has no life to it. But on the other hand I am totally opposed to the attempts to "modernise" Shakespeare's prose by translating his Elizabethen English into contemporary (insert region) English. I think it would be better for students to see a professional or even amateur production of the play first and then go back and analyse the play. One year in my high school education my class studied "Twelfth Night". We worked our way through it until it felt our eyes were bleeding. Late into the school year we saw a production of it. I didn't know it was so funny! That was completely lost in the painstaking and unemotional analysis. I still think yellow pantaloons are a hoot! :laugh2:

KitchenKitten99
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
The only book I remember hating to read, because it was dull and dry, that I now look back and say I wish I had paid more attention to it was George Orwell's "1984". I seriously think that back then, my Senior English teacher was trying to get a conservative point across without being blatant about it. I just didn't pick up on it because I was still overwhelmingly Liberal-lemming (I was probably a model lemming, now I look back at what I did and said about issues), but not everything I read or saw was approached with a political analysis like I do now. I do enjoy books without anayzing them on whether or not they lean right or left, but after I am done reading it, I tend to look at them that way. Especially the Harry Potter series, book #5 specifically. That is the perfect book that shows how bad things can get in a school when government interferes.

Right now I am reading "The Chamber" by John Grisham. It is about this accused murderer on death row for a fatal bombing. He is set to be gassed in 4 weeks. His long-lost grandson, who is a lawyer now, comes out of nowhere and wants to represent him and see if there is any way they can get a stay of execution now that the clock is ticking. So far, I have been up really late both in the last two nights because I just can't put the book down. It is 676 pages (paperback).

I actually got hooked on Grisham when in my Senior English class we were assigned to do an old-fashioned book report. We could choose ANY book we wanted out of a certain section out of our school library. I had never read Grisham before, but I recognised "The Pelican Brief" from the title of the movie of the same. Never saw the movie, but the title intrigued me, so I thought what the hey, I'll see what it is about. I ended up just loving it and hungry for more Grisham novels. I devoured a few more, but then with graduation and working full time after high school, it was 2-3 years before I picked up another book of any kind. I am now just restarting reading them. I just got done with "A Painted House".

The thing is, I already had a love for reading. It was instilled in me as a kid, well before Kindergarten. I often asked for books for birthdays and Christmas along with toys. Any chance I got when I was with my grandma, I would ask her to buy me the newest Berenstain Bears book.

I remember reading Romeo & Juliet in high school. I remember also reading "The Things They Carried (http://www.amazon.com/Things-They-Carried-Tim-OBrien/dp/0767902890/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216829562&sr=1-1)" by Tim O'Brien (a Minnesota Author) which is a book about the VietNam war. The movie "Platoon" was based on that book. We even watched the movie after we read it. We discussed the characters and such. I don't really ever recall discussing the war itself though.

I guess my point is that a love of reading starts before you get into school. I agree that some schools really should reconsider what books they pick to make sure it is something that will be interesting to the age group they are teaching. I don't see a need to force the 'classics' upon students. If a kid wants to read them, they know where the library is. Forcing them to read books they would not normally otherwise read, only makes the class miserable and not one they really care about. The teacher really has to look at what the actual point of English class is beforehand.

Another way to present different genres to students, is instead of making them physically read the book, teachers read to them or they listen on tape/CD. I still do this with the Harry Potter series. I have only read the actual books once, but I have listened to all 7 books over a dozen times now.

manu1959
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
your teacher could have made you read atlas shrugged.....

Abbey Marie
07-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I forgot to mention, no Shakespeare, though our daughter has always been in honors English classes. So it's not because the class couldn't handle it.