PDA

View Full Version : Antiwar activists split over Obama's troop plans

Yurt
07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Antiwar activists split over Obama's troop plans

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama's plan to build up U.S. forces in Afghanistan while keeping perhaps 50,000 troops in Iraq has triggered a deep rift among antiwar activists, a reminder of the difficult tasking facing the presumptive Democratic nominee as he tries to broaden his appeal.

The Illinois senator wrapped up three days of tours and talks in the war-ravaged nations Tuesday, stressing in a news conference that the "situation in Afghanistan is perilous and urgent" and that "we should not wait any longer" to provide additional troops.

In Iraq , Obama won a tacit Iraqi endorsement of a plan to withdraw U.S. combat troops in 2010, but he also said that he backs leaving a residual force in Iraq to help train military personnel, provide security for U.S. interests and thwart terrorist threats. The residual force might total up to 50,000 troops, his campaign advisers have told reporters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080722/wl_mcclatchy/2998032

interesting, doesn't sound like his campaign promise does it....

glockmail
07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
No surprise that he re-defined "all out" as "leaving more than a thrid than we've had at peak". It won't be a surprise when all these "activists" vote for him anyway. He's their Messiah.

red states rule
07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
He is doing what evey liberal does to win a national election. It amy or may not work

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2694220534_c785244a78.jpg?v=0

Yurt
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
i just went to his site to copy what his plans on iraq are and they have changed. i copied some of it before on this site and know that he has now altered his promises on his website.

unbelievable...unfortunately, glock is right, he can do wrong

red states rule
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
i just went to his site to copy what his plans on iraq are and they have changed. i copied some of it before on this site and know that he has now altered his promises on his website.

unbelievable...unfortunately, glock is right, he can do wrong

Yurt, you should know this from MFM, the convictions, promises, beliefs, and principals of the messiah are subject to change without notice based on polling, focus groups, and the desire to win the election

Yurt
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM
found some changes i know there are more

the web site said Obama “will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq.”

now:

The Web site now says, “Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his secretary of defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war. The removal of our troops will be responsible and phased, directed by military commanders on the ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government.”

as far as i know, i never heard him promise that before. the 16 months was firm and was going to order it done as CINC and it is what set him apart from the other candidates

red states rule
07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
found some changes i know there are more

the web site said Obama “will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq.”

now:

The Web site now says, “Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his secretary of defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war. The removal of our troops will be responsible and phased, directed by military commanders on the ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government.”

as far as i know, i never heard him promise that before. the 16 months was firm and was going to order it done as CINC and it is what set him apart from the other candidates

Those changes and flip flops will mean little to some of the Obama followers. Somehow he is able to cast a spell on them

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2693327693_edba9facaf.jpg?v=0