PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing items?

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
When you make a purchase with a merchant does it matter how much profit the merchant makes from that purchase?

crin63
07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Not at all! A merchant should be able to get whatever the market will bear without government interference.
I always shop for the best quality and price on the items I want. I look for American made products first but if another country makes a better product then I will consider it. Competition is a good thing.

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
As well as profit!

Yurt
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
i am not sure it is that cut and dry. this question relates to the topic:

do you think anti trust laws are good or harmful?

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
they are good in preventing price fixing

Yurt
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
that is my take, though i believe some on this site don't agree. anti trust also attempts to foster more open trade or more "free" trade. if that is the case, then the merchant can charge exactly what the free (as possible) market will bear. IMO

Mr. P
07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
When you make a purchase with a merchant does it matter how much profit the merchant makes from that purchase?

Nope, all that matters to me for the same product regardless of who the retailer is is the bottom line .

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Alright, I will ask it another way.

Is is moral for a merchant to make much more profit selling an item compared to a competitor on a like item?

Yurt
07-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Is is moral for a merchant to make much more profit selling an item compared to a competitor on a like item?

absolutely. there is nothing wrong with one merchant charging or having the ability to charge more than the next guy/gal. the product can be exactly the same, identical in every way. and their "stalls" can be 2 feet apart.

crin63
07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

If they can, sure why not? I don't see anything immoral about it.

I think the question lies in how they would accomplish that proposal.

In your scenario are restrictions imposed on 1 seller but not on the other or does 1 have a lower overhead or say greater buying power?

5stringJeff
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM

I shop based on price (or price per unit, if I'm shopping for groceries) and quality of the good in question. I have little way of knowing the profit margin, so I don't consider it.

Yes, absolutely, especially considering all the "intangibles" that go into such things: customer service, warranties, labor, brands, etc.

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 06:16 PM
If they can, sure why not? I don't see anything immoral about it.

I think the question lies in how they would accomplish that proposal.

In your scenario are restrictions imposed on 1 seller but not on the other or does 1 have a lower overhead or say greater buying power?

Cost of doing business could effect merchants profit margin.

It is possible for one merchant to have a lower selling price but achive a higher profit margin on a like item.

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I shop based on price (or price per unit, if I'm shopping for groceries) and quality of the good in question. I have little way of knowing the profit margin, so I don't consider it.

Excellent, the exchange of goods, ie a product for money is done at the benifit of both parties.

Said1
07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I get irritated when I have to buy items at the local 7-11 that are over priced. I think they can do what they want, though. And I can always shred some newspaper if I'm that desperate to save a buck or two.

Yurt
07-24-2008, 12:02 AM
I get irritated when I have to buy items at the local 7-11 that are over priced. I think they can do what they want, though. And I can always shred some newspaper if I'm that desperate to save a buck or two.

or what about $4.50 for a soda/popcorn that costs the merchant only 50 cents at the movie theatre and then they won't let you bring in outside drinks? pain the ass, but hey, you don't have to go the movies. i've heard people say it is immoral, and i'm like what, how? no one is forcing you to buy that soda and for pete sakes, use yer noggin and buy cargo shorts and put the soda in the pocket or get a hot wife and use her purse :D

hjmick
07-24-2008, 12:14 AM
...or get a hot wife and use her purse :D

I've tried that a couple of times, but the guy at the door always stops me and asks to look in my purse...

Yurt
07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I've tried that a couple of times, but the guy at the door always stops me and asks to look in my purse...

i would never go that place, whats this country coming to

hjmick
07-24-2008, 12:27 AM
i would never go that place, whats this country coming to

If I hadn't already bought my ticket...

I hit him with it and sashayed off...

Yurt
07-24-2008, 12:36 AM
If I hadn't already bought my ticket...

I hit him with it and sashayed off...

:lol: i can see it, beeyotch....thwaap.....sashay right, sashay left,