PDA

View Full Version : Dems "Scrambling to Run Down the Clock" on GOP Solutions to Help Lower Gas Prices

stephanie
07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
call, write, fax........like they give a shit.

With Only Nine Days Until the August Recess, Speaker Pelosi, Dem Leaders Continue to Block Bipartisan Action to Increase American Energy, Lower Gas Prices

Washington, Jul 23 - With the five-week August recess just nine days away, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and her colleagues in the Democratic leadership are doing everything they can to keep Members from having to vote on more American energy production to help lower gas prices. Their months-long campaign of inaction in the face of soaring gas prices not only pits Democratic leaders against the American people – who support more production as part of any comprehensive energy plan – but it also pits them against an increasing number of rank-and-file Members of their own party. This morning’s Politico details the Democrats’ strategy of “running down the clock” until August recess rather than allow a simple up-or-down vote on more American energy production – a vote that would pass by a strong, bipartisan margin:

read it all here.
http://republicanleader.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=98316

April15
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
There is a man who has answers and the money to begin freeing the US from oil, all oil! Go to Boonepickens and read for your self. This is the action needed not just drill a few more holes.

stephanie
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
There is a man who has answers and the money to begin freeing the US from oil, all oil! Go to Boonepickens and read for your self. This is the action needed not just drill a few more holes.

I'll take for us to use our OWN oil that we have for now..I'm sure you can afford 4 or 5 dollar a gallon of gas, but I can't..

call, write and fax all our scumbag Reps...

Silver
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM

Yep...We're gonna build windmills.....freekin' windmills.....what a profound idea.....build windmills and we won't need oil.....
Pickens is as freekin' crazy as those that believe this shit....:coffee:

Hobbit
07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
As soon as you figure out how to pump wind and sun into my car, I'll be all for using it to replace our oil entirely. Until then, you politicians go play hide and go f--- yourselves while the rest of us drill for oil.

April15
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll take for us to use our OWN oil that we have for now..I'm sure you can afford 4 or 5 dollar a gallon of gas, but I can't..

call, write and fax all our scumbag Reps...I can not afford the price of diesel so I walk everywhere except to work.

Hobbit
07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I can not afford the price of diesel so I walk everywhere except to work.

Yet you don't want to follow a policy which has ALREADY dropped gas prices considerably just by its suggestion. You really are obtuse.

stephanie
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM

you must be looking trim..
hope you don't live somewhere where it gets down to below zero in the winters.....your nose hair freezes, ya know.

We have the oil here, lets drill for it...

We need to contact our scumbag Reps

April15
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Yet you don't want to follow a policy which has ALREADY dropped gas prices considerably just by its suggestion. You really are obtuse.I don't follow people jumping off bridges either.

07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't follow people jumping off bridges either.

no. you seem fine doing it all by yourself.

Hobbit
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't follow people jumping off bridges either.

I don't know if this is an invalid comparison or just the sloppiest straw man I've ever seen, but your statement has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. We have a policy that has been proven to work in the short term, yet, despite the fact that you have admittedly been driven into walking by high gas prices, you will not support this solution, no matter the conditions.

April15
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
no. you seem fine doing it all by yourself.I am a leader and have not jumped off any bridges.

Hobbit
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I am a leader and have not jumped off any bridges.

Yeah, you're doing a fine job of leading everybody in whichever direction Obama happens to be going. Face it, you're a lemming.

April15
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, you're doing a fine job of leading everybody in whichever direction Obama happens to be going. Face it, you're a lemming.Whatever you think.

MtnBiker
07-23-2008, 09:57 PM

You should buy an electric car!

Chessplayer
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
As soon as you figure out how to pump wind and sun into my car, I'll be all for using it to replace our oil entirely. Until then, you politicians go play hide and go f--- yourselves while the rest of us drill for oil.

Well, we can wait until oil is prohibitively expensive, or start the work on the electric cars now.

But, if we start working on the cars and someone says, "Oh, but we'll just pump it full of electricity made with fossil fuels," then we are right back where we started, consuming fossil fuels and not wanting to build electric cars.

5stringJeff
07-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, we can wait until oil is prohibitively expensive, or start the work on the electric cars now.

But, if we start working on the cars and someone says, "Oh, but we'll just pump it full of electricity made with fossil fuels," then we are right back where we started, consuming fossil fuels and not wanting to build electric cars.

I think that's a bad argument, for a few reasons. First, we do not get all our electricity from fossil fuels. Second, the proportion of electricity we produce from fossil fuels is likely to drop in the future, as we begin to use alternative sources (nuclear, wind, solar, water). Third, point pollution (i.e. that coming from a power plant) is much easier to regulate (if that's what one desires) or decrease than non-point pollution (i.e. millions of exhaust pipes). Fourth, I believe that electric cars are supposed to use less overall energy than gasoline powered cars (I can't provide a source to that, but I believe I've read it somewhere).

I support building electric cars, immediately if not sooner. I've already written GM, telling them that as soon as the Chevy Volt rolls off the assembly line, I want one.

Kathianne
07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
I think that's a bad argument, for a few reasons. First, we do not get all our electricity from fossil fuels. Second, the proportion of electricity we produce from fossil fuels is likely to drop in the future, as we begin to use alternative sources (nuclear, wind, solar, water). Third, point pollution (i.e. that coming from a power plant) is much easier to regulate (if that's what one desires) or decrease than non-point pollution (i.e. millions of exhaust pipes). Fourth, I believe that electric cars are supposed to use less overall energy than gasoline powered cars (I can't provide a source to that, but I believe I've read it somewhere).

I support building electric cars, immediately if not sooner. I've already written GM, telling them that as soon as the Chevy Volt rolls off the assembly line, I want one.

I agree with you. However, I also believe we should harness and exploit our oil also:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aqEDMhrCvp28

Arctic May Hold 90 Billion Barrels of Oil, U.S. Says (Update2)

By Joe Carroll

July 23 (Bloomberg) -- The Arctic may hold 90 billion barrels of oil, more than all the known reserves of Nigeria, Kazakhstan and Mexico combined, and enough to supply U.S. demand for 12 years, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

One-third of the undiscovered oil is in Alaskan territory, the agency found in a study released today. By contrast, a geologic formation beneath the North Pole claimed by Russian scientists last year probably holds just 1.2 percent of the Arctic's crude, the U.S. report showed.

Energy producers such as Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Chevron Corp. have accelerated exploration of the northernmost regions for untapped reserves amid record prices and receding access to deposits in more hospitable climates. Russia's move to scrap a United Nations convention and carve out an exclusive Arctic zone sparked protests from Canada, the U.S., Norway and Denmark.

``Most of the Arctic, especially offshore, is essentially unexplored with respect to petroleum,'' Donald Gautier, the project chief for the assessment, said in the report. ``The extensive Arctic continental shelves may constitute the geographically largest unexplored prospective area for petroleum remaining on Earth.'' ...