PDA

View Full Version : The costs of war

GW in Ohio
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
The Iraq War: What has it cost?

Monetary cost: $456 billion. Cost could top $1 trillion before it's over.

Human cost: 3,446 coalition deaths -- 3,188 Americans, two Australians, 134 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, six Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 32 Italians, one Kazakh, three Latvian, 19 Poles, two Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the war in Iraq as of March 9, 2007. This doesn't include 10s of thousands of Iraqi deaths and the thousands of American casualties. You want to include the thousands of Iraqis who've been displaced by the war? That'll drive up the cost even more.

Political cost: President Bush's party controlled both Houses of Congress when he gave the order to invade Iraq. But the voters have rejected Mr. Bush's war and his party and now the Democrats control Congress. With the Republican party in disarray and members of Mr. Bush's own party defecting from his Iraq debacle, the GOPers will likely lose more seat in Congress in '08 and quite possibly the White House.

Foreign policy cost: Practically the entire world was in our corner after 9/11. But as a result of Bush's Iraq war, much of the world has turned against us. The lost prestige and respect is incalculable. Moreover, because this administration's basic approach to foreign policy is, "Diplomacy? Yeah, right. The strong make the rules, so get the fuck out of our way, unless you want some of this," we've lost a lot of friends. There are nations who fear us, but not too many that like us. But relations among nations are very much like relations among people. The schoolyard bully eventually gets his ass kicked. And when he does, everybody cheers.

Thanks, George Bush. You've made us into the schoolyard bully, set our foreign policy back 50 years, trashed your own party, cost us the lives of thousands of our best people, and spent half a $trillion.

You're a fucking idiot.

Sitarro
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Where do these numbers come from? What do they include? How much over what is spent everyday my the Defense department is actually attributed to this action in Iraq? The military during peace time spends a tremendous amount everyday, jet fuel, manpower salaries, replacement equipment, accidents...how much more is actual cost because we are there?

Human cost: 3,446 coalition deaths -- 3,188 Americans, two Australians, 134 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, six Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 32 Italians, one Kazakh, three Latvian, 19 Poles, two Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the war in Iraq as of March 9, 2007. This doesn't include 10s of thousands of Iraqi deaths and the thousands of American casualties. You want to include the thousands of Iraqis who've been displaced by the war? That'll drive up the cost even more.

How many are actual combat deaths? Accidents that could have happened in Germany or on Guam cause plenty of deaths each year, check out how many deaths per year happened during the supposedly peaceful years of Clinton ( http://www.nysun.com/article/48926 ), I think you will be very surprised. How many Iraqi civilians have actually been killed by American or Coalition troops? How many in Iraq that had outrageous unemployment before we went in, are being counted as displaced by this action.

Political cost: President Bush's party controlled both Houses of Congress when he gave the order to invade Iraq. But the voters have rejected Mr. Bush's war and his party and now the Democrats control Congress. With the Republican party in disarray and members of Mr. Bush's own party defecting from his Iraq debacle, the GOPers will likely lose more seat in Congress in '08 and quite possibly the White House.

Over simplified crap.

Foreign policy cost: Practically the entire world was in our corner after 9/11. But as a result of Bush's Iraq war, much of the world has turned against us. The lost prestige and respect is incalculable. Moreover, because this administration's basic approach to foreign policy is, "Diplomacy? Yeah, right. The strong make the rules, so get the fuck out of our way, unless you want some of this," we've lost a lot of friends. There are nations who fear us, but not too many that like us. But relations among nations are very much like relations among people. The schoolyard bully eventually gets his ass kicked. And when he does, everybody cheers.

Give me a break, what friends? The only time that the United States is popular with the beggars around the world is when we pay them to like us. They all have their hand out and they see the expenditure in Iraq as taking the charity cash out of their pathetic hands, screw them. Do they love China? Russia?

Thanks, George Bush. You've made us into the schoolyard bully, set our foreign policy back 50 years, trashed your own party, cost us the lives of thousands of our best people, and spent half a $trillion.

Actually this country has an unemployment rate of 4.5%, announced today, http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/03/09/D8NOQU4G0.html

the deficit has narrowed another 3.8% in January http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/03/09/070309142115.84ch37t1.html

The world is also rid of one of the worst human rights violators of all time. It is also rid of the person responcible for 2 of the worst ecological disasters of all time. It is also rid of an egomaniac that was actively producing WMDs and surly pursuing Nukes that could be sold to the likes of Osama Bin Laden.

The Iraq conflict has produced incredible advances in health care for the horribly wounded that transfers to the overall good of society. It has also been a real world testing ground for the latest in technologically advanced weapons including complex remote piloted reconnaissance and attack aircraft. Future conflicts will have fewer pilot casualties because of these advances. The research benefits the civilian world tremendously.

Jobs for the defense Department and everyone connected to it are up and steady. As bad as war is, there are always a great many positives, it's all about what agenda you are pushing.

You're a fucking idiot.

I doubt that the President would waste the time to read your post but it is cute that you address him that way, feeling a bit self important I guess. From your last line, your agenda is obvious, my question is...... why do you dislike your country so much and what would you have done differently if you were in the President's position after September eleventh, two thousand one.

I answered all of your points without using the faggot word once, happy?

GW in Ohio
03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
sitarro: The fact that you would consider calling someone a faggot because you disagree with them doesn't speak well for you.

You're completely wrong about Saddam Hussein. He wasn't actively developing nukes or WMDs. We had rendered him impotent with the sanctions and the no-fly zones.

Furthermore, I find it absolutely astounding that you consider one one the benefits of this war that we were able to come up with improved medical treatments because of all the people we maimed, or the people on our side who were maimed, i.e.,

The Iraq conflict has produced incredible advances in health care for the horribly wounded that transfers to the overall good of society. It has also been a real world testing ground for the latest in technologically advanced weapons including complex remote piloted reconnaissance and attack aircraft. Future conflicts will have fewer pilot casualties because of these advances. The research benefits the civilian world tremendously.

And you think this war was good because it gave us the chance to test out new weapons? What the fuck kind of person are you? You think war is good? I guess I'll disagree with you on that one.

Couple other things.....

You're in complete denial over the devastation George Bush has wrought in the GOP. He took a party that controlled every aspect of the government, and now it's a party in shambles. If you're a Republican, you've gotta be thinking what an asshole this guy is.

The death figures I cited are about 95% combat deaths. The 5% of accidental deaths would not have happened if our people hadn't been deployed to that shithole.

Sitarro
03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
sitarro: The fact that you would consider calling someone a faggot because you disagree with them doesn't speak well for you.

Lighten up Francis.

You're completely wrong about Saddam Hussein. He wasn't actively developing nukes or WMDs. We had rendered him impotent with the sanctions and the no-fly zones.

I don't think so, you are wrong. The sanctions weren't doing shit, that asshole built 35 palace compounds for himself with the money he received from corrupted UN sponsored "Oil For Food" program. The MIGS that were dug up in the desert were equiped with the latest in French avionics and targeting systems(obviously purchased in the time he was supposedly being sanctioned. The bribe money ran from Russia to France to the UN. His own former Generals and Joe Wilson himself have admitted to the existance of bio and chemical wweapons and plenty of uranium, his general wrote a book describing how the Iraqis flew 2 gutted airliners full of these WMDs to Syria, over 50 flights a day for over a week just before we went in.

Furthermore, I find it absolutely astounding that you consider one one the benefits of this war that we were able to come up with improved medical treatments because of all the people we maimed, or the people on our side who were maimed, i.e.,

Why, I never said that war was a wonderful thing but the reality is there are always advancements in medicine when they occur, should we pretend that isn't true to be more pc?

Yes it has, a fact.

And you think this war was good because it gave us the chance to test out new weapons? What the fuck kind of person are you? You think war is good? I guess I'll disagree with you on that one.

Couple other things.....

Never said war is good, merely pointed out that a lot of positives can come out of a very negative situation we were forced into to get rid of a monster. The see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil bullshit is childish.

You're in complete denial over the devastation George Bush has wrought in the GOP. He took a party that controlled every aspect of the government, and now it's a party in shambles. If you're a Republican, you've gotta be thinking what an asshole this guy is.

Well, I'm not.

The death figures I cited are about 95% combat deaths. The 5% of accidental deaths would not have happened if our people hadn't been deployed to that shithole.

Bullshit, post the link.

GW in Ohio
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
sitarro: Your hero, George Bush, took all the international good will that we had following 9/11 and just frittered it away because he just had to start his little war in Iraq to show everybody what a tough Texas cowboy he was.

And in the process, he's taken the Republican party from the political heights, where they controlled Congress and the White House, to the political depths.

Your party is in shambles. Republicans are defecting on a regular basis. No one wants to be associated with Bush's disastrous Iraq war. McCain will never be president because he's tied himself to the Iraq war.

Hell, during the '06 campaigns, many Republicans wouldn't have Bush come down and campaign for them. To be seen on the same platform as George Bush was political suicide.

He's run the GOP right into the ground. What a great guy.

Gunny
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM

BS.

The "entire world" has NEVER been in our corner. We're on top, and they hate us for it out of envy. It doesn't matter whether we're projecting force, or isolating ourselves. The criticism is the same.

You're a fucking idiot.

I was thinking pretty-much the same thought, but not about Bush.

Gunny
03-10-2007, 10:23 AM

And what does calling someone you disagree with a "fucking idot" speak of you?

Right.:cheers2:

Tsk tsk ...