PDA

View Full Version : Lanny Davis on Iraq

Kathianne
07-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Is this just a shot at Obama?

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/07/21/confessions-of-an-anti-iraq-war-democrat-memories-of-a-purple-finger/

Confessions of an Anti-Iraq War Democrat: Memories of a Purple Finger

By Lanny Davis
Former White House Counsel/FOX News Political Contributor

I remember the exact moment I had my first serious doubts about whether I was 100 percent right that the U.S. preemptive invasion of Iraq and the take-out of Saddam Hussein was a serious mistake.

I had been strongly opposed to the U.S. intervention from the start. I felt this way even though I believed (as did most everyone, including the intelligence community) that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and even though I thought that Saddam was a murderous, genocidal thug and the world would be better off — and the U.S. safer — with him dead....

...And then there was that indelible image — an older woman shrouded in a carpet-like cape, smiling gleefully and holding her purple finger in the air for the TV cameras, purple with ink showing that she had voted.

Smiling! In the middle of war! At U.S. troops standing nearby!

Wow, I thought. Is it possible I was wrong?

Is it possible, I wondered, that Iraqis truly did want democracy and freedom and the right to vote and government of the people, just as we Americans do? And were willing to fight for it, with our help?

Wouldn’t that be a good thing? Even a great thing?

Maybe another democracy, however imperfect, other than Israel in the Middle East could lead to more moderation, possibly other democracies? Democracies that could serve as bulwarks against Al Qaeda-type of terrorist states?

Then in 2005-2006 came the increased violence from the Sunni insurgents against American kids, then the sectarian civil war between Sunnis and Shi’ites, with young Americans caught in the crossfire. My certainty in opposing the war and supporting a deadline for getting out re-emerged.

And then in early 2007 came the surge, which so many of us in the anti-war left of the Democratic Party predicted would be a failure, throwing good men and women and billions of dollars after futility. We were wrong....

red states rule
07-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Hillary and her supporters have not thrown in the towel as of yet. They are sitting back and hopeing the messaih screws up before the convention in Denver

For some reason, Obama can't bring himself to admit he was wrong about the surge. Like Harry "the war is lost" Reid, he said it was a failure before it started

Some Dems even call the troops infidels and say the surge was a waste of resources. They are ones, like Obama, who invested the political future of their party in the US losing in Iraq

So yes, it was a shot at the messaih, as Clinton Inc plan their moves for Denver