PDA

View Full Version : Do We Really Need to Vote?

Kathianne
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
With this, let's just have the coronation:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/obama_team_begins_work_on_pres.php

Obama Team Begins Work On Presidential Transition

24 Jul 2008 08:55 am

With less than six months to go before he would be sworn in as the nation’s 44th president, Sen. Barack Obama has directed his aides to begin planning for the transition.

"Barack is well aware of the complexity and the organizational challenge involved in the transition process and he has tasked s small group to begin thinking through the process,” a senior campaign adviser said. “Barack has made his expectations clear about what he wants from such a process, how he wants it to move forward, and the establishment and execution of his timeline is proceeding apace.”

Last month, the Post’s Chris Cillizza reported that campaign advisers were sounding out John Podesta, a former White House chief of staff to President Bill Clinton and currently the president of the Center for American Progress, for his advice.

An aide confirms that Podesta will probably be asked to head the transition team, which would take over from the campaign if Obama wins in November, and would be tasked with ensuring a smooth handover of power.

Podesta’s Center for American Progress is working with the Third Way think tank on a Homeland Security Presidential Transition Initiative; its director is Michael Signer, a former senior policy aide to Ex-Sen. John Edwards.

Cassandra Butts, a longtime Obama friend who is a CAP executive vice president, is working closely with Podesta....

red states rule
07-24-2008, 10:25 AM
My question is what are the Obama supporters voting for? I saw this and it sums up the Obama campaign perfectly

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/135967.jpg

5stringJeff
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
With this, let's just have the coronation:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/obama_team_begins_work_on_pres.php

I read an op-ed in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago that advocated doing exactly this. The op-ed made sense; instead of waiting until December to figure out who was going to serve in which position, especially with 4,000 appointments to make, start thinking about it now, so you have a few months, not a few weeks, to make the decisions. That way, on January 20, the next President, whoever it is, can submit all those names at once and get his new administration up and running by spring instead of summer.
I would encourage both McCain and Barr to take similar steps.

Kathianne
07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I read an op-ed in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago that advocated doing exactly this. The op-ed made sense; instead of waiting until December to figure out who was going to serve in which position, especially with 4,000 appointments to make, start thinking about it now, so you have a few months, not a few weeks, to make the decisions. That way, on January 20, the next President, whoever it is, can submit all those names at once and get his new administration up and running by spring instead of summer.
I would encourage both McCain and Barr to take similar steps.

Perhaps Jeff. At the same time, there is a very good argument to be made that it's best to leave the transition until after the election. To have a total flood of bureaucrats come 1/20, is not necessarily the best way to go. Another reason would be to take the time to vet the cabinet and have them decide who is best to carry on or be replaced.