PDA

View Full Version : Found a job for Mary - City Cop?

darin
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
found this job opening for our city:

1 - Police Officer
Opened: June 20, 2008
Closes: July 9, 2008
Salary: $24,814.40

That'd be crazy hot...to have my wife be a cop. :D

Kicker is - Look at that pay. WOW. 12 bux an hour? maybe??

Compare that to this job (the one I think she's more interested in)

1 - Human Resources Assistant
Opens: June 18, 2008
Closes: Open until Filled
Salary: $22,152.00

So - work 9-5ish, Doing HR...or work godknowswhen for 200 bux /month more, as a cop.

:-/ It's a wonder there are ANY cops here.

I don't have hard data on what cop starting-pay was in my previous city, but I found data showing the 25th percentile of them made about $37k.

:(

dan
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
She's probably got less of a chance of getting hurt or worse at that HR job, too, though.

I dunno, $24K seems extremely low to me for such a high-risk job.

-Cp
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Full description:

POLICE DEPARTMENT
1 - Police Officer
Opened: June 20, 2008
Closes: July 9, 2008
Salary: $24,814.40
Job Summary:
The employee patrols a designation section of the city on foot or in patrol car. Responds to calls. Conducts preliminary investigation and makes arrests. Serves warrants and subpoenas. Testifies in court. Provides traffic control and assistance. Performs other police related duties as assigned.
Other Characteristics:
1. Must be 20 years of age.
2. Must posess high school diploma or equivalent; an associate or bachelor's degree in criminal justice or related field preferred.
3. Must not have any felony convictions as an adult.
4. Must not be prohibited by state or federal law to own, possess or carry a firearm including a spitol, rifle, or shotgun.
5. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
6. Must be honorably discharged if the applicant served in the armed forces.
7. Must possess a valid driver's license.
8. Must be certified as physically fit to perform the duties of a police officer as certified by a licensed physician of the city's choise.
9. Must be of good moral character.
10. Possess APOSTC certification or possess the ability to obtain certification within required time period.
11. Emotional stability to work in stressful or dangerous situation.
12. Ability to work overtime, weekends, holidays, and non-standard hours.
13. Ability to be on-call for special operations as assigned.
14. Ability to travel to transport prisoners.
15. Must meet City's physical standards to include drug and alcohol testing.

hjmick
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
You know, there are easier ways to introduce handcuffs to the relationship...

Gaffer
07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Police work does not pay well at all. Depending on the city or state. State cops usually make pretty good money. Large cities pay well and certain high income cities pay real well.

Most people that become cops are looking to serve their community or, in most cases, enjoy the adrenalin rush the job offers.

diuretic
07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
As well, the emotional stresses of the work can be worse than the potential physical dangers. It changes a person.

Mr. P
07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Wondering why you would find a job FOR your wife instead of letting her find one herself. :slap:

Yurt
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
she can always lie, CHEAT, or steal ;)

darin
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Wondering why you would find a job FOR your wife instead of letting her find one herself. :slap:

Because she's scared. She needs help where to look and how to get back into the workforce. :)

diuretic
07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
she can always lie, CHEAT, or steal ;)

I alread said being a cop was character changing - but I'll bet she doesn't want to be a lawyer either :laugh2:

Nate
07-26-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm going to get shit for this. Please read with an open mind.

Why should a job that requires a GED pay more than $24K?

Anyway, when you throw in bennies, retirement, and status as a protected class - it's worth it.

Sorry dmp - not trying to be a jerk or hijack your thread. You're a smart guy, and I'm sure your wife is every bit as smart. She can do much better.

dan
07-26-2008, 10:50 AM

Anyway, when you throw in bennies, retirement, and status as a protected class - it's worth it.

Sorry dmp - not trying to be a jerk or hijack your thread. You're a smart guy, and I'm sure your wife is every bit as smart. She can do much better.

Because of the danger factor involved. Believe it or not, there are actually things you can learn from life, rather than from a classroom.

Nate
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Because of the danger factor involved.

I agree, excessive donut consumption is very dangerous.

Mr. P
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Let me guess, you have little respect for COPS.

darin
07-26-2008, 10:30 PM

She's not going to be a cop. Actually, if she can find $10/hr, that's fine. She's not looking for a career.

:)

dan
07-26-2008, 11:29 PM

My mistake, I thought you were looking for a real discussion. There's probably some teenage skateboarders behind the 7-11 you need to go impress.

:rolleyes:

diuretic
07-27-2008, 03:42 AM

Ah donuts, schmonuts! It's sushi nowadays! :laugh2:

Nate
07-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Let me guess, you have little respect for COPS.

I have little respect for people who can't find real jobs in the private sector.

Yurt
07-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I have little respect for people who can't find real jobs in the private sector.

so police, fire fighters, park rangers, soldiers.... don't have "real" jobs