PDA

View Full Version : Hanson: On Obama In Berlin

Kathianne
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MzlkYWVhMGY4Zjk1MWZhMDc3ZWVlYzdlYmI0MTc2YjA=

‘This Is the Moment’
And now we are loved again?

By Victor Davis Hanson

Given the size of the audience in Berlin Thursday, the enthusiastic response, and the standard lines about how we-were-, -are-, and -will-be-friends boilerplate, one wonders whether all it took to win the Euro-hearts and minds was to have a charismatic, multiracial American spice up a standard George W. Bush speech about helping the world, addressing AIDs, more troops in Afghanistan, etc.?

So supposedly sophisticated Europeans, who constantly dissect American politics and culture, seem suddenly to like us now, because a younger, more mellifluous figure repackaged the standard American trans-Atlantic rah-rah speech, dressed up with a little Obama messianic sermonizing: “People of Berlin — people of the world — this is our moment. This is our time!” along with some throwaway lines about global warming and Darfur?

That’s all it took?

A few minutes of Obama’s Elvis-like hope and change? And now the Europeans will pour troops into Afghanistan, match our AIDs-relief dollars, stand up to Iran, be balanced in the Middle East, get off our backs about Iraq, and stiffen their spines with the Russians, because the days of Bushitler are by fiat over with?

Besides the usual rock-star stuff that he excels at, Obama still does not do history well. He started, as in now usual, almost immediately by mentioning his race (“I know that I don’t look like the Americans who’ve previously spoken in this great city.”) But that simply was not true, given the fact that for the last seven years both American Secretaries of State — who have been the faces of American foreign policy in Europe — were African-American.

His reference to why Berlin did not starve in 1948 (“But in the darkest hours, the people of Berlin kept the flame of hope burning. The people of Berlin refused to give up. And on one fall day, hundreds of thousands of Berliners came here, to the Tiergarten, and heard the city’s mayor implore the world not to give up on freedom.”) seems somewhat misleading: the city was kept alive not by “the world” or even the courage of the hungry Berliners, but by skill and courage of the U.S. Air Force.

Three conclusions:

One, the public spectacle was of enormous political value to Obama, given the vast press coverage and the enthusiastic crowds.

Two, pundits will probably praise — and then forget — the speech in the same manner they did his embarrassing “I can no more disown Rev. Wright . . . ” race sermon which they once compared to the Gettsyburg Address — before quietly deleting it.

Three, I doubt aping the European line about U.S. torture, global warming, Darfur, etc. will result in any more NATO troops to Afghanistan, or anything else forthcoming from Europe. As it is, they want less, not more, military spending; their extra-constitutional anti-terror laws, spy-cameras, and preventive detentions make the Patriot Act look like Cub Scout bylaws; and their new anti-immigration protocols would earn calls of “fascism” if enacted here at home.

— Victor Davis Hanson is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution.

theHawk
07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Yes Obama is very clever with words. When he is embarrassed to be an American he starts to call himself a "world citizen". Another drive-by hit job on the US Military not giving them the due credit when it was they, not "the world", that rebuilt Germany.

It is pretty damned funny though to hear Obama saying the same things Bush says, but now all of a sudden everyone is listening. Are Europeans really that stupid?

stephanie
07-24-2008, 06:27 PM
the Obambam makes me sick..

He goes over to a foreign country while our military men and women are fighting in a foreign theater, and bashes us American citizens, our military and our country..

I hope he chokes on his own fucking lowlife ego.

:pee:

namvet
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
they love him alright. if elected he'll ignore terrorism and let the Germans/EU get back to their money making scams. like they did during Kliton.

Hobbit
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
the Obambam makes me sick..

He goes over to a foreign country while our military men and women are fighting in a foreign theater, and bashes us American citizens, our military and our country..

I hope he chokes on his own fucking lowlife ego.

:pee:

Fat chance. The thing would never fit in his mouth. He'd be more likely to be killed by having it dropped on him.

namvet
07-24-2008, 07:31 PM
The German magazine Der Spiegel is reporting online that Obama has “cancelled a planned short visit to the Rammstein and Landstuhl U.S. military bases in the southwest German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The visits were planned for Friday.”

source (source)

good move. they were gonna spit on him anyway

red states rule
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2699288855_fa1d32945e.jpg?v=0

stephanie
07-24-2008, 07:58 PM
source (source)

good move. they were gonna spit on him anyway

you damn right they were..

From what I've been hearing, he's hardly stopped by with the troops anywhere...Just for a quick couple of staged photos..

the little marxist talks out of both sides of his mouth..he is nothing but a forked tongue snake..:pee:

red states rule
07-24-2008, 08:01 PM
you damn right they were..

From what I've been hearing, he's hardly stopped by with the troops anywhere...Just for a quick couple of staged photos..

the little marxist talks out of both sides of his mouth..he is nothing but a forked tongue snake..:pee:

Obama snubed wounded troops in the hospital for a workout in a gym

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=16200

red states rule
07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
The messaih has made himself the 4th Dixie Chick.

red states rule
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
The liberal media was gushing over the huge crowd that showed up for the messiah sermon on the mount - well this might explain why there was such a huge crowd

And not all of them came to see the wonder boy

Will Media Report Concert Before Obama's Berlin Speech?
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
July 24, 2008 - 13:38 ET

Remember back in May when media gushed and fawned over a huge crowd in Portland, Oregon -- supposedly gathered to hear the words of Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama -- but chose not to report the free concert given before his speech?

Well, it has been learned that before the presumptive Democrat nominee spoke to a crowd in Berlin Thursday, two popular German acts -- reggae artist Patrice and rock band Reamonn -- entertained the gathering audience.

Will media report this tonight, or just gush and fawn over the huge crowd again?

While you ponder, here's what was reported by Spiegel Online moments ago

++ Pop Concert for Obama Fans ++

6:33 p.m.: The tens of thousands of Obama fans are being entertained as they await the senator. The reggae musician Patrice kicked things off, followed by the rock band Reamonn.

I'm sure this will be part of ALL media reports concerning this speech...not!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/07/24/will-media-report-concert-obamas-berlin-speech

and

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,567821,00.html

namvet
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM

red states rule
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2698342867_59dd16ffc7.jpg?v=0

namvet
07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
OBAMA IS MABUS, THE ANTI-CHRIST, THE BEAST 666!!!
1.- He will come as a man of Peace (Obama promises peace in Iraq, defeat for the United States,a country he claims to serve.)
2.- He will come mounted on a white Female horse(Obama mother is white who had 12 African husbands and lovers)
3.- He will come to deceive( Obama says he's a Christian but in fact he was born a Muslim, practices the Islamic religion, prays Friday’s facing Mecca)
4.- He will make himself the most powerful man on earth, if elected, Mabus will be his name.
5.- He will try to destroy the Jewish People and Israel( Obama has said he loves Arabs specially Palestinians, hates Israel and Jews. Admires Hitler, Osama etc)
6.- He will present himself as good and righteous but in fact he's Satan himself. Violence and Murder is in his heart
7.- Obama will help Iran and Al Qaida in their evil projects.
8.- Barack Hussein Obama is the “King of the South” predicted in the Bible.(Daniel .11, Kenya is south of Jerusalem)
9.- Obama comes to implant muslim Sharia Law upon America.
10.- Obama will enslave American women forever with Sharia Law.
11.-Mabus will finish his term on 2012,predicted to be the end of the world.
11.- Mabus will use Mind Control to obtain control of the ignorant masses, only those who read this note will be free from his mental hold.
12.-Mabus has come to destroy the finest country in the world, America. Mabus has come to steal your soul and your children's souls.
13.- It's written and will come to pass, Mabus will try to destroy the world with nuclear weapons but his first attack will be against Israel and the Jewish people. The beast 666 hates G-d's chosen people.

Obama is the Anti-Christ, beware of him and don't let you be deceived by Him.

Supporters of Obama: 1.5 billion Muslims, Oprah, Louis Farrakanh, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and all American Muslims.

This time is your turn to suffer America, the next 4 years will be pure hell if Mabus becomes your King.

red states rule
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I would not say he is the anti - Christ

Just an arrogant tax and spend liberal elitist

theHawk
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Well the people that blindly followed Hitler would blindly follow Barry.

"Heil, mein Messias!"

07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
how many people do you think would have been at this event if there wasnt a free concert with a number of bands was right before?

Little-Acorn
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
prays Friday’s facing Mecca
I hadn't heard this, and would be astonished if it's even close to true.

Link or reference, please?

(balance of ranting and raving deleted)