PDA

View Full Version : A lady awarded 150,000

emmett
07-27-2008, 01:56 AM
A lady from my home town here in Georgia has been awarded 150 K because her fiance decided he didn't want to marry her. Seems to me, he got out cheap!

Her attorney was our x-district attorney. She's a whacko too.

So what has happened as a result of it. Two days later, another case has been filed, in the SAME DAMN courthouse.

diuretic
07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Sounds like an action for breach of promise. I think we got rid of that a while ago where I am. It seems a bit strange that someone could actually bring that action nowadays.

But then I live in a place that had "wife auctions" until the late 19th Century!

DragonStryk72
07-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Problem is, the law's probably still on the books, but just hasn't used for quite some time. We have a similar law here in Virginia that women cannot be out in public without wearing a corset (God, I pray for the day that gets enforced!). It happens alot with some of the older laws that no longer really apply, but that just aren't being used, really.

It really sucks, though, I mean, that is alot of money for anyone to lose, and there's gonna be more foolishness with it until the law gets resolved.

actsnoblemartin
07-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I tried to get in touch with the court house, but they said i have to go through the atlanta journal constitution.

Im so mad, id like to tell the judge and jury, to sod of, and what about a bunch of wankers they are :poke:

A lady from my home town here in Georgia has been awarded 150 K because her fiance decided he didn't want to marry her. Seems to me, he got out cheap!

Her attorney was our x-district attorney. She's a whacko too.

So what has happened as a result of it. Two days later, another case has been filed, in the SAME DAMN courthouse.

actsnoblemartin
07-27-2008, 12:01 PM
excellent point, the laws can be really goofy sometimes

:slap:

Problem is, the law's probably still on the books, but just hasn't used for quite some time. We have a similar law here in Virginia that women cannot be out in public without wearing a corset (God, I pray for the day that gets enforced!). It happens alot with some of the older laws that no longer really apply, but that just aren't being used, really.

It really sucks, though, I mean, that is alot of money for anyone to lose, and there's gonna be more foolishness with it until the law gets resolved.

waterrescuedude2000
07-27-2008, 01:23 PM
tell the Beastly Bloody Tossers to sod off the sorry wankers.

Hobbit
07-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Not so fast. This breach of promise was actually warranted, if a little malicious. She quit her job, packed up, and moved to Gainesville so she could help plan the wedding, be closer to her fiance, and sort of 'settle in' to the town. Not only was that a major inconvenience, but it was also a $60K per year pay cut. Then there's the embarrassment and such. She invested herself heavily into this marriage before he backed out, and I'm not sure she didn't deserve some kind of compensation. I really don't see a good guy in this case.

5stringJeff
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Not so fast. This breach of promise was actually warranted, if a little malicious. She quit her job, packed up, and moved to Gainesville so she could help plan the wedding, be closer to her fiance, and sort of 'settle in' to the town. Not only was that a major inconvenience, but it was also a $60K per year pay cut. Then there's the embarrassment and such. She invested herself heavily into this marriage before he backed out, and I'm not sure she didn't deserve some kind of compensation. I really don't see a good guy in this case.

I've got to disagree with you. Whatever choices she was making, she was making on the foundation of a verbal promise (i.e. the engagement). Yeah, that's a lot of sacrifice for someone to make, and I feel bad for her, but she made those decisions on her own, so she has no one else to blame.

Hobbit
07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I've got to disagree with you. Whatever choices she was making, she was making on the foundation of a verbal promise (i.e. the engagement). Yeah, that's a lot of sacrifice for someone to make, and I feel bad for her, but she made those decisions on her own, so she has no one else to blame.

An engagement is as valid a contract as any other, with a fancy ring as evidence. Courts have ruled time and again that an engagement constitutes a legal contract in the case of making a woman return the ring if she broke it off. This woman made decisions based on the outcome of a contract already entered into, and was not the one to break contract. Therefore, she is entitled to damages as per a breach of contract.

Now, I'm not saying she was 100% right. The award seems a bit high. However, she wasn't wrong for suing the guy. He broke contract, and in doing so, turned her life upside down.

Yurt
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
returning a ring is one thing, this....quite another. i think it puts the courts into the bedroom, so to speak. it is a major interference with our private lives and a fundamental right - marriage. these kinds of decisions could lead to undue pressure in making that final leap before saying "i do" or actually signing the marriage certificate.

she chose to leave all of this before the actual act of marriage became legally binding. there is ALWAYS a risk the other person will back out before the proverbial "i do." it is foreseeable that after an engagement is entered into that the marriage may not take place.

this is intrusive.

emmett
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
returning a ring is one thing, this....quite another. i think it puts the courts into the bedroom, so to speak. it is a major interference with our private lives and a fundamental right - marriage. these kinds of decisions could lead to undue pressure in making that final leap before saying "i do" or actually signing the marriage certificate.

she chose to leave all of this before the actual act of marriage became legally binding. there is ALWAYS a risk the other person will back out before the proverbial "i do." it is foreseeable that after an engagement is entered into that the marriage may not take place.

this is intrusive.

Very intrusive and you are right, what about people being afraid to marry. What is thast going to do th the institution of marriage.

She made the decision. How do we know that she didn't turn into a self serving bitch after she made the move. She gave up a good paying job, so what, many do to be with one another. It is a personal responsibility issue, not one for the courts.

Unable to rep Yurt as he has made too many good points lately and the boards affirmative action rep program prohibits it.

emmett
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
And.............Remember, another casse has been filed in the same courthouse just after this decision.