PDA

View Full Version : Volunteerism Is Down

Kathianne
07-28-2008, 02:56 AM
But it looks like the 'flyover states' lead the pack:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080728/ap_on_re_us/volunteering

Miami's vice? City at bottom in volunteering

By MATT SEDENSKY and DAVID CRARY, Associated Press WritersSun Jul 27, 8:24 PM ET

Blame it on the traffic. Or the number of new immigrants. Or the allure of the beach. Whatever the reason, Miami has secured the bottom spot — No. 50 among major U.S. cities — in new rankings of the percentage of adults who volunteer...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1230/capt33fb2b9cb9274c19a53is3.jpg

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Isn't it strange how the poor and otherwise disenfranchised continue to "volunteer" despite admonitions from the more financially influenced?

Kathianne
07-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Isn't it strange how the poor and otherwise disenfranchised continue to "volunteer" despite admonitions from the more financially influenced?

Very much so, as I said to MFM today. Conservatives tend to be optimistic regarding the possibility of betterment, while the Liberals tend to think there is no hope, so no reason to lift a finger. Interestingly enough, they think the government can somehow make it all better, giving 'hope' to the ignorant.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 03:22 AM
So you've bought into the conservative lies and innuendo, kitty? So, what?

Very much so, as I said to MFM today. Conservatives tend to be optimistic regarding the possibility of betterment, while the Liberals tend to think there is no hope, so no reason to lift a finger. Interestingly enough, they think the government can somehow make it all better, giving 'hope' to the ignorant.

Were it not for liberal thinking and working there would certainly never be the country that both of us now enjoy!!!!!!! Your remark about "not lifting a finger" is the kind of poison that no moderator of any forum should find occasion or ignorance to say. Don't you think?

Kathianne
07-28-2008, 03:26 AM
So you've bought into the conservative lies and innuendo, kitty? So, what?

Were it not for liberal thinking there would certainly never be the country that both of us now enjoy!!!!!!! Your remark about "not lifting a finger" is the kind of poison that no moderator of any forum should find occasion or ignorance to say. Don't you think?

:laugh2: Only YOU would be able to turn a seldom response to yourself into a moderating issue. You do know if you have a problem you should pm and admin, not put it on the board.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 03:31 AM
You advertise yourself with the nomenclature. Should I ignore it?

:laugh2: Only YOU would be able to turn a seldom response to yourself into a moderating issue. You do know if you have a problem you should pm and admin, not put it on the board.

This is your thread, kitty, not mine. If you desire to converse my pm box is available but I prefer, as others will attest, to speaking out loud and on the board. Dig it? I doubt it.

Kathianne
07-28-2008, 03:35 AM
You advertise yourself with the nomenclature. Should I ignore it?

This is your thread, kitty, not mine. If you desire to converse my pm box is available but I prefer, as others will attest, to speaking out loud and on the board. Dig it? I doubt it.

The 'nomenclature' as you say, comes from the admins. In any case, it had nothing to do with my reply. Never fear, it will be awhile before I try to 'converse' with you again. Unless of course, you wish to keep going regarding moderating.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 03:42 AM
You never responded to my comments about the poor and disenfranchised as our most resourceful in "volunteers", kitty. Are you so enamoured with your moderator position that you think it is below you in some way?

Your refusal to converse with me is well documented and remembered. You have no shame, kitty. How can I say this politely? I think you really suck?

Trigg
07-28-2008, 09:54 AM

Why are you assuming that the midwestern and western states are filled with poor and disenfranchised people???????

Maybe people volunteer more in these areas because they have more of a sense of community than the large urban areas on the coasts.

Little-Acorn
07-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Historically, charitable giving has increased during conservative administrations, and fallen during liberal ones (including mostly-liberal administrations like today's). Liberal administrations champion the "let government do it for you" attitude, of course, so the decline of volunteerism while they are in power is hardly surprising. Conservatives, OTOH, hold that you yourselves are the only real source of value and wealth in the country, and that you must run your lives, help your neighbors, and take responsibility yourselves, instead of relying on government. Volunteerism is the essence of conservatism, and regularly increases during conservative administrations.

Administrations that increase entitlements and spending, generate the exact attitude that can lead to the deterioration of a country: "Well, the government will help the poor, it's not really my job any more. Besides, my taxes just went way up, so I feel even less like devoting my taime or money to volunteer efforts, I have to put in more overtime just to make ends meet for my own family."

The more government tries to help make people's lives better, the less people try to do it themselves. In part because they have to do more just to support that government. Inevitably, volunteerism, charitable giving, and other such worth cuases decline durin liberal administrations. This is news? It's been happening for generations.

07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I noticed Utah is the state most likely to volunteer. And I think the article hit on two good reasons for that:

The high volunteer rates in Utah and several of its cities are attributed in part to civic-mindedness among the state's many Mormons, but Bill Hulterstrom, president of the Provo-based United Way of Utah County, said other factors also were at work.

"I believe that people here really feel like they can make a difference," he said. "We do not wait for others to 'fix' our problems or neighborhoods."

1)Religion - regardless of the faith i think that can impell people to service.
2)Having an attitude where you dont wait for others to fix their problems.

And I find that fascinating:)

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Here is a great article that describes propensities to volunteer and the factors that determine the inclination. It is rather long but very well written and researched. One factor of great interest to me is the discussion about prosocial behaviors as related to a desire for volunteerism.

Quite a good read and I strongly encourage you to give it one!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0341/is_3_54/ai_53870357/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

Little-Acorn
07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
The high volunteer rates in Utah and several of its cities are attributed in part to civic-mindedness among the state's many Mormons, but Bill Hulterstrom, president of the Provo-based United Way of Utah County, said other factors also were at work.

"I believe that people here really feel like they can make a difference," he said. "We do not wait for others to 'fix' our problems or neighborhoods."

This need not be confined to religious people, or Mormons. But it could be that, with the huge effort that's been made for the last 80+ years to denigrate conservatism, people for whome such sentiments form part of their religious conviction as well as their personal philosophy, have more tools to fight the erosion. Hence, now, states such as Utah stand out from the crowd.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't believe that behavior within a cult should be qualified as pure volunteerism, LA. Here is a piece that you might read regarding the cult of Mormons:

http://religionnewsblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/dangerous-cult-behavior-todays-mormon.html

This need not be confined to religious people, or Mormons. But it could be that, with the huge effort that's been made for the last 80+ years to denigrate conservatism, people for whome such sentiments form part of their religious conviction as well as their personal philosophy, have more tools to fight the erosion. Hence, now, states such as Utah stand out from the crowd.

07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't believe that behavior within a cult should be qualified as pure volunteerism, LA. Here is a piece that you might read regarding the cult of Mormons:

http://religionnewsblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/dangerous-cult-behavior-todays-mormon.html

who would have thought volunteering was dangerous behavior to you.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I didn't say anything like that, a'21. As usual you let your imagination get away from you!!!!!!!!!!!

who would have thought volunteering was dangerous behavior to you.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: