PDA

View Full Version : Obama Quietly Visits Wounded War Vets

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
No fanfare needed. Just some quiet time with the war wounded. Obama really cares about our troops and our veterans.

Source: CBS NEWS

Barack Obama stopped by Walter Reed Army Medical Center Saturday to visit wounded war veterans, a group that he has said endures substandard care under the Bush administration.

The presumed Democratic nominee, who was in Washington to speak to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, slipped into the facility shortly after 9 a.m. without stopping to speak to the small group of reporters who follow him. The visit wasn't on his public schedule.

Obama has criticized the Bush administration for its treatment of veterans returning from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and has suggested Republican rival John McCain would continue Bush policies if elected.

The administration was roundly criticized last year after it was revealed that veterans at Walter Reed were housed in rundown accommodations and suffered neglectful care.................

More: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/28/politics/main4216681.shtml

Good article!!!!!!!!

stephanie
07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Well now who didn't see this coming..

It's not so damn quiet if CBSnews is crowing all over the place about it, is it..:poke:

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
You didn't read the article, did you, stevie?

Well now who didn't see this coming..

It's not so damn quiet if CBSnews is crowing all over the place about it, is it..:poke:

Not surprising. Who does your writing for you?

theHawk
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Of course Obama is going to start making visits to hospitals, after his gaff in Europe blowing off the wounded troops there.

Its nothing but a highly calculated stunt to rack up political points among the Obamaphiles. Judging from the author of this thread, its working.

Yurt
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
No fanfare needed. Just some quiet time with the war wounded. Obama really cares about our troops and our veterans.

Barack Obama stopped by Walter Reed Army Medical Center Saturday to visit wounded war veterans, a group that he has said endures substandard care under the Bush administration.

The presumed Democratic nominee, who was in Washington to speak to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, slipped into the facility shortly after 9 a.m. without stopping to speak to the small group of reporters who follow him. The visit wasn't on his public schedule.

Obama has criticized the Bush administration for its treatment of veterans returning from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and has suggested Republican rival John McCain would continue Bush policies if elected.

The administration was roundly criticized last year after it was revealed that veterans at Walter Reed were housed in rundown accommodations and suffered neglectful care.................

Good article!!!!!!!!

nothing political about that eh psycho

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't see anything that could hurt, do you?

nothing political about that eh psycho

Obama, like all other Democrats, loves and respects the veterans wounded or not. The repubs talk a big game but just can't move the ball an inch for them. I think it is the general attitude of the repubs that they are all volunteers so they brought their injuries upon themselves. At least that's the gist that I get from most of them.

Yurt
07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't see anything that could hurt, do you?

Obama, like all other Democrats, loves and respects the veterans wounded or not. The repubs talk a big game but just can't move the ball an inch for them. I think it is the general attitude of the repubs that they are all volunteers so they brought their injuries upon themselves. At least that's the gist that I get from most of them.

how have the dems helped as compared to the republicans?

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Let's take this one war for instance. The Dems tried and tried to block the gwb administration from cutting the VA funding after the war started but the repubs prevailed. We're still paying the price for that unpatriotic misadventure from the 'lil one.

how have the dems helped as compared to the republicans?

The Dems have as long as I have been aware, about 41 years now, taken as best of care of our veterans as they could despite constant opposition by the repubs. It is always the repubs that cause governmental entities to fail or look bad because of underfunding and then they say, "Look, look how the government screwed up". Pitiful in my honest opinion!!!!!!!!!!

It is very clear to most Veterans organizations and especially to me that repubs don't give one hoot for the people they use up and when they're done with them they simply throw them away. This is not always true but it happens far too many times than for it to be simple oversight.

Yurt
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
i don't think you can really just blame the republicans psycho, there are dems in congress and oh my, they have the majority and guess who can spend money for vets...congress

Immanuel
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Sorry friend, but that is just plain bull shit. Not that Obama like all other Democrats loves and respect veterans. I am certain that just like most Americans politically motivated or not, he cares about the veterans, but your general indication that Republicans don't care is nothing short of bull shit.

As an American, who does not agree with how this administration is waging this war, I respect every man and woman who puts his life on the line for our country whether they do so in Afghanistan, Iraq, another foreign land or right here on our soil as support for those across the seas.

Our men and women are doing the job we have hired them to do and they are risking their lives doing it. Regardless of how we see the war, most Americans whether they are Democrat or Republican, Conservative or Liberal realize that these men are sacrificing everything they have for us here at home.

For you to insinuate that your brethren who happen to view things differently than you politically don't care a rat's ass about our soldiers is... well, honestly, it just pisses me off. Think again, PB, you're not any better than the rest of us. You don't care about our soldiers anymore than I or anyone else on this board who happens to be conservative care.

Immie

Silver
07-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Good article!!!!!!!!

No shit Dick Tracy....after the screw up in Germany what did you expect him to do as soon as possible....are you really that damn gullible and stupid.....rhetorical question, of course you're that stupid, hence your post..:fu::fu::fu:

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
You are aware that gwb signed legislation cutting VA funding on the very day of his Mission Accomplished misadventure aren't you? That was created and enacted by a very Republican Congress and Senate. You can run but you can't hide from that one. The Dems are doing, as they have traditionally done, all they can for the veterans and the troops. The repubs want to give all the good stuff to the contractors (campaign donaters) and the Dems want to protect our country, our troops and our reputation as compassionate World citizens. That's the way I see it, my friend.

i don't think you can really just blame the republicans psycho, there are dems in congress and oh my, they have the majority and guess who can spend money for vets...congress

Did the thumping you got in 2006 not open your eyes just a little? 2008 looks to be even better for the real Americans, don't you think? Even down here in red hot Mississippi, Congressional District 1 went Democratic this time for the first time in many, many years!!!!!!!!! Not to change the subject but the race baiting by the repubs just ain't gonna get it down here much longer at all!!!!!!!!!!! Most Mississippians also know which party supports our troops and veterans and I am doing my level best to educate those that don't know.

Silver
07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
You are aware that gwb signed legislation cutting VA funding on the very day of his Mission Accomplished misadventure aren't you?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you aware you're an idiot ?
Pertinent facts in bold

http://murray.senate.gov/news.cfm?id=276823

VETERANS FUNDING 2008: Murray Helps Deliver Hefty Funding Increase for Veterans in Annual Spending Bill
Murray's efforts result in VA funding that is $3.6 billion over President's request, nearly meets veterans service organizations' Independent Budget

Legislation includes important language for vets in Wenatchee, Walla Walla, and Northwest Washington

(Washington, D.C.) – Today, U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, helped steer a substantial funding increase to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in the annual VA spending bill. The bill, which was unveiled today in the Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs (MilCon/VA),

sets total VA funding at more than $87 billion for 2008.

The funding included in the Veterans spending bill is more than $3.6 billion over the President's funding request and represents nearly all of the Independent Budget which is put together by Veterans Service Organizations.

The bill is also an increase of nearly $10 billion over the VA spending bill approved last year by the Republican-led Senate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That was created and enacted by a very Republican Congress and Senate. You can run but you can't hide from that one. The Dems are doing, as they have traditionally done, all they can for the veterans and the troops. The repubs want to give all the good stuff to the contractors (campaign donaters) and the Dems want to protect our country, our troops and our reputation as compassionate World citizens. That's the way I see it, my friend.

Did the thumping you got in 2006 not open your eyes just a little? 2008 looks to be even better for the real Americans, don't you think? Even down here in red hot Mississippi, Congressional District 1 went Democratic this time for the first time in many, many years!!!!!!!!! Not to change the subject but the race baiting by the repubs just ain't gonna get it down here much longer at all!!!!!!!!!!! Most Mississippians also know which party supports our troops and veterans and I am doing my level best to educate those that don't know.
i

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
What's your beef, sliver? Are you upset that the Dems have increased funding for the VA to meet the needs of our returning wounded veterans? You make my point ever so much more clear!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Yurt
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
You are aware that gwb signed legislation cutting VA funding on the very day of his Mission Accomplished misadventure aren't you? That was created and enacted by a very Republican Congress and Senate. You can run but you can't hide from that one. The Dems are doing, as they have traditionally done, all they can for the veterans and the troops. The repubs want to give all the good stuff to the contractors (campaign donaters) and the Dems want to protect our country, our troops and our reputation as compassionate World citizens. That's the way I see it, my friend.

so no dems voted to cut funding? and did cutting funding cause the problems or could it be there were other factors, say mismanagement by those in charge.

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm not going to let you jerk me around like you do mfm, yuk. The funding was cut by a Republican congress and gwb. Period. If you have concerns about the mechanics of it I suggest you start a thread about it and we'll see how it turns out for you.

so no dems voted to cut funding? and did cutting funding cause the problems or could it be there were other factors, say mismanagement by those in charge.

In the meantime: :cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

Yurt
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not going to let you jerk me around like you do mfm, yuk. The funding was cut by a Republican congress and gwb. Period. If you have concerns about the mechanics of it I suggest you start a thread about it and we'll see how it turns out for you.

In the meantime: :cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

in other words, you are afraid to answer the questions...those are legit questions that go to the core if the vet issues, you can't blithely blame the GOP when the dems also voted for the cut in funding and you can't merely blame the GOP when there was also mismanagement at the vet hall.

i am a little surprised you consider honest questions to be jerking you around....

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Anyone that can read and comprehend on a 3rd grade level recognises that as your modem operandi, yuk.

in other words, you are afraid to answer the questions...those are legit questions that go to the core if the vet issues, you can't blithely blame the GOP when the dems also voted for the cut in funding and you can't merely blame the GOP when there was also mismanagement at the vet hall.

i am a little surprised you consider honest questions to be jerking you around....

Make yourself proud, verbalize your thoughts and concerns that most interest you in a thread that can better address and discuss them. Surely you know how, don't you?

Until then: :cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

Yurt
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
yes, my MO is to ask questions in order to facilitate discussion, how naughty of me :poke:

what in particular is that that bothers you about my questions? are you saying that no dem voted to cut spending? are you saying that the management was perfect at the Vet Admin?

sorry for mistaking you actually wanted to debate this *shrug*

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Let me remind you of the title to this thread:

Obama Quietly Visits Wounded War Vets

yes, my MO is to ask questions in order to facilitate discussion, how naughty of me :poke:

what in particular is that that bothers you about my questions? are you saying that no dem voted to cut spending? are you saying that the management was perfect at the Vet Admin?

sorry for mistaking you actually wanted to debate this *shrug*

Your mistake is that you really don't want to discuss the subject at hand. I fully understand your concerns, yuk, and I strongly encourage you to share them with us within a more appropriate venue such as a thread addressing as clearly as you can the thing that is causing you the most pain at the time.

If you are having a problem with starting a thread please let me know. I know exactly how to do it and I am more than willing to help you with it. OK?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere: :cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

theHawk
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
BTW, when did he "cut" the VA's budget?

http://www.factcheck.org/funding_for_veterans_up_27_but_democrats.html

and also 2007 budget

The Department of Veterans Affairs would see one of the biggest increases in discretionary spending for any agency: a boost of $2.6 billion to $35.7 billion. Most of the spending goes to health care -- the department expects to treat 5.3 million veterans next year.

Once again the VA budget calls for increasing prescription drug co-payments for non-disabled, higher-income veterans from $8 to $15. It would require them to pay an annual enrollment fee of $250. Congress has rejected this in the past.

Overall, the VA budget would rise to $80.6 billion, including $42.1 billion for entitlements, such as disability payments and rehabilitation programs. Officials hope to avoid a repeat of last year, when the VA received $1.2 billion in emergency funding after it had underestimated the number of personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who would seek VA medical treatment.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/budget07/agencies.html

Yurt
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
um, go back and read your own thread, it is full of politics and you are the one who started blaming the repubs for the vet issues, not me. i merely replied to your thoughts, if you want a thread where you can go off tangent but no one can reply, then say so at the beginning and let us know this is psycho's personal blog where he can go off the deep end...

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
You're so cute when you're mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

um, go back and read your own thread, it is full of politics and you are the one who started blaming the repubs for the vet issues, not me. i merely replied to your thoughts, if you want a thread where you can go off tangent but no one can reply, then say so at the beginning and let us know this is psycho's personal blog where he can go off the deep end...

Enjoy your day, my friend!!!!!!!:cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

Yurt
07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
mad? :lol:

you have strange notions, that LSD is trippy dude

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
You're not mad?!?!?!?!??!???!!?!??!

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: :cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

Silver
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
What's your beef, sliver? Are you upset that the Dems have increased funding for the VA to meet the needs of our returning wounded veterans? You make my point ever so much more clear!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Just making a point to show just how stupid you are...
VA funding increased every year Bush was in office....
thats with or without Dims in congress.....

Immanuel
07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Just making a point to show just how stupid you are...
VA funding increased every year Bush was in office....
thats with or without Dims in congress.....

Ah, but isn't the problem, that age old liberal complaint, "they didn't increase it as much as we wanted so it is a cut."?

Immie

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Just for the sake of ending the stupidity:

"It is true that Bush is not seeking as big an increase for next year as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs wanted. It is also true that the administration has tried to slow the growth of spending for veterans by not giving new benefits to some middle-income vets."

"Veterans groups are unanimous in calling for more money than the administration or Congress have provided. Four groups -- AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America, and Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States -- have joined to ask for $3.7 billion more than the administration is requesting for next year."

"In January, 2003 the Veterans Administration announced that -- because the increase in funds couldn't meet the rising demand -- it would start turning away many middle-income applicants applying for new medical benefits."

"The administration also has proposed to make the VA's prescription drug benefit less generous. Currently many veterans pay $7 for each one-month supply of medication. The administration proposes to increase that to $15, and require a $250 annual fee as well. Congress rejected a similar proposal last year. The proposal wouldn't affect those -- such as veterans with a disability rated at 50% or more -- who currently aren't required to make any co-payments."

Much More: http://www.factcheck.org/funding_for_veterans_up_27_but_democrats.html

I guess it depends on your point of view. In my pov I maintain any cut in budgetary funding asked for by the VA administration and clearly needed as is constantly evidenced by substandard equipment, insufficient facilities, a lacking of specialties and a less than desirable wait time for care constitutes a snubbing of the troops by those that claim so loudly they support them but somehow feel compelled to not fully fund the requirements of credible and sustainable healthcare facilities for the veterans that gave so much and are receiving so little.

theHawk
07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Nice of you to completely avoid the truth. The the STUBBORN FACTS are that the VA budget INCREASED each year during Bush's reign, even more so than under Clintons. You sir, have been exposed as an outright LIAR. So the VA didn't get as much money as they asked for, that could probably be said about EVERY government agency when it comes to that time of the year. Sorry to disappoint but money doesn't grow on trees and we can't just give every agency all that they ask for.

Immanuel
07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Just for the sake of ending the stupidity:

"It is true that Bush is not seeking as big an increase for next year as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs wanted. It is also true that the administration has tried to slow the growth of spending for veterans by not giving new benefits to some middle-income vets."

"Veterans groups are unanimous in calling for more money than the administration or Congress have provided. Four groups -- AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America, and Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States -- have joined to ask for $3.7 billion more than the administration is requesting for next year."

"In January, 2003 the Veterans Administration announced that -- because the increase in funds couldn't meet the rising demand -- it would start turning away many middle-income applicants applying for new medical benefits."

"The administration also has proposed to make the VA's prescription drug benefit less generous. Currently many veterans pay $7 for each one-month supply of medication. The administration proposes to increase that to $15, and require a $250 annual fee as well. Congress rejected a similar proposal last year. The proposal wouldn't affect those -- such as veterans with a disability rated at 50% or more -- who currently aren't required to make any co-payments."

Much More: http://www.factcheck.org/funding_for_veterans_up_27_but_democrats.html

I guess it depends on your point of view. In my pov I maintain any cut in budgetary funding asked for by the VA administration and clearly needed as is constantly evidenced by substandard equipment, insufficient facilities, a lacking of specialties and a less than desirable wait time for care constitutes a snubbing of the troops by those that claim so loudly they support them but somehow feel compelled to not fully fund the requirements of credible and sustainable healthcare facilities for the veterans that gave so much and are receiving so little.

Nice of you to completely avoid the truth. The the STUBBORN FACTS are that the VA budget INCREASED each year during Bush's reign, even more so than under Clintons. You sir, have been exposed as an outright LIAR. So the VA didn't get as much money as they asked for, that could probably be said about EVERY government agency when it comes to that time of the year. Sorry to disappoint but money doesn't grow on trees and we can't just give every agency all that they ask for.

Geez, I would like five hundred thousand dollars to run my accounting department this year. I work for a small family owned business with approximately $3.5 million in revenues. I guess the fact that I won't get that 500k but instead only get slightly more than I got last year means that I took a cut.

Sorry, that is preposterous thinking. If they take money away from me that I had last year... that is a cut. The fact that they are only giving me what I had last year and maybe a small increase but not as much as I want is no cut at all.

I can ask for the world, but in today's world, I'm not likely to get it. Sure, the VA could use more funding and sure there are Republicans out there that are partially responsible for the piss poor condition of the Dept of Veteran Affairs, but in the same light you have Democrats who also love to kiss vet asses who have done nothing to change the condition of the Dept.

Don't blame the Republicans. Blame our political system as a whole.

Immie

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
J It is also true that the administration has tried to slow the growth of spending for veterans by not giving new benefits to some middle-income vets."

needs based benefits?......the heartless bastard!.........

Psychoblues
07-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah!!!!!!! The heartless bastard/s!!!!!!!!!!!

needs based benefits?......the heartless bastard!.........

Can you spare a dime, brother?:cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2:

actsnoblemartin
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
so were talking about three issues.

issue #1 money for veterans has gone up every year bush has gone up

issue #2 some believe it is not enough of an increase

issue #3 bush wants to decrease or cut funds?

Does this about cover it people?

I believe the problem with government is that it will never care as much about its citizens as the regular folks living in the cities and towns, who genuinly want to fix the problems

thats my two cents

feel free to critique me

Psychoblues
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's my take, marteen:

Issue #1. The number of veterans has gone up exponentially as funding for them declines as a mathmatical equation since gwb took office.

Issue #2. Some can believe anything they like but those of us who know and are certain understand the funding is insufficient to provide adequate needed assistance to the veterans much less sustain a competent facility to administer the program. Let me share something with you that I read a while back. A country that cannot take care of it's veterans has no business making more of them.

Issue #3. bush would rather not have to think about it at all so he appoints incompetent secretaries and undersecretaries to study the problem and throw away their reports. Simple? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
so i guess a question i have, you dont have to answer if you dont want to

is, what is the funding level now, what would you like it to go to

Just a question my friend.

Here's my take, marteen:

Issue #1. The number of veterans has gone up exponentially as funding for them declines as a mathmatical equation since gwb took office.

Issue #2. Some can believe anything they like but those of us who know and are certain understand the funding is insufficient to provide adequate needed assistance to the veterans much less sustain a competent facility to administer the program. Let me share something with you that I read a while back. A country that cannot take care of it's veterans has no business making more of them.

Issue #3. bush would rather not have to think about it at all so he appoints incompetent secretaries and undersecretaries to study the problem and throw away their reports. Simple? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
07-31-2008, 07:38 AM
I would want a funding level adequate to take care of our veterans, marteen. Do you remember what I told you about a country unwilling or unable to take care of it's veterans?

so i guess a question i have, you dont have to answer if you dont want to

is, what is the funding level now, what would you like it to go to

Just a question my friend.

Getting sick on Hwy. 66: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Sitarro
07-31-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm sure the Vets were gentlemen and acted with class and demeanor while this poser was pretending to give a shit while repeatedly checking his Rolex but as soon as he turned to leave they probably all gave him the single finger salute.:laugh2: Obama may think they are a bunch of uneducated rubes he can fool by showing up but they know exactly what a lowlife shyster he is, I guarantee it.

I'm sure they would have much rather get a visit from my triplets with just an attractive paint job on their bods.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Your guarantee is worth about as much as your opinion, zero. Not much at all to anyone other than yourself. But, we all have that problem, don't we?

I'm sure the Vets were gentlemen and acted with class and demeanor while this poser was pretending to give a shit while repeatedly checking his Rolex but as soon as he turned to leave they probably all gave him the single finger salute.:laugh2: Obama may think they are a bunch of uneducated rubes he can fool by showing up but they know exactly what a lowlife shyster he is, I guarantee it.

I'm sure they would have much rather get a visit from my triplets with just an attractive paint job on their bods.

Wuz that about a guarantee?: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: