PDA

View Full Version : McCain Backs Off His No-New-Tax Pledge

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Poppy Bush was so successful with this now it's McCain that bites the bullet!!!!!!!!!!

Source: Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain drew a sharp rebuke Monday from conservatives after he signaled an openness to a higher payroll tax for Social Security, contrary to previous vows not to raise taxes of any kind.

Speaking with reporters on his campaign bus on July 9, he cited a need to shore up Social Security, saying: "I cannot tell you what I would do, except to put everything on the table."
He went a step farther Sunday with his reponse on a nationally televised talk show to a question about payroll tax increases.

"There is nothing that's off the table. I have my positions, and I'll articulate them. But nothing's off the table," McCain said. "I don't want tax increases. But that doesn't mean that anything is off the table."

That comment drew a strong response Monday from the Club for Growth, a Washington anti-tax group. McCain's comments, the group said in a letter to the Arizona senator, are "shocking because you have been adamant in your opposition to raising taxes under any circumstances."
Indeed, McCain frequently has promised not to raise taxes.
At a July 7 town-hall meeting in Denver, he said voters faced a stark choice between him and Democrat Barack Obama.
"Sen. Obama will raise your taxes," McCain said. "I won't.",,,,,,,,,,,,

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_taxes

We'll see how this works out?!?!?!?!?!??!

actsnoblemartin
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
McDUMBASS

you mean i have to vote for him :poke:

:laugh2:

Poppy Bush was so successful with this now it's McCain that bites the bullet!!!!!!!!!!

Source: Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain drew a sharp rebuke Monday from conservatives after he signaled an openness to a higher payroll tax for Social Security, contrary to previous vows not to raise taxes of any kind.

Speaking with reporters on his campaign bus on July 9, he cited a need to shore up Social Security, saying: "I cannot tell you what I would do, except to put everything on the table."
He went a step farther Sunday with his reponse on a nationally televised talk show to a question about payroll tax increases.

"There is nothing that's off the table. I have my positions, and I'll articulate them. But nothing's off the table," McCain said. "I don't want tax increases. But that doesn't mean that anything is off the table."

That comment drew a strong response Monday from the Club for Growth, a Washington anti-tax group. McCain's comments, the group said in a letter to the Arizona senator, are "shocking because you have been adamant in your opposition to raising taxes under any circumstances."
Indeed, McCain frequently has promised not to raise taxes.
At a July 7 town-hall meeting in Denver, he said voters faced a stark choice between him and Democrat Barack Obama.
"Sen. Obama will raise your taxes," McCain said. "I won't.",,,,,,,,,,,,

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_taxes

We'll see how this works out?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Vote for whomever you choose, marteen. Just be aware of what you're voting for and exactly how it will affect you and the things that you care about.

McDUMBASS

you mean i have to vote for him :poke:

:laugh2:

I know it's tough nut to crack but we have to do the best we can with that single vote that we make. Can you dig it?

hjmick
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Keep in mind, Martin, California will go to Obama. Our vote will not matter.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
That's not a fair statement, hmjick. Every vote should count and in a perfect world does count. Whether it achieves your desires however is a different thing altogether!!!!!!!!!! But above all and no matter what, VOTE!!!!!!! Your failure to vote dimishes the service that our veterans have given to ascertain your right to cast it. At least that's the way I feel about it.

Keep in mind, Martin, California will go to Obama. Our vote will not matter.

actsnoblemartin
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
thank you, i appreciate that :cheers2:

Vote for whomever you choose, marteen. Just be aware of what you're voting for and exactly how it will affect you and the things that you care about.

I know it's tough nut to crack but we have to do the best we can with that single vote that we make. Can you dig it?

actsnoblemartin
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
i don't mean to change the subject, but may i ask how you feel about the electoral college?

That's not a fair statement, hmjick. Every vote should count and in a perfect world does count. Whether it achieves your desires however is a different thing altogether!!!!!!!!!! But above all and no matter what, VOTE!!!!!!! Your failure to vote dimishes the service that our veterans have given to ascertain your right to cast it. At least that's the way I feel about it.

hjmick
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM

Oh make no mistake, I will vote. I have not missed an opportunity to make my wishes known for 25 years and I am not about to start now. I'm just saying that, unless the state divides electorates based on the percentage of votes each candidate recieves, California will go to Obama.

To my knowledge, and admittedly I may be wrong, California is a winner takes all state.

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I think the electoral college is a very flawed system, marteen. But, it is better than a pure democracy in my opinion. I could write you a book on my feelings about the electoral system to which our elections are tied but suffice it to say that I can think of no better one. Believe me, I have tried!!!!!!!

i don't mean to change the subject, but may i ask how you feel about the electoral college?

Yurt
07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
mccain flip flop...shocker...

if he could just stay on message and on course he stands a better chance of getting elected....then again, we are talking about mcshamnesty

the more jeff posts about barr, the more i am leaning that way

actsnoblemartin
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah, atleast with barr, you get a guy who is guy say what he means and mean what he says

mccain flip flop...shocker...

if he could just stay on message and on course he stands a better chance of getting elected....then again, we are talking about mcshamnesty

manu1959
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
vote for me ..... i could do more for us than the three of them combined

Yurt
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/9/1/arnold_voteforme.gif

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't know, m'59?!?!?!??! What is my vote worth to you?

:laugh2::cheers2::laugh2::cheers2::laugh2:

:salute:

5stringJeff
07-29-2008, 06:44 AM

Well, Bob Barr isn't going to raise taxes to balance the budget, that's for sure. :)

Hobbit
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
My only problem with Barr, and the libertarian party in general, is their unwavering opposition to our war with Islamic fascism. Barr himself referred to our troops a 'occupiers,' and unless he recants, he'll not get my vote. Other than that, I like his policies, but that's a deal breaker.

Psychoblues
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Your statement is incorrect, hibbit. Neither Bob Barr nor the Libertarian Party ignore the implications of Islamic fascism and what Americans need to do to combat their aggressions toward us and the planet. Bob Barr, like many millions of other Americans and even billions of world citizens, considers the War On Iraq as an ill advised American transgression with no foundation in American values and principles.

My only problem with Barr, and the libertarian party in general, is their unwavering opposition to our war with Islamic fascism. Barr himself referred to our troops a 'occupiers,' and unless he recants, he'll not get my vote. Other than that, I like his policies, but that's a deal breaker.

I am no Libertarian, but like you I do admire some of the things that Bob Barr and the Libertarian Party promotes.

OCA
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, Bob Barr isn't going to raise taxes to balance the budget, that's for sure. :)

Jeff if you look at Bob's record he's hardly towed a libertarian line, in fact he's been in almost lockstep with Bush from Iraq to the Patriot Act.