PDA

View Full Version : Congress 'apologizing' for Slavery and Jim Crow

theHawk
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Is this how we bring about unity for our country? By laying on the white guilt on our young generation that had nothing to do with any of this nonsense?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives was poised Tuesday to pass a resolution apologizing to African-Americans for slavery and the era of Jim Crow.

The House is poised to pass a resolution that would apologize for slavery and Jim Crow.

The nonbinding resolution, which is expected to pass, was introduced by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white lawmaker who represents a majority black district in Memphis, Tennessee.

While many states have apologized for slavery, it will be first time a branch of the federal government will apologize for slavery if the resolution passes, an aide to Cohen said.

By passing the resolution, the House would also acknowledge the "injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow."

Jim Crow refers to a period after slavery was abolished in 1865 to the 1960s when African-Americans were denied the right to vote and other civil liberties and were legally segregated from whites.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/29/house.slavery/index.html

Just because Congress says "We're sorry", is that going to really change anything?

Little-Acorn
07-29-2008, 11:21 AM
The Civil War wasn't enough of an apology?

07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
I refuse to apology for something I never did.

Kathianne
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Is this how we bring about unity for our country? By laying on the white guilt on our young generation that had nothing to do with any of this nonsense?

Just because Congress says "We're sorry", is that going to really change anything?

Unbelievably stupid. Congress did not pass Jim Crow laws or establish slavery. The Southern legislatures could apologize for Jim Crow, but even they weren't the ones to 'establish slavery.' Just an attempt to garner votes. Again, an assumption of elites on the stupidity of their inferiors.

JimmyAteWorld
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
The only thing this is going to do is bring up a bunch of lawsuits. People who were never held as slaves taking people who never owned slaves to court.

Any mother will tell you that a wound will never heal if you keep picking at it. Let it heal already. If they don't let it heal, I don't expect any calls for apologies from the Arabs that continued slave trading after the U.S. stopped, or the Africans that sold them into slavery to begin with.

crin63
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
All this is about is causing guilty feelings in people so that they feel like they owe Barry their votes.

Personally I am so sick of this insanity. If they don't like it here send them back to the country of their origin.

theHawk
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Unbelievably stupid. Congress did not pass Jim Crow laws or establish slavery. The Southern legislatures could apologize for Jim Crow, but even they weren't the ones to 'establish slavery.' Just an attempt to garner votes. Again, an assumption of elites on the stupidity of their inferiors.

Correct, in fact it was usually the Federal courts that ruled such laws as unconstitutional.

But when have the facts ever mattered to Democrats?

hjmick
07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
But when have the facts ever mattered to Democrats?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/horshack.jpg

Oooo Oooo Oooo

07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
its amazing. We have $4 gas and they have time for this.

actsnoblemartin
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
and then they will kiss every black man's ass :laugh2:

Dilloduck
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
All this is about is causing guilty feelings in people so that they feel like they owe Barry their votes.

Personally I am so sick of this insanity. If they don't like it here send them back to the country of their origin.

Bingo----heaps some coals on that white guilt fire so everyone will see that Barry represents someone who is OWED.

Gaffer
07-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Slavery is alive and well in the middle east. What are they going to do about that?

Something tells me there's going to be a big upsurge in white supremacy groups in the near future.

hjmick
07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Slavery is alive and well in the middle east. What are they going to do about that?

Something tells me there's going to be a big upsurge in white supremacy groups in the near future.

Slavery is alive and well here in America. It goes by a different name. Illegal Immigration.

07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Slavery is alive and well here in America. It goes by a different name. Illegal Immigration.

but we are required to support that slavery. Thats what our politicians say atleast. otherwise we are racist.

Gaffer
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Yep that too. Thought about adding that as well but decided it would get us off on a tangent.

hjmick
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
but we are required to support that slavery. Thats what our politicians say at least. otherwise we are racist.

Yep that too. Thought about adding that as well but decided it would get us off on a tangent.

And will we be apologizing for it in a hundred years?

crin63
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
My take on the whole slavery issue is that the descendants of slaves are blessed to be here as opposed to some jungle in Africa. Something that was bad for their ancestors has turned into good for them. I have many black friends, some agree with me and some don't. It seems to depend upon their age.

Since the early 80's they have in many cases had more opportunities than many uneducated white folk to get higher paying secure jobs. In my opinion they need to just get over it, take personal responsibility for their lives and quit playing the race and victim cards. No one owes them an apology or anything else other than the respect due any other person.

Dilloduck
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
My take on the whole slavery issue is that the descendants of slaves are blessed to be here as opposed to some jungle in Africa. Something that was bad for their ancestors has turned into good for them. I have many black friends, some agree with me and some don't. It seems to depend upon their age.

Since the early 80's they have in many cases had more opportunities than many uneducated white folk to get higher paying secure jobs. In my opinion they need to just get over it, take personal responsibility for their lives and quit playing the race and victim cards. No one owes them an apology or anything else other than the respect due any other person.

Agreed----further evidence that freedom cannot be given to anyone---you have to take it.
Any freedom granted to you can be taken away by the very same authority.

07-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Agreed----further evidence that freedom cannot be given to anyone---you have to take it.
Any freedom granted to you can be taken away by the very same authority.

And there is only one authority for each of us that can take away or give us freedom. Ourselves.

theHawk
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Is Congress going to apologize for affirmative action? Seems more applicable to our generation.

red states rule
07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Why do I suspect this is the first step to pay reparations under a Obama administration?

You get your paycheck and you see a deduction called reparations tax. If you complain you are tagged as a racist.

What is you are like the messaih, and only half black - will you get only half of the reparations?

red states rule
07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
BTW, what harm was committed by anyone alive to anyone else alive that Dems have to apologize for?

What are the Dems accomplishing by this apology? Why do they have to apologize for at the time was a global system that ended over 100 years ago?

Are the Dems apologizing on behalf of US citizens whose ancestors did not arrive in the US until after the Civil war, and slavery was abolished?

CockySOB
07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Talk about absurd! Why the Hell is Congress passing a non-binding resolution apologizing to JUST African-Americans for a history of slavery? Why the Hell didn't they apologize to ALL ethnicities which were subjected to slavery? Or better yet, why not leave it in the past where it belongs?

But hey, I guess pandering to a voting minority bloc in order to keep them on the plantation is one way to keep your position, eh, Rep. Cohen?

Fuck the resolution and fuck anyone who supports its racist pandering.

red states rule
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Talk about absurd! Why the Hell is Congress passing a non-binding resolution apologizing to JUST African-Americans for a history of slavery? Why the Hell didn't they apologize to ALL ethnicities which were subjected to slavery? Or better yet, why not leave it in the past where it belongs?

But hey, I guess pandering to a voting minority bloc in order to keep them on the plantation is one way to keep your position, eh, Rep. Cohen?

Fuck the resolution and fuck anyone who supports its racist pandering.

This is so typical of Dems. They do something that accmplishes nothing, it makes them feel warm all over, they talk about how rotten America was (one of their favorite topics when they get together) and it sets the stage for more federal government action - reparations