PDA

View Full Version : Your DNC at Work

Hobbit
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
The probable owners of our federal government this fall have hit a slight snag in their plan for a 'green' convention. After strict demands for organic only foods and strict dress codes involving only environmentally safe products, you'd think the Democrats would check out their carbon credit spending, but that would be assuming Democrats would do anything resembling follow up when their MO for years has been to throw some money at the problem and call it solved. It seems as though the windmill being they funded to offset the 'carbon footprint' of the convention has a *slight* problem. It doesn't generate any electricity. The thing breaks so much that the little power it does produce isn't enough to actually get it on the grid. To make matters worse, the Rocky Mountain News is in full-blown denial mode. The blades on the thing don't turn very fast or very often, yet they continue to claim it provides 20% of the city's power and has brought in thousands of dollars for the city's school district.

http://facethestate.com/articles/dnc-boondoggle-carbon-credits-fund-broken-turbine

MtnBiker
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
from the article

Despite the fact the wind turbine does not produce energy, that hasn't stopped the district from cashing in on the project. In addition to the carbon credits sold to the DNC and others through NativeEnergy, Howard says the district receives downtime compensation from Americas Wind Energy, Inc., the firm that built the apparatus. "The money that we're making isn't necessarily coming from production," he said.

When asked to quantify those payments, Howard would only describe them as "substantial." While the details of school district contracts and finances are public information, Howard refused to disclose that information. "I'm not going to tell you how much money we are receiving from AWE while we're waiting for this thing to run," he said. Face The State has since requested documents from the district under the Colorado Open Records Act.

Howard is similarly tight lipped on the district's income from carbon offsets. "I'm also not going to tell you how much we got from the sale of the green tax for green energy," he said. "That's all there is to it."

http://facethestate.com/articles/dnc-boondoggle-carbon-credits-fund-broken-turbine

Wow, how about that. Perhaps all of us should put up an inoperable windmill and then be paid carbon credits for nothing. What a great green scam!

Hobbit
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
from the article

Wow, how about that. Perhaps all of us should put up an inoperable windmill and then be paid carbon credits for nothing. What a great green scam!

My car gets 45 mpg highway on a bad day and doesn't take the costly and environmentally unfriendly production requirements of a hybrid's double engines and the huge batteries. I wonder if I can squeeze some tuition money out of that.