PDA

View Full Version : Drafted by William C. Stodgel

Binky
07-29-2008, 03:48 PM
This is a terrific book. The first few chapters are of the authors childhood and up until he is drafted into the army. Parts are hilarious. When his training is completed, he is shipped to Viet Nam where the chaos begins.

Drafted is filled with war gore, action, adventure, heartbreak and laughs. It is not for the squemish.

The way the author tells the story makes you feel as though you are watching it in a flick on a big screen. It is the kind of story that keeps you turning the pages and when finished you are disappointed because you are done reading it. It will make you laugh. It will get your heart pumping. And he put in some pic's as well.

Drafted, by William C. Stodgel, may be purchased online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobels and all over the internet. The price ranges depending on where you purchase it. It's in both paperback and hard cover.

The pic on the cover and those in the book were all taken by the author. It is an awesome story. I've read it five times myself. He is a magnificient story teller and leaves you wanting more.

Get yourself a copy. You will not be disappointed. Drafted is unlike other war stories you may have read. It will lead you through the life of a young boy turned man and the most chaotic year of his life. It's a great story for all young men and women that feel they'd love to join the military. This story lays it on the line and tells it how it was for him.

Don't miss this one. Make sure you read it and then purchase a copy for someone else.

Binky
01-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Here ya go Chloe.....this is the book he wrote.......:read:

Binky........

chloe
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Here ya go Chloe.....this is the book he wrote.......:read:

Binky........

LOL I made a thread about his book last night :laugh2:

Gaffer
01-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Sounds interesting to me. I was there during that same time frame and in the same area for my first 4 months. I'll have to hint to my kids that I would like that book for my birthday.:thumb:

chloe
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Sounds interesting to me. I was there during that same time frame and in the same area for my first 4 months. I'll have to hint to my kids that I would like that book for my birthday.:thumb:

When is your birthday?

Gaffer
01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
When is your birthday?

Next month. So this book came out at the appropriate time.

Binky
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
LOL I made a thread about his book last night :laugh2:

Oops! hadn't noticed it until I'd already posted this....Thanks girl...You are on it.......Here's to you....:beer:

Gaffer
02-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I got the book and I'm reading it now. Pretty good so far. A few things I envy him for, he got to sleep on a cot for more than two hours at a time and he got to eat regular cooked meals. Of course they were army meals which means they weren't always edible. I'm about a third of the way through it now.

Binky
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I got the book and I'm reading it now. Pretty good so far. A few things I envy him for, he got to sleep on a cot for more than two hours at a time and he got to eat regular cooked meals. Of course they were army meals which means they weren't always edible. I'm about a third of the way through it now.

About the cot issue, one night he was totally exhausted. He collasped on the cot and woke up with his arm hanging over the side while the cot floated in several feet of water from the monsoon.

And then there was the time he had to stand for hours over a huge barrel of human waste, burning it and stirring it all the while (hense he came back with the phrase of "stirring a turd"), until it was gone, because the Vietnamese gov't would not allow them to bury it. He had poop dust all over his body and in his ears and nose. Disgusting..... :laugh2::laugh2:

Gaffer
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
About the cot issue, one night he was totally exhausted. He collasped on the cot and woke up with his arm hanging over the side while the cot floated in several feet of water from the monsoon.

And then there was the time he had to stand for hours over a huge barrel of human waste, burning it and stirring it all the while (hense he came back with the phrase of "stirring a turd"), until it was gone, because the Vietnamese gov't would not allow them to bury it. He had poop dust all over his body and in his ears and nose. Disgusting..... :laugh2::laugh2:

I had a number of times I woke in the water. You could never count on staying dry no matter where you were.

I did the shit burning too. It is a disgusting job. It's interesting that the Vietnamese government never allowed burying the shit when the rice paddies were full of it through out the country.

LiberalNation
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll order it soon as I get a paycheck.

Binky
06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I'll order it soon as I get a paycheck.

Thanks....that book is going to now be advertised on over 500,000 web sites within a very short period of time as soon as the editor/marketer firm finishes up the last of the revisions.

Prob'ly Amazon.com would be the best one to order it from. Don't confuse it with another of the same title by an author named Rich. That is a not this book.

Binky
06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I had a number of times I woke in the water. You could never count on staying dry no matter where you were.

I did the shit burning too. It is a disgusting job. It's interesting that the Vietnamese government never allowed burying the shit when the rice paddies were full of it through out the country.

Considering how the people just stopped, squatted and did their thing along the roadside, it is interesting as to why their gov't didn't allow military waste to be buried.... I can't even imagine dropping my draws along the edge of a road or rice paddy, for all the world to see, and letting it all flow out....:eek:

Gaffer
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Considering how the people just stopped, squatted and did their thing along the roadside, it is interesting as to why their gov't didn't allow military waste to be buried.... I can't even imagine dropping my draws along the edge of a road or rice paddy, for all the world to see, and letting it all flow out....:eek:

The shit burning was only done in the base camps. Out on patrol you just took care of business where ever you happened to be.

Binky
06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
The shit burning was only done in the base camps. Out on patrol you just took care of business where ever you happened to be.

Gross.....

SassyLady
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Let us know how you like it!

Mr. P
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Gross.....

No...Fertilizer. :poke:

Gaffer
06-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I like the book. It's informative, but for me it sparks memories. I do recommend the book if anyone's interested.

Binky shitting in the woods is not gross. Discovering you have no toilet paper is gross. We always carried a a couple of c-ration rolls in our helmet strap. Bathing in streams can also be an adventure. There are no showers in the jungle. A change of clothes was sent out once a week. They shoved a pile of clothes out of the chopper door and you sift through them to find something close to your size.

Good one Mr. P. :lol:

Binky
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I like the book. It's informative, but for me it sparks memories. I do recommend the book if anyone's interested.

Binky shitting in the woods is not gross. Discovering you have no toilet paper is gross. We always carried a a couple of c-ration rolls in our helmet strap. Bathing in streams can also be an adventure. There are no showers in the jungle. A change of clothes was sent out once a week. They shoved a pile of clothes out of the chopper door and you sift through them to find something close to your size.

Good one Mr. P. :lol:

I remember years and years ago camping way up in Canada, we had ran out of tp and had to use leaves. Needless to say we made sure they were not poison ivy leaves... :laugh2::laugh2: He also carried c-ration tp. And yes, finding out you ran out of tp is certainly gross......:laugh2::laugh2: