PDA

View Full Version : Kroger: No refusing morning-after pill

LiberalNation
03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Good for Kroger.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_re_us/morning_after_pill;_ylt=AjJuQzU3IP9V2Scofo5aJfVvzw cF

ATLANTA - Kroger Co. said Friday it was reiterating its drug policies to all of its pharmacists after a Georgia woman claimed she was denied the so-called "morning after" pill at one of the company's stores.

The Cincinnati-based grocery chain said if its pharmacists object to fulfilling a request, the store must "make accommodations to have that prescription filled for our customer."

"We believe that medication is a private patient matter," said Meghan Glynn, a Kroger spokeswoman. "Our role as a pharmacy operator is to furnish medication in accordance with the doctor's prescription or as requested by a patient."

Abortion rights activists in Georgia announced a statewide campaign Friday to raise awareness about the contraceptive.

Among them was Carrie Baker, who said a Kroger pharmacist in her hometown of Rome, Ga., refused to supply her with the contraceptive. The 42-year-old married mother of two said she asked the store's manager in December to order the contraceptive but was told that the pharmacist refused, even though the decision contradicted company policy.

"I believe this was a responsible decision and the best way to care for my family and myself," she said. "But Kroger doesn't care."

Sold as Plan B, emergency contraception is a high dose of the drug found in many regular birth-control pills. It can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Girls 17 and younger still need a prescription to buy the drug, which the FDA made available over-the-counter to adults in August.

Supporters of the drug say widespread availability will cut down on unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

Critics argue it encourages promiscuity and unprotected sex and some consider it related to abortion, although it is different from the abortion pill RU-486.

Major pharmacy chains such as CVS Corp., Rite-Aid Corp. and Walgreen Co. also have pledged to ensure that customers can buy Plan B, even if one employee declines to provide service for reasons of conscience.

shattered
03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Over the counter??!! Oh, HELL NO. If it's available OTC to anyone who wants it, it should be $2000 a pill. Cash only.

LiberalNation
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Why and it's only OTC to people over 17 which seems pretty stupid to me.

shattered
03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Why and it's only OTC to people over 17 which seems pretty stupid to me.

It shouldn't be OTC to ANYONE. Close your fucking legs.

LiberalNation
03-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes it should, it's a pill who's window for taking it is only about 48 hours. You don't always have time to get a prescription, have it filled, and take in that time. It also hasn't shown to have any more dangerous side effects than any other OTC drugs and is OTC in nearly all other countries.

Should birth control be banned too because people "can't keep their legs closed". This is more about conservatives wanting to control peoples sex lives than anything else it seems.

shattered
03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Yes it should, it's a pill who's window for taking it is only about 48 hours. You don't always have time to get a prescription, have it filled, and take in that time. It also hasn't shown to have any more dangerous side effects than any other OTC drugs and is OTC in nearly all other countries.

Should birth control be banned too because people "can't keep their legs closed". This is more about conservatives wanting to control peoples sex lives than anything else it seems.

IF you don't want children, what POSSIBLE excuse could there be for not using birth control of some sort?

This is more about liberals wanting to have their fucking cake, and eat it, too, and then bail their ass out when they get in trouble.

LiberalNation
03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
What's wrong with using this if you didn't. Nothing, it's no wors than other forms of birthcontrol. Except I'm betting that much estrogen at one time will make puke.

shattered
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
What's wrong with using this if you didn't. Nothing, it's no wors than other forms of birthcontrol. Except I'm betting that much estrogen at one time will make puke.

Let me put this in simpler terms even you can understand.

What possible excuse can there be for not taking responsibility for yourself, BEFORE just giving in to whatever feels good?

LiberalNation
03-09-2007, 10:34 PM
You forgot, got caught up in the moment. You really think a unwanted child born or an abortion later is better than this pill if someone makes a mistake because that’s the alternative.

shattered
03-09-2007, 10:36 PM
You forgot, got caught up in the moment. You really think a unwanted child born or an abortion later is better than this pill if someone makes a mistake because that’s the alternative.

Maybe that's why you're a lesbian. It's easier than taking responsibility for your actions.

LiberalNation
03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Really it couldn't be that other chicks turn me on. Nah It's me just not wanting to accept the responsibility of getting pregnant. lol

krisy
03-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Do you honestly believe that conservatives care what goes on in someone elses's bedroom?!!! Give me a break. That's far fetched.

If you have time to goto the store and buy this pill,you have time to go to the store and buy a pack of condoms. Why wouldn't you just do that rather than putting yourself through the wretched decision to take this pill or have an abortion?

I don't want to that hear heat of the moment somehow justifies abortion in the end.

LiberalNation
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
If you have time to goto the store and buy this pill,you have time to go to the store and buy a pack of condoms. Why wouldn't you just do that rather than putting yourself through the wretched decision to take this pill or have an abortion?

But a person did not wouldn't most people think taking this pill is better than a later abortion.

This is something that will help cut down on abortions. isn't that what conservatives want. Less babies still in the womb killed.

gabosaurus
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
It shouldn't be OTC to ANYONE. Close your fucking legs.

You are one of the funniest and least enlightened persons on this board. Please continue to post. You are very entertaining.

Trigg
03-10-2007, 04:21 PM

I don't want to that hear heat of the moment somehow justifies abortion in the end.

1. How can it be an abortion since it's taken in the first 48 hours and a woman has no idea if she's pregnant that fast. It makes you start your period right away.

2. Condoms break

3. Pills aren't 100% affective. My 3rd child is living proof of that.

Now having said that, I'm not a fan of it being offered over the counter, there should be more regulation of this drug.

krisy
03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
1. How can it be an abortion since it's taken in the first 48 hours and a woman has no idea if she's pregnant that fast. It makes you start your period right away.

2. Condoms break

3. Pills aren't 100% affective. My 3rd child is living proof of that.

Now having said that, I'm not a fan of it being offered over the counter, there should be more regulation of this drug.

Do you honestly think that most of the women getting this pill used a condom or were on birth control? I have heard of women getting pregnant on the birth control pill,but if your on the pill,which is 99% effective,are you saying that every time you have sex your going to go get this morning after pill because your worried that the birth control pill didn't work? My point is,if your using protection,then why would you get this morning after thing in the first place?

Just be responsible is all I'm saying.

Trigg
03-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Do you honestly think that most of the women getting this pill used a condom or were on birth control? I have heard of women getting pregnant on the birth control pill,but if your on the pill,which is 99% effective,are you saying that every time you have sex your going to go get this morning after pill because your worried that the birth control pill didn't work? My point is,if your using protection,then why would you get this morning after thing in the first place?

Just be responsible is all I'm saying.

I agree women need to be more responsible. I do think that most women who are going to get this arn't using the pill. Condoms do break though, or they slip off. I would much rather see a woman get a pill to start her period right away than possibly end up getting an abortion later on when she realizes she's pregnant.

shattered
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM

2. Condoms break

3. <B>Pills aren't 100% affective. My 3rd child is living proof of that.</b>

My sister in law was on the pill when she got pregnant.. She just considered that a sign that it's time to grow up.

I agree it should be far more regulated, though. Definitely not a "quicky store run"...and like I said..there should be a mighty hefty price for it, if it's going to be used as a scapegoat.