PDA

View Full Version : Obama wants to pay reparations

red states rule
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Is this is the "change" the messiah wants to bring to the world?

Sen. Barack Obama told a meeting in Chicago the U.S. should review how it can make amends for "offenses" committed during its history.

And one author is speculating that might even include reparations for al-Qaida soldiers, since, after all, they've been held in violation of their "rights."

Obama's comments came in a meeting with members of UNITY '08, an event for journalists who claim membership in various minorities.

Obama, according to the report in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, stopped just short of endorsing an official U.S. apology to various groups. He said instead the nation should acknowledge treating certain groups poorly.

"There's no doubt that when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans as well as other persons of color in this country, we've got some very sad and difficult things to account for," Obama told the convention.

He has told Hawaii reporters he supports a federal plan to recognize native Hawaiians. He was asked for his thoughts about a formal U.S. apology to American Indians.

"I personally would want to see our tragic history, or the tragic elements of our history, acknowledged," he told conventioneers.

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds," he said.

The issue of reparations to African-Americans for the historic slave trade or Native Americans for the "invasion" by Europeans periodically has been raised. Several years ago a lawsuit was filed claiming damages for labor at a current value of $1.4 trillion.

At Renew America, Michael Gaynor also publicly wondered about Obama's statements to a recent "Meet the Press."

Obama said, "The biggest problem that we have in terms of race relations, I think, is dealing with the legacy of past discrimination which has resulted in extreme disparities in terms of poverty, in terms of wealth and in terms of income. Our inner cities are a legacy of what happened in the past. And the question is less assigning blame or rooting out active racism, because that's not the reason that those inner cities are in such bad shape, but rather figuring out are we willing to make the investments to deal with that past history so we can move forward to a brighter future? And that involves investing in early childhood education, fixing the schools in those communities, being willing to work in terms of job retraining. And those are serious investments."

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=71043

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Reparations?

Hahaha, I think the Economic Stimulus Plan of 2008 shows just how reparations will suceed. My E.S.P. check is already spent. It was a nice little gift but in retrospect, I don't think it helped me financially at all. I'm going on a cruise in November... thank you Mr. Bush.

I wonder who would benefit from a reparations check to everyone of color in America? I imagine a lot of that money would end up in the hands of drug dealers. I would guess illegal gun dealers would benefit as well. That is not to say that all people of color would buy drugs or illegal guns with those checks, but I honestly don't believe that the poor who live in the American ghettos would be any better off financially three months after receiving those checks than they are today.

If we want to help the poor sending them an E.S.P. check aka reparations check isn't going to do the trick. If we truly wanted to help them then we'd do something to make their neighborhoods safer and cleaner, provide well paying jobs and better educations to start.

But, I don't think the political goal here is to help the poor, rather the goal is future votes for the Dems. Go Get 'em Obama!

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Reparations?

Hahaha, I think the Economic Stimulus Plan of 2008 shows just how reparations will suceed. My E.S.P. check is already spent. It was a nice little gift but in retrospect, I don't think it helped me financially at all. I'm going on a cruise in November... thank you Mr. Bush.

I wonder who would benefit from a reparations check to everyone of color in America? I imagine a lot of that money would end up in the hands of drug dealers. I would guess illegal gun dealers would benefit as well. That is not to say that all people of color would buy drugs or illegal guns with those checks, but I honestly don't believe that the poor who live in the American ghettos would be any better off financially three months after receiving those checks than they are today.

If we want to help the poor sending them an E.S.P. check aka reparations check isn't going to do the trick. If we truly wanted to help them then we'd do something to make their neighborhoods safer and cleaner, provide well paying jobs and better educations to start.

But, I don't think the political goal here is to help the poor, rather the goal is future votes for the Dems. Go Get 'em Obama!

Immie

Ah, if you have not heard, the US economy grew last quarter - no recession. The rebate checks played a part. Besides, it is our money not the governments

As fas as reparations, this is the latest from the messiah promising more handouts to his base in exchange for votes

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Ah, if you have not heard, the US economy grew last quarter - no recession. The rebate checks played a part. Besides, it is our money not the governments

As fas as reparations, this is the latest from the messiah promising more handouts to his base in exchange for votes

The economy grew... so what? How about the financial well being of the people who received those checks? How about the poor? Did E.S.P. do them any good? Are they better off today than they were before receiving those checks? I doubt it.

As for your last statement, are you even reading what people post before you comment?

I said:

Yes, the economy grew, but only because people had a little bit of extra cash to spend and spend they did. Are they better off today than they were in April before the checks came out?

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
The economy grew... so what? How about the financial well being of the people who received those checks? How about the poor? Did E.S.P. do them any good? Are they better off today than they were before receiving those checks? I doubt it.

As for your last statement, are you even reading what people post before you comment?

I said:

Yes, the economy grew, but only because people had a little bit of extra cash to spend and spend they did. Are they better off today than they were in April before the checks came out?

Immie

Of course when the folks pay less in taxes and have more of their own money - the economy will grow

The messiah, known as obama, will do the eact opposite and take more money from people and piss through it will more meaningles government programs

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Of course when the folks pay less in taxes and have more of their own money - the economy will grow

The messiah, known as obama, will do the eact opposite and take more money from people and piss through it will more meaningles government programs

My point was that the E.S.P. is an example of what will happen should Obama push through a reparations bill. People got that money, spent it and are really no better off today than they were in April.

Sure, a few have plasma tv's or something they had wanted but didn't have the cash to buy, but what did we really gain from the E.S.P.?

Reparations won't be any different. Sending the poor a reparations check won't solve the problem. Rather, if we really cared about them, we would fix up their neighborhoods etc.

Obama's gunning for votes here. He is not working to help the poor.

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
My point was that the E.S.P. is an example of what will happen should Obama push through a reparations bill. People got that money, spent it and are really no better off today than they were in April.

Sure, a few have plasma tv's or something they had wanted but didn't have the cash to buy, but what did we really gain from the E.S.P.?

Reparations won't be any different. Sending the poor a reparations check won't solve the problem. Rather, if we really cared about them, we would fix up their neighborhoods etc.

Obama's gunning for votes here. He is not working to help the poor.

Immie

There is a difference

The rebate checks was a TAX rebate on taxes that people paid

Reparations is a handout that nobody has done anything to earn

Little-Acorn
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Ah, if you have not heard, the US economy grew last quarter - no recession.
Musta disappointed the hell out of the leftist kooks who were screaming "recession" so loudly and continuously. :lol:

Besides, it is our money not the governments
Actually it wasn't ours either. It was our children's money.

The government didn't even have enough money to pay the bills they were running up, BEFORE they decided to send out "rebate" checks. They were borrowing money, just to make ends meet. They certainly didn't have any extra, to send us as "rebate" checks. They got it by borrowing even more, and promising to pay it back sometime in the future. That's what the government has been doing since approximately time began. The Democrats raised the technique to a fine art in the 1930s, then turned it into a flood for the rest of the 20th century. And the Republican administration of the early 2000s, turned it into a deluge.

And who is going to pay it back in the future? Some of us will be gone by then. And some who are currently playing with tricycles and doll houses, or who are just a gleam in their daddy's eye, will be working and paying taxes by then. THEY are the ones who will pay back, the money we took yesterday to spend on vacations or cars or whatever.

But I don't recall asking little Johnny or baby Sally if that was OK with them. And I don't think they got to vote, to put the government officials into office who came up with this idea, or vote them out.

Wasn't there once a time in our history, where we objected to "taxation without representation"? It was a pretty strong and violent objection, as I recall.

Well, little Johnny and baby Sally just got taxed: a levy they WILL have to pay. And they got zero representation while it was happening.

"Deficit spending" = borrowing = Stealing from our children.

red states rule
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Musta disappointed the hell out of the leftist kooks who were screaming "recession" so loudly and continuously. :lol:

Actually it wasn't ours either. It was our children's money.

The govt was already borrowing to make ends meet. They didn't have that money to spare. They got it by borrowing even more, and promising to pay it back sometime in the future.. That's what the government has been doing since approximately time began. The Democrats raised the technique to a fine art in the 1930s, then turned it into a flood for the rest of the 20th century. And the Republican administration of the early 2000s, turned it into a deluge.

And who is going to pay it back in the future? Some of us will be gone by then. And some who are currently playing with tricycles and doll houses, will be working and paying taxes by then. THEY are the ones who will pay back, the money we took yesterday to spend on vacations or cars or whatever.

But I don't recall asking little Johnny or baby Sally if that was OK with them. And I don't think they got to vote, to put the government officials into office who came up with this idea, or vote them out.

Wasn't there once a point in our history, where we objected to "taxation without representation"? It was a pretty strong and violent objection, as I recall.

Well, little Johnny and baby Sally just got taxed: a levy they WILL have to pay. And they got zero representation while it was happening.

"Deficit spending" = borrowing = Stealing from our children.

LA, you and I could go over the budget and cut so much crap there would be a surplus so more tax cuts could be given. I suspect it would take no more the 48 hours

The problem is, in this election, both candidates are going to expand the size of government and increase spending

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
LA, you and I could go over the budget and cut so much crap there would be a surplus so more tax cuts could be given. I suspect it would take no more the 48 hours

The problem is, in this election, both candidates are going to expand the size of government and increase spending

You two don't have enough PARTY SUPPORT to get elected. If you even tried to run on a "cut pork" platform you would be expelled from the Republican Party.

End that dream now. :)

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
You two don't have enough PARTY SUPPORT to get elected. If you even tried to run on a "cut pork" platform you would be expelled from the Republican Party.

End that dream now. :)

Immie

I would not be expelled from the conservative wing of the party. I suspect most taxpayers would agree with me running on a no pork platform

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I would not be expelled from the conservative wing of the party. I suspect most taxpayers would agree with me running on a no pork platform

Haven't you heard? Taxpayers don't get you elected. Money and power gets you elected. More specifically, Party money and power get you elected. Neither of which I would assume you have.

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Haven't you heard? Taxpayers don't get you elected. Money and power gets you elected. More specifically, Party money and power get you elected. Neither of which I would assume you have.

Immie

Well, the messiah known as Obama, has outspent McCain - yet McCain is closing the gap in several key states

Given how the liberal media is waving the pom poms for him, the price of gas - Obama should be up by double digits. Yet he is pretty mush within the margin of error in most polls

We have about 100 days to go, and Obama keeps sticking his foot in his mouth - so there is time for him to blow it

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, the messiah known as Obama, has outspent McCain - yet McCain is closing the gap in several key states

Given how the liberal media is waving the pom poms for him, the price of gas - Obama should be up by double digits. Yet he is pretty mush within the margin of error in most polls

We have about 100 days to go, and Obama keeps sticking his foot in his mouth - so there is time for him to blow it

And how would that help you and LA get elected?

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 01:33 PM
And how would that help you and LA get elected?

Immie

I am a firm believer conservatism wins eveytime it is tried. But today Republicnas are running as libs, and libs are running as conssrvatives

Most of the freshmen Dems elected in 2006 could have run as Republicans. This is why San Fran Nan is NOT bring up the offshore drilling bill, to many Dems would vote for it

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
I am a firm believer conservatism wins eveytime it is tried. But today Republicnas are running as libs, and libs are running as conssrvatives

Most of the freshmen Dems elected in 2006 could have run as Republicans. This is why San Fran Nan is NOT bring up the offshore drilling bill, to many Dems would vote for it

That still won't get you elected. You don't have the party backing and you wouldn't get it if you threatened to cut pork.

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
That still won't get you elected. You don't have the party backing and you wouldn't get it if you threatened to cut pork.

Immie

Could be. But I am confident enough people will support it and send a message to the powers that be. Remember how the folks killed the McCain/Kennedy amnesty bill?

Immanuel
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Could be. But I am confident enough people will support it and send a message to the powers that be. Remember how the folks killed the McCain/Kennedy amnesty bill?

We've been sending the "cut pork" message for decades and what have we gotten for it?

Immie

red states rule
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
We've been sending the "cut pork" message for decades and what have we gotten for it?

Immie

No we have not. I not seen anything close to the level of outrage on pork as I saw on amnesty

I suspect the voters need a replay of Peanut Carter economy and policies before they smarten up

If the messiah wins, that is what will happen