PDA

View Full Version : Double standards on speech

stephanie
03-10-2007, 04:36 AM
:dunno: :coffee:

By Mike Gallagher
Friday, March 9, 2007

Joy Behar, one of the hosts of ABC-TV’s “The View”, announces that she’s delighted that Vice-President Cheney is “in trouble” and that his recent health scare, a potentially life-threatening blood clot in his leg, is due to his “lying.”

The studio audience cheers.

Host Bill Maher answers questions during the panel for the HBO talk show "Real Time with Bill Maher" at the Television Critics Association 2007 winter press tour in Pasadena, California, January 12, 2007. REUTERS/Phil McCarten (UNITED STATES) HBO’s Bill Maher, who was relegated to cable after being canned from ABC for praising the 9/11 hijackers as brave (and our military as cowardly), attempts to make the case that the world would be a better place had assassins successfully murdered Mr. Cheney in Afghanistan.

Nobody seems to mind.

Did you ever stop and wonder what some of these vicious, angry, bitter, mean-spirited liberals are like in real life?

I mean, surely someone loves Joy Behar. Bill Maher has to have some friends and family. These are people who undoubtedly have had loved ones sick or in trouble.

So why do they have a missing “decency gene” when it comes to Republican leaders?

I truly cannot begin to comprehend how a TV studio audience of a bunch of bored housewives could clap and hoot and holler for a loud-mouthed comedienne making fun of a sitting Vice-President’s health crisis.

It’s inconceivable to me that a man like Bill Maher can collect a big, fat paycheck while publicly pining for the murder of our commander-in-chief’s right-hand man while this great country is smack dab in the middle of a war.

Politics aside, I often wonder how these people can look themselves in the mirror.

On a purely personal level, I doubt that Joy Behar or Bill Maher have ever spent any one-on-one time with President Bush or Vice-President Cheney. I’ve been fortunate to do so, and it’s pretty obvious that these are decent, caring, compassionate men who want what’s best for the United States. After my nearly two-hour meeting with the President in the Oval Office, I walked away convinced that he spends practically every waking moment of his day trying to keep us safe from another terrorist attack. Cheney has spent a lifetime of distinguished public service to his country.

And yet these good men are routinely trashed by the likes of Maher and Behar (and Rosie O’Donnell, Alec Baldwin, Al Franken, Frank Rich, and on and on) to a degree that should make any civil person cringe.

Heck, I don’t think Osama bin Laden himself has had anything said about him as nasty as the things the left likes to say about the Bush Administration.

And yet when Ann Coulter makes a joke about the dopey act of running off to rehab for saying a bad word, liberals – and a few conservatives – go positively apoplectic. Once again, Ms. Coulter finds herself in the cross-hairs of righteously indignant people who can’t believe how crass she can be.

Let’s see, what’s worse: a schoolyard taunt about a presidential candidate or laughing about blood clots and wishing for the assassination of the number two man to the leader of the free world?

It’s not even close.

In another time, folks like Bill Maher and Joy Behar would be tied to a pole, given a blindfold and cigarette, and executed for treason.

These days…well, I guess it’s just entertainment.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/column.aspx?UrlTitle=double_standards_on_speech&ns=MikeGallagher&dt=03/09/2007&page=full&comments=true

03-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Makes you wonder what on earth possesses someone to be happy about wanting others sick or dead, while being angry at name calling.

Apparently it's "enlightened" to want people you disagree with dead.

I was listening to JC Watts on Hannity earlier and he was discussing name calling for some reason and mentioned that "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" was a lie. That words mean something.

I like Mr. Watts, but I disagree. I mean I agree words mean something, and name can hurt. But I don't think they can hurt you unless you let them hurt you. You have to allow yourself to be a victim. Quite frankly, I don't want to give anyone that kind of power over me.

But I do agree that words mean something. And when people talk about wanting others dead, we need to be paying attention.

stephanie
03-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Makes you wonder what on earth possesses someone to be happy about wanting others sick or dead, while being angry at name calling.

Apparently it's "enlightened" to want people you disagree with dead.

I was listening to JC Watts on Hannity earlier and he was discussing name calling for some reason and mentioned that "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" was a lie. That words mean something.

I like Mr. Watts, but I disagree. I mean I agree words mean something, and name can hurt. But I don't think they can hurt you unless you let them hurt you. You have to allow yourself to be a victim. Quite frankly, I don't want to give anyone that kind of power over me.

But I do agree that words mean something. And when people talk about wanting others dead, we need to be paying attention.

I agree my dear.....

I never like Bill Clinton, but I would never wish him a horrible death from Alzheimer's or to be assassinated.......

I don't know where it stops...???

I'm afraid it's already too late...I hope not.........
But??

03-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree my dear.....

I never like Bill Clinton, but I would never wish him a horrible death from Alzheimer's or to be assassinated.......

I don't know where it stops...???

I'm afraid it's already too late...I hope not.........
But??

Im not sure it stops... I see indications of things heading to bloodshed.

Gaffer
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Im not sure it stops... I see indications of things heading to bloodshed.

I do too avatar. maybe not right away, I think it will continue to be tolerated for quite a while longer but its going to erupt if the libs don't get their way and lose big time in the next election. Basically a civil war. Between the left and the right.

03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I do too avatar. maybe not right away, I think it will continue to be tolerated for quite a while longer but its going to erupt if the libs don't get their way and lose big time in the next election. Basically a civil war. Between the left and the right.

We are in a sort of cold war as it is. I don't think it would take much to explode into something greater. Look at the vandalism that happens every election cycle. it gets worse and worse.

Then of course there is the fact that liberals try to delegitimize the election everytime they lose. They even did it with the election they won, although not to the extent they did on previous ones. But it doesnt change the fact that people will start to feel elections dont mean something, will find them illegitimate and eventually collapse the system.

And of course we have activists on both sides who are getting more and more hostile in their demonstrations. It's just not a pretty picture for the future right now.

Gaffer
03-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I see it the same way. You'll know its getting started when the fighting in the streets starts over political shit. Fist fights and such, like when the lefties attack speakers in college auditoriums. They will start shooting at them next. The battle lines will start getting drawn then.

manu1959
03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I see it the same way. You'll know its getting started when the fighting in the streets starts over political shit. Fist fights and such, like when the lefties attack speakers in college auditoriums. They will start shooting at them next. The battle lines will start getting drawn then.

i seem to recall libs attacking gop offices in florida a few years back....

stephanie
03-10-2007, 11:54 PM
i seem to recall libs attacking GOP offices in Florida a few years back....

And their Vans tires..So tolerant of them..

Gaffer
03-11-2007, 12:12 AM
If the libs get beat bad enough in the next election I expect you'll see a lot more crimanl action and maybe even an outright attempt to overthrow the government. They are that nasty.

stephanie
03-11-2007, 12:23 AM
If the libs get beat bad enough in the next election I expect you'll see a lot more criminal action and maybe even an outright attempt to overthrow the government. They are that nasty.

I think you could be right..
I believe they've been setting this up to happen, when they started saying the 2000 election was stolen..

Could get nasty..

03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
If the libs get beat bad enough in the next election I expect you'll see a lot more crimanl action and maybe even an outright attempt to overthrow the government. They are that nasty.

I can see conservatives acting the same way too. Especially if Hillary somehow wins.