PDA

View Full Version : Need input on electric guitars......

Trinity
08-01-2008, 07:07 AM
So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set.:eek: I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.

manu1959
08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set.:eek: I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.

yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......

Trinity
08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......

They have rock band and guitar hero....

manu1959
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
They have rock band and guitar hero....

yes.....now they want the real thing......ready for guitar lessons....my son found out the real thing is much harder....he has a $500 clothes rack and foot stool...:laugh2:

dan
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Yamaha used to sell a cheap-ish (around $200) guitar, but I can't remember the name of it. I don't really keep up with guitar stuff as much as I used to, but you should definitely check out your local pawn shops, you can find a deal in those sometimes (but be warned that you can also get screwed in those too), and go to musiciansfriend.com (http://www.musiciansfriend.com) to get an idea of what's out there.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Trinity, I used to own a music store and I have been a musician all my life. I think I can solve your problem with a credible suggestion and advise.

Fender has several outfits that certainly meet your criterion and I strongly recommend that you give Fender your utmost consideration. Their outfits are competitive in price with everybody else including the super cheap stuff. The specifications that Fender insists upon always result in a good sounding, good playing, and reliable product. I would have loved to have their line in my store but I didn't have the $50,000 to get their very cheapest franchise.

I did, however, scour the pawn shops, other stores and other venues to seek out all the Fender products I could find and I always made money reselling them and I always felt good about the quality of the products and the sale.

Under no circumstances should you consider anything that has Esteban or anything like that on the headstock!!!!!!!!!!! There is a lot of unplayable cheap crap out there so be very careful!!!!! I don't know about you, but even $200 is too much to pay for something that simply can't be played!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if your kids eventually give up the desire to play, the Fender stuff can very easily be resold for about what you paid for it.

That's my advise!!!!!!!! Good luck and good day!!!!!!!!!!

dan
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
*I meant Fender in my post, not Yamaha, although Yamaha's got some great stuff. My first guitar was a Yamaha electric SG copy.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Actually, dan, Yamaha is also a very good line that can be trusted "MOST" of the time. Generally, Yamaha specs are high quality and reliable but they do sometimes rely on substandard, in my honest opinion, contractors to fill their low end market merchandise venues.

*I meant Fender in my post, not Yamaha, although Yamaha's got some great stuff. My first guitar was a Yamaha electric SG copy.

I still have a Yamaha SG5A guitar and a Yamaha TA30 amp that I bought in Japan in 1971. I would hold these products up against anybody's equipment. Yamaha also still makes some extremely good low end equipment but it usually takes someone with a background similar to mine to separate the good from the bad in that particular line. Much of their present day low end stuff is unplayable and not resaleable but there are exceptions.

Understanding what low end equipment is and represents, I have found no match for the low end Fender stuff and I have looked at ALL OF IT.

Overall, however, Yamaha is a good bet for quality. I'm just not into betting when it comes to my money. I hope that isn't confusing to you?!?!?!?!?!?!

Kathianne
08-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Trinity, I used to own a music store and I have been a musician all my life. I think I can solve your problem with a credible suggestion and advise.

Fender has several outfits that certainly meet your criterion and I strongly recommend that you give Fender your utmost consideration. Their outfits are competitive in price with everybody else including the super cheap stuff. The specifications that Fender insists upon always result in a good sounding, good playing, and reliable product. I would have loved to have their line in my store but I didn't have the $50,000 to get their very cheapest franchise.

I did, however, scour the pawn shops, other stores and other venues to seek out all the Fender products I could find and I always made money reselling them and I always felt good about the quality of the products and the sale.

Under no circumstances should you consider anything that has Esteban or anything like that on the headstock!!!!!!!!!!! There is a lot of unplayable cheap crap out there so be very careful!!!!! I don't know about you, but even $200 is too much to pay for something that simply can't be played!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if your kids eventually give up the desire to play, the Fender stuff can very easily be resold for about what you paid for it.

That's my advise!!!!!!!! Good luck and good day!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to second this advice. All my kids played instruments throughout school years, two of them have continued as adults. Let's see, we have piano, drums, cello, viola, trumpet, and 2 guitars. My ex was and is in a band. Bass player. Wouldn't own anything but Fender. When the kids wanted to take up guitar, mind you with experience of work involved in learning an instrument, they got used Fenders. My daughter, the real musician, has since bought her own.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
marteen, sometimes music teachers have a financial interest in suggestions on equipment beyond their services as "teacher". Having owned a music store with absolute personal interests in product selection by my customers and students and understanding retail in that way I do not recommend the suggestions of most teachers.

why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.

I am no longer in the retail music business but I do have a fairly unique ability and desire to offer up credible and uncompensated advise for those aspiring to to a musical endeavor and consideration. I trust that Trinity would desire that kind of uncompensated opinion, don't you think?!?!?!?!?!

6 String Box Guitar Shuffle: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

dan
08-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Actually, dan, Yamaha is also a very good line that can be trusted "MOST" of the time. Generally, Yamaha specs are high quality and reliable but they do sometimes rely on substandard, in my honest opinion, contractors to fill their low end market merchandise venues.

I still have a Yamaha SG5A guitar and a Yamaha TA30 amp that I bought in Japan in 1971. I would hold these products up against anybody's equipment. Yamaha also still makes some extremely good low end equipment but it usually takes someone with a background similar to mine to separate the good from the bad in that particular line. Much of their present day low end stuff is unplayable and not resaleable but there are exceptions.

Understanding what low end equipment is and represents, I have found no match for the low end Fender stuff and I have looked at ALL OF IT.

Overall, however, Yamaha is a good bet for quality. I'm just not into betting when it comes to my money. I hope that isn't confusing to you?!?!?!?!?!?!

Makes perfect sense, Pb. One thing I've heard about Japanese guitars is that the frets are slightly smaller, which might be better for a younger player. For the record, here's pretty much what my Yamaha looks like:

http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/minken/IMG_0880.JPG

The only difference is the volume knobs look different. But, other than that, that's what it looks like. These days, I mostly play my Ovation acoustic, electric guitars don't work in apartments too well.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Fantastic, dan!!!!!!! That particular axe is one of the truly good ones in the Yamaha line!!!!!!!! One word of caution, however?!?!??! Yamaha has used several different factories for the production of that model and some are much better than others. Set up is also a problem for the novice player and I don't recommend allowing a novice to attempt it. That said, I have never seen a "bad" copy of that model from Yamaha.

Makes perfect sense, Pb. One thing I've heard about Japanese guitars is that the frets are slightly smaller, which might be better for a younger player. For the record, here's pretty much what my Yamaha looks like:

http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/minken/IMG_0880.JPG

The only difference is the volume knobs look different. But, other than that, that's what it looks like. These days, I mostly play my Ovation acoustic, electric guitars don't work in apartments too well.

Excellent suggestion, dan!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a great place to open a bar!!!!: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

dan
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Fantastic, dan!!!!!!! That particular axe is one of the truly good ones in the Yamaha line!!!!!!!! One word of caution, however?!?!??! Yamaha has used several different factories for the production of that model and some are much better than others. Set up is also a problem for the novice player and I don't recommend allowing a novice to attempt it. That said, I have never seen a "bad" copy of that model from Yamaha.

Excellent suggestion, dan!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a great place to open a bar!!!!: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Hey, you drink enough and anyplace is a good place to open a bar! I'll have a rum and coke!

I'm happy with that Yamaha. The only complaint I have is that it's very heavy, so if you're playing it with a strap, after 15 minutes or so, your shoulder gets really tired.

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey!!!!! That's all solid maple and mahogony you got hangin' around your neck, cowboy!!!!!! Orthaepedic doctors just love you for it!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, you drink enough and anyplace is a good place to open a bar! I'll have a rum and coke!

I'm happy with that Yamaha. The only complaint I have is that it's very heavy, so if you're playing it with a strap, after 15 minutes or so, your shoulder gets really tired.

Rum and coke on the double!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the Friday Night Blues: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Sitarro
08-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I have always been partial to the sound of Gibsons, especially the Les Paul. Paul Reed Smith and Rickenbacker are others that my ears like the sound of. Fenders have always sounded too bright although I will make an exception for Hendrix, he got some incredible sound out of his Strat.

I'm not a musician, I was always into painting and photography, but I do love listening and have a large collection of music. Two of my brothers are guitar players. Both play Gibson electric and one plays a Martin acoustic.

Trinity
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM

I have a music teacher in house Gaffer...he plays guitar and drums imagine the money i will save in lessons!!!!:coffee:

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Gibsons are truly legendary and excellent instruments, zero. I've played and owned a number of them. Gibson has never built an amp that I like and I don't believe they have ever built anything for the low end market that Trinity describes as a primary concern. Epiphone, a subsidiary of Gibson, does sell low end stuff but I find their equipment totally inconsistent, overpriced for what it is and unreliable even in the higher end pieces. Epiphone, also legendary and excellent many years ago, is not a brand I would give serious consideration to today.

I have always been partial to the sound of Gibsons, especially the Les Paul. Paul Reed Smith and Rickenbacker are others that my ears like the sound of. Fenders have always sounded too bright although I will make an exception for Hendrix, he got some incredible sound out of his Strat.

I'm not a musician, I was always into painting and photography, but I do love listening and have a large collection of music. Two of my brothers are guitar players. Both play Gibson electric and one plays a Martin acoustic.

C. F. Martin!!!!!! Excellent for an acoustic player that likes steel strings. I don't care for their nylon stringed classical, don't tell Willie Nelson I said that, because I consider them entirely overpriced and under the quality level desired by most classical players.

I maintain my suggestion to the Fender line.

Hit it, Roseanne Cash, Tennessee Flat Top Box: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Trinity
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM

My 12 year old mentioned Les Paul of course i know absolutely nothing of what is what.....however I hear many of you mentioning fenders so I will have to look into that one as well

Trinity
08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
ok I hear all of you mentioning different brands of guitars...but what about amps? Can I start them off with a cheap amp and if so what brand of amp?

Remember these are very young want to be big hair band musicians!

Who would have guessed my boy's would be into the music I listened to as a teen!:laugh2:

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM
I continue my recommendation for Fender products, Trinity. Even their $80 to $150 models are awesome, sound great and hold up against anything else out there. Fender does the low end market superbly!!!!!!!!

ok I hear all of you mentioning different brands of guitars...but what about amps? Can I start them off with a cheap amp and if so what brand of amp?

Remember these are very young want to be big hair band musicians!

Who would have guessed my boy's would be into the music I listened to as a teen!:laugh2:

There are other good low end amps but I also have a problem with consistency in other lines. My money is on Fender in all circumstances.

Hit it, Kingston Trio: Louie, Louie: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
The Les Paul is a very expensive Gibson product, Trinity. There are low end copies but none are suitable, in my opinion, for beginners or for quality consideration. Apparently you probably don't know what a Fender Statocaster is either but that is the instrument that I would steer the kids towards. They are 3 pick up solid body guitars that have all the tone variations that are normally needed and they play extremely well. You will, however, need to make certain the retailer from whom you purchase it will agree to set it up as sometimes they come from the factory with a rather clumsy action adjustment.

My 12 year old mentioned Les Paul of course i know absolutely nothing of what is what.....however I hear many of you mentioning fenders so I will have to look into that one as well

Good luck on your purchases, Trinity!!!!!! I wish I was still in the business and I would certainly give you the very best equipment at the very best price and with the very best guarantee in the entire market!!!!!!!! Including shipping!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Jamm: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Are either of the kids left handed?

Trinity
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
The Les Paul is a very expensive Gibson product, Trinity. There are low end copies but none are suitable, in my opinion, for beginners or for quality consideration. Apparently you probably don't know what a Fender Statocaster is either but that is the instrument that I would steer the kids towards. They are 3 pick up solid body guitars that have all the tone variations that are normally needed and they play extremely well. You will, however, need to make certain the retailer from whom you purchase it will agree to set it up as sometimes they come from the factory with a rather clumsy action adjustment.

Good luck on your purchases, Trinity!!!!!! I wish I was still in the business and I would certainly give you the very best equipment at the very best price and with the very best guarantee in the entire market!!!!!!!! Including shipping!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Jamm: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Thanks Psyco, and yes your right I have no idea what a Fender Statocaster is, other then it's a guitar. But I have the sneaking suspicion I will be quite educated in guitars by the time Christmas rolls around.

Trinity
08-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Are either of the kids left handed?

No, both right handed.

Trinity
08-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Oh my god......I just went to the Fender web site to check out the Fender Statocaster most of their guitars were $2000.00 a piece. :eek:

I found the statocaster and it was $600.00.

I know a couple of boy's, that if they decide they want better guitars later on down the road, they better find part time jobs when they turn 14.

Psychoblues
08-02-2008, 08:18 AM
No, oh no, Trinity!!!!!!! There are much cheaper Fenders available!!!!!!! Do some research!!!!!!! You'll find them, and pretty good lil' $100 amps as well!!!!!!

Oh my god......I just went to the Fender web site to check out the Fender Statocaster most of their guitars were $2000.00 a piece. :eek:

I found the statocaster and it was $600.00.

I know a couple of boy's, that if they decide they want better guitars later on down the road, they better find part time jobs when they turn 14.

Another poster gave a link to Musicians Friend website. That's a good place to shop for what you're looking for!!!!!!! Believe me, Trinity, You Don't Have To Spend That Kind Of Big Bucks To Get Genuine Fender Merchandise!!!!!!!! I'll talk to them about that website of theirs!!!!!!!! Just kidding you, Trinity, Fender don't know me from Adam!!!!!!!! Look around, Trinity. You've got plenty of time!!!!!

I asked the question about the preferred handing for a reason, Trinity. Your kids are both right handed so my thoughts on that are null and void in your particular case!!!!!!

Good luck shopping and a very merry Christmas far in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Bing, I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Trinity
08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
ok so we happen to run into a really good deal on an electric guitar from my husbands brother he had a Gibson Baldwin and a amp he sold to us for my oldest sons football visor and $20.00.

My oldest has had this guitar for less then 24 hours and has managed to teach himself the beginning of smoke on the water.:thewave:

You should see the glow and the passion on this child's face all I can say is wow!

Yeah I know it was supposed to be a Christmas gift but call it a trial period.

dan
08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Not a bad deal at all! Now, just show them a few power chords and teach them how to read tabilature and you've got a couple punk rockers!

Trinity
08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Here are some pics of my son's new guitar .......He loves it! He managed to learn how to play the beginning of Smoke on the water within the first 24 hours and he is now playing the beginning of some other songs not sure what the names of them are though.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/kami1970/P8060002.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/kami1970/guitar3.jpg

Not a bad deal for a football visor and $20.00.

Psychoblues
08-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Now, what can you do for the other boy at Christmas!!!!!!!! Even this kid will be expecting something, don't you think?

Trinity
08-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Now, what can you do for the other boy at Christmas!!!!!!!! Even this kid will be expecting something, don't you think?

The other one is still undecided between guitar and drums I wish he would make up his mind soon.

Psychoblues
08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Get him some bongo drums and a tamborine. Any make will do.

The other one is still undecided between guitar and drums I wish he would make up his mind soon.

WalMart rules in that area.

actsnoblemartin
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Get him some bongo drums and a tamborine. Any make will do.

WalMart rules in that area.

guitar center is better then shitmart :laugh2:

5stringJeff
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Well, it seems I'm a bit late, but Fender makes a line of guitars called Squire. They are good for beginners. A guitar and practice amp shouldn't run more than about $250.

Or, convince your younger son to play bass. There are lots of guitar players, but the bass is the foundation of the band!!! :rock:

Nukeman
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I have noticed that no one has mentioned an Alvarez Artist, I have one of these and I really love it. the neck is a little bigger than a Gibson, Carvin, or Fender.. I would make a suggestion to also get him a acoustic due to the developing finger strength.

The electric doesn't take as much pressure as an acoustic. I find practicing on the acoustic makes it easier to play the electric.... IMHO

Trinity
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
So my 13 year old has become quite the little guitar player. In less then a year this kid has learned to play Metallica, AC/DC, Three Days Grace, Black Sabbath among numerous others.

He went to his father's house, for his father's birthday party, a couple of weeks ago, and his father had a band there. William got to play his first Les Paul with the band, he played lead, they played Metallica - Seek and Destroy......The kid was stoked!!!

Now he wants a bass guitar too, go figure! :eek: