PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart Mobilizes Against Dems

red states rule
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Wal Mart knows full well that Dems are bad for business and they are getting ready for the war Dems will declare on Wal Mart

Wal-Mart warning managers of labor bill

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) said on Friday it has held meetings with U.S. store managers warning them of issues that could arise if Democrats win power and pass a law that would make it easier for workers to unionize, but stressed it was not telling workers how to vote.

Wal-Mart opposes proposed legislation called the Employee Free Choice Act, which would make it easier for workers to unionize by signing a card rather than holding a vote.

"We believe EFCA is a bad bill and we have been on record as opposing it for some time," Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar said. "We feel educating our associates about the bill is the right thing to do."

The Wall Street Journal reported that about a dozen employees who attended meetings in seven states said executives told them employees would be required to pay hefty union dues and get nothing in return, and warned that unionization could force Wal-Mart to cut jobs as labor costs rise.

The Journal report said Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings do not specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's presidential election, but they make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080801/bs_nm/walmart_democrats_dc

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings do not specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's presidential election, but they make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in.

I'm not so sure that is the best way to put things in this situation.

It seems clear to me that although Walmart may not want unions in, there is a good possibility that their employees may see it differently then the employer. A better way of putting that might be to tell them that if Barack Obama becomes president and this law is passed Walmart and many other companies will be forced to lay people off in order to survive.

An implied threat there? Hell yes, but if it is true then that is the terms it should be presented in? Tell them... we estimate we would have to cut our staff down 20% meaning 2 in 10 of you would have to be let go. Then let them look around the meeting.

Immie

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

It seems clear to me that although Walmart may not want unions in, there is a good possibility that their employees may see it differently then the employer. A better way of putting that might be to tell them that if Barack Obama becomes president and this law is passed Walmart and many other companies will be forced to lay people off in order to survive.

An implied threat there? Hell yes, but if it is true then that is the terms it should be presented in? Tell them... we estimate we would have to cut our staff down 20% meaning 2 in 10 of you would have to be let go. Then let them look around the meeting.

Immie

Unions ruin the companies they infest

Look at the car industry for a great example

Dems see a cash cow in this. Unions steal money from the employees and give a big chunk of it to the Dems via contributions

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Unions ruin the companies they infest

Look at the car industry for a great example

Dems see a cash cow in this. Unions steal money from the employees and give a big chunk of it to the Dems via contributions

While that is true today and has been for some time... the plight of the the American worker has more than likely been improved by unions over the years. There are a lot of things we take for granted today that came about because of unions such as health insurance benefits, higher wages etc.

Immie

PS the fact that there is a crisis in the insurance industry does not change the fact that most of us have insurance because of unions.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
While that is true today and has been for some time... the plight of the the American worker has more than likely been improved by unions over the years. There are a lot of things we take for granted today that came about because of unions such as health insurance benefits, higher wages etc.

Immie

PS the fact that there is a crisis in the insurance industry does not change the fact that most of us have insurance because of unions.

Have you seen the increase in employment and the growth of the US economy - while the number of union members have declined steadily?

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Have you seen the increase in employment and the growth of the US economy - while the number of union members have declined steadily?

Tell me... what does that have to do with the good done by unions in the past?

Immie

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Tell me... what does that have to do with the good done by unions in the past?

Immie

Decades ago, unions perhaps were a good thing - now they are not worth it. The mob has a piece of them, and unuion leaders are out to line their own pockets

Unions now are leaches on business and only harms the companies they infest

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Decades ago, unions perhaps were a good thing - now they are not worth it. The mob has a piece of them, and unuion leaders are out to line their own pockets

Unions now are leaches on business and only harms the companies they infest

There... see we agree on this as well. :clap:

Immie

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
There... see we agree on this as well. :clap:

Immie

I do call them as I see them

Wal Mart has done for working folks then any damn government program

midcan5
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Given the situation of the working poor and middle class it should be an embarrassment to praise walmart and denigrate unions. The working poor have suffered since Reagan's destruction of the only power working people had on their side. The decline is obvious and to have a major company enter into politics in this way demonstrates how greedy corporate America has become.

"...Dean Baker debunks the myth that conservatives favor the market over government intervention. In fact, conservatives rely on a range of “nanny state” policies that ensure the rich get richer while leaving most Americans worse off. It’s time for the rules to change. Sound economic policy should harness the market in ways that produce desirable social outcomes – decent wages, good jobs and affordable health care."

http://www.conservativenannystate.org/

retiredman
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
if workers want to unionize, it should be their right to do so.

Have you seen "The High Cost of Low Prices"? A great documentary about WalMart.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Given the situation of the working poor and middle class it should be an embarrassment to praise walmart and denigrate unions. The working poor have suffered since Reagan's destruction of the only power working people had on their side. The decline is obvious and to have a major company enter into politics in this way demonstrates how greedy corporate America has become.

"...Dean Baker debunks the myth that conservatives favor the market over government intervention. In fact, conservatives rely on a range of “nanny state” policies that ensure the rich get richer while leaving most Americans worse off. It’s time for the rules to change. Sound economic policy should harness the market in ways that produce desirable social outcomes – decent wages, good jobs and affordable health care."

http://www.conservativenannystate.org/

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/126316.jpg

red states rule
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM

and the hit piece is made by union thugs

and Wal mart has the right to fight off the union thugs to protect their company

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Yes, they should be able to unionize if they want to. However, an employer should also have the right to tell employees that a union means higher costs to the employer and the very distinct possibility that a union would mean a cut in the labor force.

Unions and the men/women who run them today are nothing more than politicians looking for power and money. They don't care about the employees. They are deep in the pockets or the political parties and like politicians, they don't give a damned about the employee except for the payment of union dues.

Immie

retiredman
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
and the hit piece is made by union thugs

and Wal mart has the right to fight off the union thugs to protect their company

but if the employees want the union, they have every right to have one.

Yes, they should be able to unionize if they want to. However, an employer should also have the right to tell employees that a union means higher costs to the employer and the very distinct possibility that a union would mean a cut in the labor force.

Unions and the men/women who run them today are nothing more than politicians looking for power and money. They don't care about the employees. They are deep in the pockets or the political parties and like politicians, they don't give a damned about the employee except for the payment of union dues.

Immie

The local state employees union rents parking space at my church. many of their officers attend my church. I think your characterization of them is in error.

darin
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I would love to see CONGRESS take on Unions - I'd love to see legislation banned 'closed shops'. Unions are good for one thing: Making Union bosses rich.

:(

If people want to unionize, fine. Forcing membership upon folk blows.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
The local state employees union rents parking space at my church. many of their officers attend my church. I think your characterization of them is in error.

The ONLY reason Dems attack Wal Mart is because they see a huge cash cow. Union things steal dues from the workers, and the unions give a portion to the Dems in contributions

Unions will do to Wal Mart what they did to the auto industry

Immanuel
08-01-2008, 01:04 PM

I don't but you are welcomed to your opinion MFM. :)

And please... feel free to tell them so.

Immie

red states rule
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't but you are welcomed to your opinion MFM. :)

And please... feel free to tell them so.

Immie

I bellieve one Wal Mart store in Canada was infested by a union - Wal Mart closed the store

Then the union had a large number of unemployed members - and no union dues to suck out of their paychecks

retiredman
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM

another one of your prescient prognostications? Have you ever MET a local union representative?

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
another one of your prescient prognostications? Have you ever MET a local union representative?

I have met union hacks. There is a lib activist who is a big shot in the Dem party where I live. He you look like Pat Buchanan

It is not a prognostication that unions destroyed the auto inductry

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:16 PM
The ONLY reason Dems attack Wal Mart is because they see a huge cash cow. Union things steal dues from the workers, and the unions give a portion to the Dems in contributions

walmart illegally bans employees from forming a union

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
walmart illegally bans employees from forming a union

No they don't

If the employees take a chance to join a useless union, they run the risk of the company closing the store

It sends a strong message to the unions to stay the hell out of their business

retiredman
08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I have met union hacks. There is a lib activist who is a big shot in the Dem party where I live. He you look like Pat Buchanan

it is opinion that the unions destroyed the auto industry.

it is prognostication that the unions will destroy walmart.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I think to say all unions bad is stupid and not true.

we need GOOD unions to protect employees against abuses, your simplistic analysis, is not helpful

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
i thought the auto industry was destroyed by better cars from other countries?

it is opinion that the unions destroyed the auto industry.

it is prognostication that the unions will destroy walmart.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I think to say all unions bad is stupid and not true.

we need GOOD unions to protect employees against abuses, your simplistic analysis, is not helpful

Martin, many years ago unions did good work

As I posted before, unions are now linked to the mob, and the union bosses are interested in lining their own pockets

Dems see unions as a cash cow. The union steals money from the workers, and give a chuck of that money to the Dmes via contributions

The workers get screwed over.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
bullcrap

No they don't

yes they do, that's horseshit :finger3:

If the employees take a chance to join a useless union, they run the risk of the company closing the store

walmart is not gonna close the store, they are gonna illegally fire the workers who tried to form a union. :laugh2:

It sends a strong message to the unions to stay the hell out of their business

no it doesnt, it sends a strong message that they can f*** with their employees and one can do a dam thing about it,

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I understand that, but why NOT fix the unions so the workers stop being screwed over.

if the choices are do nothing and let unions screw workers over, or have no unions, i say fix the unions

where am i wrong?

Martin, many years ago unions did good work

As I posted before, unions are now linked to the mob, and the union bosses are interested in lining their own pockets

Dems see unions as a cash cow. The union steals money from the workers, and give a chuck of that money to the Dmes via contributions

The workers get screwed over.

retiredman
08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I understand that, but why NOT fix the unions so the workers stop being screwed over.

if the choices are do nothing and let unions screw workers over, or have no unions, i say fix the unions

where am i wrong?

to make a blanket statement that unions are controlled by the mob is a lie. but he knows that.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM

where am i wrong?

Martin, people have tried to clean up the unuons since the days of Hoffa

Have you seen how the US economy and jobs have grown, while union membership has tanked?

Hmmm.............

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
to make a blanket statement that unions are controlled by the mob is a lie. but he knows that.

do u agree with my point, the government's job is to regulate unions so that they do whats best for workers i.e. dont commit fraud, or steal money for their workers

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Martin, people have tried to clean up the unuons since the days of Hoffa

Have you seen how the US economy and jobs have grown, while union membership has tanked?

Hmmm.............

am i supposed to give up?

no i havent

hmm what :P

retiredman
08-01-2008, 02:41 PM
correlation is not causation. Hoffa was not representative of unionleadership.

keep slinging mud and making inaccurate overgeneralizations.... it IS what you do, after all.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM

keep slinging mud and making inaccurate overgeneralizations.... it IS what you do, after all.

what is the difference between correlation and caussation?

and hoffa was who again?

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Yea, Hoffa was only the head of the Teamsters

Being a lib, you see dollar signs with unions infesting Wal Mart. Power is the only thing you care about anyway

hjmick
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
and hoffa was who again?

Aah crap...

OCA
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM

and hoffa was who again?

LMFAO! The tard don't know who Hoffa was!:laugh2:

This board is way out of your league.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Aah crap...

im not even in my thirties yet, am i supposed to know everything :slap:

retiredman

and hoffa was who again?

come on martin. You can use websters online can't you?

Hoffa was the head of the teamsters union back whenb JFK was in office. He went missing and is long presumed to have been murdered by the mob.

OCA
Aah crap...

Don't hold back Mick! I nearly pissed myself when I saw Ray say that!

hjmick
08-01-2008, 02:45 PM

No, you're not. The question just made me feel very old.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:46 PM

Hoffa was the head of the teamsters union back whenb JFK was in office. He went missing and is long presumed to have been murdered by the mob.

and the mob is still in the unions, and the union bosses are getting rich off thier members

OCA

Lol everyone has heard about Hoffa at 1 point in their life..................well maybe not down at the ARC but down there they've probably heard of the movie lol.

Kathianne
do u agree with my point, the government's job is to regulate unions so that they do whats best for workers i.e. dont commit fraud, or steal money for their workers
Actually the government via taxes would be part of the problem with unions.

OCA
08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
and the mob is still in the unions, and the union bosses are getting rich off thier members

Actually, no, it isn't. I'm no fan of unions but i'm an expert on the mob past and present and its present is basically non-existent.

Immanuel

And resting peacefully in one of the end zones at Giants Stadium in NY last I heard.

:)

Immie

retiredman

again..to make the general broad sweeping statements that unions are controlled by mods and union bosses are getting rich off of their members is inaccurate and casts much more heat than light. typical of you.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Actually, no, it isn't. I'm no fan of unions but i'm an expert on the mob past and present and its present is basically non-existent.

Yea, right

Tell that to most contractors and construction firms in NY

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Yea, right

:link:

hjmick
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Here you go, Martin, read up: Jimmy Hoffa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa)

If your interest is piqued, you might want to rent Hoffa starring Jack Nicholson. It may not be the most accurate biographical film ever made, but you'll get the idea. Besides, it is a good film.

OCA
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Yea, right

They've been driven out, both by the authorities and their own inabilities to control their greed, oh and that the old guard died out and the new guard ratted each other out for an extra nickel.

This ain't the 1970's anymore, the mob is basically dead. You don't know shit except for what you've seen in movies, its obvious from your posts kid.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
thanks, i knew he was kidnapped, and presumed missing, but not the other stuff

Here you go, Martin, read up: Jimmy Hoffa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa)

If your interest is piqued, you might want to rent Hoffa starring Jack Nicholson. It may not be the most accurate biographical film ever made, but you'll get the idea. Besides, it is a good film.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
:link:

Mob tied to big NYC construction jobs

NEW YORK — The trucks that rolled into Staten Island left more than dirt at the site of a new NASCAR racetrack. They also brought cash for the Gambino crime family, prosecutors say.
It was all part of the cost of doing business at construction sites around the area that prosecutors say were rampant with mob corruption.

The shakedowns were outlined in a sweeping indictment this week that led to the arrests of dozens of mobsters on charges including murder, gambling, drug dealing and credit-card fraud. It was one of the largest mob crackdowns in recent memory.

The extortion in the construction industry -- described mostly in the indictment by an informant who paid off the mob on jobs for his trucking, cement and excavation businesses -- prove that organized crime's ties to construction are as strong as ever, observers say.

"It's still a major problem in the construction industry," said Randy Mastro, a former federal prosecutor who also targeted mob ties to construction as a deputy mayor with Rudy Giuliani. "It's like rat infestation in the city. ... Somehow they reproduce and come back."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Staten Island | Mob | Gambino | Nascar | Schiavone | NYC | Michael King | Indictment | Jin Lee
The indictment also raises questions about the integrity of several high-profile projects in the city, in the middle of one of its busiest building booms in decades.

One of six major construction officials indicted Thursday was Anthony Delvescovo, director of tunnel operations for Schiavone Construction Co. of Secaucus, N.J. The company has dozens of government contracts worth billions, including the extension of a subway line and a new city water tunnel. A woman who answered the phone at Schiavone said the company had no comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-09-722014903_x.htm

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Mob tied to big NYC construction jobs

NEW YORK — The trucks that rolled into Staten Island left more than dirt at the site of a new NASCAR racetrack. They also brought cash for the Gambino crime family, prosecutors say.
It was all part of the cost of doing business at construction sites around the area that prosecutors say were rampant with mob corruption.

The shakedowns were outlined in a sweeping indictment this week that led to the arrests of dozens of mobsters on charges including murder, gambling, drug dealing and credit-card fraud. It was one of the largest mob crackdowns in recent memory.

The extortion in the construction industry -- described mostly in the indictment by an informant who paid off the mob on jobs for his trucking, cement and excavation businesses -- prove that organized crime's ties to construction are as strong as ever, observers say.

"It's still a major problem in the construction industry," said Randy Mastro, a former federal prosecutor who also targeted mob ties to construction as a deputy mayor with Rudy Giuliani. "It's like rat infestation in the city. ... Somehow they reproduce and come back."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Staten Island | Mob | Gambino | Nascar | Schiavone | NYC | Michael King | Indictment | Jin Lee
The indictment also raises questions about the integrity of several high-profile projects in the city, in the middle of one of its busiest building booms in decades.

One of six major construction officials indicted Thursday was Anthony Delvescovo, director of tunnel operations for Schiavone Construction Co. of Secaucus, N.J. The company has dozens of government contracts worth billions, including the extension of a subway line and a new city water tunnel. A woman who answered the phone at Schiavone said the company had no comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-09-722014903_x.htm

Shit, there is just that 1 story, in the old days the mob had its finger into every construction project that took place in the 5 boroughs, plus they controlled ALL the garbage industry............................that is all gone. Oh you will find stories of the mob trying to regenerate itself but the thing that used to be an honourable and noble tradition is now no better than the crips and bloods. The new generation has no huevos.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Shit, there is just that 1 story, in the old days the mob had its finger into every construction project that took place in the 5 boroughs, plus they controlled ALL the garbage industry............................that is all gone. Oh you will find stories of the mob trying to regenerate itself but the thing that used to be an honourable and noble tradition is now no better than the crips and bloods. The new generation has no huevos.

Here is more. If you do a search you will finds pages of links

I was unaware you knew more about the mob then then law enforcement does

Gambino-linked mob thugs build profit with taxpayers' dollars
by greg b. smith
daily news staff writer

Monday, February 11th 2008, 4:00 AM

The mob family busted in the FBI's massive crackdown is involved in millions of dollars worth of contracts on some of the biggest public and private projects in the city, a Daily News investigation reveals.

The Gambino family's tentacles reach far and wide, from the massive Manhattan water tunnel project to replacing lights across some of New York's most heavily trafficked bridges, a review of the 170 pages of charges filed against it last week shows.

The revelations in Thursday's bombshell indictments are even more shocking as they come years after officials declared the mob had been flushed from the city's construction trades.

"Anybody who says the mob is no longer involved in this industry is clueless about how this industry operates," said Toby Thacher, a corporate monitor and former inspector general for the School Construction Authority.

Thacher said although the lock the mob had on industries like concrete production and window installation in the 1970s and '80s has loosened, it's been replaced by a different disease, control of trucking firms essential to smooth operation at any construction site.

"The control of the companies that comprise this industry is no less now than it was then," Thacher said.

Take Adco Electrical of Staten Island. The firm has won $12 million in contracts for city agencies since the 1990s, including electrical maintenance of city libraries.

Most recently, Adco installed electrical systems for the Outerbridge Crossing and the Bayonne Bridge for the Port Authority. That $19 million contact rose to $23 million by 2006 due to "extra" costs, a Port Authority spokesman said.

Back in 2003, Gambino captain-turned-FBI-informer Michael (Mikey Scars) DiLeonardo told investigators Adco's then-president, Richard Addeo, was "on record" with the family's mob hierarchy. Addeo soon passed away, and his daughter Gina took over.

On Thursday, prosecutors alleged that William (Big Billy) Scotto, a Gambino captain, controls Adco and had in 2005 demanded repayment of money owed to the firm by Joseph Vollaro, owner of a firm called Andrew's Trucking.

Vollaro - a longtime associate of the Gambino family - was the central informer in the Gambino indictment. He secretly recorded the $4,000 payoff to Scotto on behalf of Adco.

Adco Vice President Michael Miglino told The News the firm knew nothing of Scotto's collection of moneys and insisted Scotto had nothing to do with Adco.

Vollaro's companies have worked on several city jobs, including a $2 million road repair subcontract and a $50,000 snow removal job.

Then there's Schiavone Construction, a New Jersey-based contractor that's working on some of the biggest projects in New York. Schiavone has a $1.3 billion deal with the city Department of Environmental Protection to help build a Bronx filtration plant and Water Tunnel No. 3, which will supply water to the city.

Prosecutors say Anthony Delvescovo, director of tunnel operations for Schiavone, extorted Vollaro for work with the company. Schiavone did not return calls seeking comment.

Even Ground Zero has not been immune.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/02/11/2008-02-11_gambinolinked_mob_thugs_build_profit_wit.html

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:10 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0377/is_n120/ai_17379694

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0377/is_n120/ai_17379694

Anything other then an article from 1995?

At least my links were from the year 2008

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Here is more. If you do a search you will finds pages of links

I was unaware you knew more about the mob then then law enforcement does

Gambino-linked mob thugs build profit with taxpayers' dollars
by greg b. smith
daily news staff writer

Monday, February 11th 2008, 4:00 AM

The mob family busted in the FBI's massive crackdown is involved in millions of dollars worth of contracts on some of the biggest public and private projects in the city, a Daily News investigation reveals.

The Gambino family's tentacles reach far and wide, from the massive Manhattan water tunnel project to replacing lights across some of New York's most heavily trafficked bridges, a review of the 170 pages of charges filed against it last week shows.

The revelations in Thursday's bombshell indictments are even more shocking as they come years after officials declared the mob had been flushed from the city's construction trades.

"Anybody who says the mob is no longer involved in this industry is clueless about how this industry operates," said Toby Thacher, a corporate monitor and former inspector general for the School Construction Authority.

Thacher said although the lock the mob had on industries like concrete production and window installation in the 1970s and '80s has loosened, it's been replaced by a different disease, control of trucking firms essential to smooth operation at any construction site.

"The control of the companies that comprise this industry is no less now than it was then," Thacher said.

Take Adco Electrical of Staten Island. The firm has won $12 million in contracts for city agencies since the 1990s, including electrical maintenance of city libraries.

Most recently, Adco installed electrical systems for the Outerbridge Crossing and the Bayonne Bridge for the Port Authority. That $19 million contact rose to $23 million by 2006 due to "extra" costs, a Port Authority spokesman said.

Back in 2003, Gambino captain-turned-FBI-informer Michael (Mikey Scars) DiLeonardo told investigators Adco's then-president, Richard Addeo, was "on record" with the family's mob hierarchy. Addeo soon passed away, and his daughter Gina took over.

On Thursday, prosecutors alleged that William (Big Billy) Scotto, a Gambino captain, controls Adco and had in 2005 demanded repayment of money owed to the firm by Joseph Vollaro, owner of a firm called Andrew's Trucking.

Vollaro - a longtime associate of the Gambino family - was the central informer in the Gambino indictment. He secretly recorded the $4,000 payoff to Scotto on behalf of Adco.

Adco Vice President Michael Miglino told The News the firm knew nothing of Scotto's collection of moneys and insisted Scotto had nothing to do with Adco.

Vollaro's companies have worked on several city jobs, including a $2 million road repair subcontract and a $50,000 snow removal job.

Then there's Schiavone Construction, a New Jersey-based contractor that's working on some of the biggest projects in New York. Schiavone has a $1.3 billion deal with the city Department of Environmental Protection to help build a Bronx filtration plant and Water Tunnel No. 3, which will supply water to the city.

Prosecutors say Anthony Delvescovo, director of tunnel operations for Schiavone, extorted Vollaro for work with the company. Schiavone did not return calls seeking comment.

Even Ground Zero has not been immune.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/02/11/2008-02-11_gambinolinked_mob_thugs_build_profit_wit.html

ROTFLMFAO! :laugh2:

You don't even know the difference of new vs old. Old would never get caught like this, new saw the Sopranos and thought it was cool but got caught first time out.

They are pinching guys who can't tie their own shoes.

LMFAO!

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
ROTFLMFAO! :laugh2:

You don't even know the difference of new vs old. Old would never get caught like this, new saw the Sopranos and thought it was cool but got caught first time out.

They are pinching guys who can't tie their own shoes.

LMFAO!

Again, my links are at least from this year

Accused Mafia leaders arrested in sweeps in U.S. and Sicily
By William K. Rashbaum Published: February 8, 2008

One crime stretched back to the 1976 killing of a court officer ambushed outside his home in the early morning hours to prevent him from testifying against a member of the mob.

Another took place just two years ago, an extortion scheme in which crime figures plotted how to siphon money from the planned Nascar racetrack in New York. And over a range of years there were a number of thefts from the benefit funds of several construction unions.

These crimes, and scores of others, were outlined in state and federal indictments unsealed on Thursday that charged 87 people and represented a government move against the entire upper echelon of the Gambino crime family. Beginning with sharp early morning knocks on doors around the New York City area, the case formed the basis for a roundup that authorities called the biggest such sweep in memory.

The charges took aim not only the family's leadership but a cadre of middle managers and scores of lower level figures in the Gambino clan and others in the Bonanno and Genovese families. Also charged were several union and construction industry officials.

And if it was not the most debilitating blow ever struck against the mob, it left no doubt that organized crime, often declared as diminished or on the decline, remains a formidable force in the New York area.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/08/america/08mob.php

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Anything other then an article from 1995?

At least my links were from the year 2008

Your naivete on this subject is astounding, after Paul Castellano was whacked and the douchebag John Gotti took over and took not only the Gambinos down but everyone else: Genovese, Colombo, Bonnano and Luchese, the mob ceased to be anything but a bunch of bumbling dumbasses, anything after Gotti's arrest is a waste of time.

But keep on with this new shit, I love reading about retards.

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Again, my links are at least from this year

Accused Mafia leaders arrested in sweeps in U.S. and Sicily
By William K. Rashbaum Published: February 8, 2008

One crime stretched back to the 1976 killing of a court officer ambushed outside his home in the early morning hours to prevent him from testifying against a member of the mob.

Another took place just two years ago, an extortion scheme in which crime figures plotted how to siphon money from the planned Nascar racetrack in New York. And over a range of years there were a number of thefts from the benefit funds of several construction unions.

These crimes, and scores of others, were outlined in state and federal indictments unsealed on Thursday that charged 87 people and represented a government move against the entire upper echelon of the Gambino crime family. Beginning with sharp early morning knocks on doors around the New York City area, the case formed the basis for a roundup that authorities called the biggest such sweep in memory.

The charges took aim not only the family's leadership but a cadre of middle managers and scores of lower level figures in the Gambino clan and others in the Bonanno and Genovese families. Also charged were several union and construction industry officials.

And if it was not the most debilitating blow ever struck against the mob, it left no doubt that organized crime, often declared as diminished or on the decline, remains a formidable force in the New York area.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/08/america/08mob.php

ROTFLMFAO!:laugh2::laugh2:

Can't you get it through your head? The mob as an effective moneymaking organization has been dead for almost twenty years.

Hey you can start something up and call yourself the Gambinos too, to illustrate a point.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Your naivete on this subject is astounding, after Paul Castellano was whacked and the douchebag John Gotti took over and took not only the Gambinos down but everyone else: Genovese, Colombo, Bonnano and Luchese, the mob ceased to be anything but a bunch of bumbling dumbasses, anything after Gotti's arrest is a waste of time.

But keep on with this new shit, I love reading about retards.

OCA, you are a such an ass. You bellow how the mob is dead, you post a 13 year old article - while I post recent links on the mobs ties al over the state of NY, and show how the Feds are still making sweeps and arresting them

You go on guffing and puffing if it makes you feel good

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
OCA, you are a such an ass. You bellow how the mob is dead, you post a 13 year old article - while I post recent links on the mobs ties al over the state of NY, and show how the Feds are still making sweeps and arresting them

You go on guffing and puffing if it makes you feel good

ROTFLMFAO!

Maybe Pale's board is more in your league, go brush up there and come back when you are ready.

Actually the article was from Sept.12, 2006.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/08/26/news/doc46d0c59829e5d803610337.txt

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/10870/

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
ROTFLMFAO!

Maybe Pale's board is more in your league, go brush up there and come back when you are ready.

Actually the article was from Sept.12, 2006.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/08/26/news/doc46d0c59829e5d803610337.txt

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/10870/

So now you are up to 2 year old articles. Good for you

Maybe you should call the Feds and tell them to stop wasting so much time and money on a problem you say does not exist

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM
So now you are up to 2 year old articles. Good for you

Maybe you should call the Feds and tell them to stop wasting so much time and money on a problem you say does not exist

Up to? I started there kid.

It don't matter, Mob is dead for twenty years now, last I heard they had like less than 10 feds in NYC assigned to OC, everyone was moved to anti-terrorism. Sounds like its a huge problem lol.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Up to? I started there kid.

It don't matter, Mob is dead for twenty years now, last I heard they had like less than 10 feds in NYC assigned to OC, everyone was moved to anti-terrorism. Sounds like its a huge problem lol.

Your first link was from 1995

The decline of the American Mafia
Public Interest, Summer, 1995 by Peter Reuter

Admit defeat and move on

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Your first link was from 1995

The decline of the American Mafia
Public Interest, Summer, 1995 by Peter Reuter

Admit defeat and move on

By God it was! But it was relevant as fuck to Aug.1, 2008.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
By God it was! But it was relevant as fuck to Aug.1, 2008.

So 13 year old info is as relevant as 6 month old info

Got it :laugh2:

Thanks

OCA
08-01-2008, 03:55 PM
So 13 year old info is as relevant as 6 month old info

Got it :laugh2:

Thanks

Well it does if the 6 month old came from someone who does not know what was behind the info. in the article..........................such as yourself.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Well it does if the 6 month old came from someone who does not know what was behind the info. in the article..........................such as yourself.

You do hate to be proven worng don't you? Then you try to dismiss the articles showing the wide net of corruption in the NY construction industry, and mafia ties - a mafia you said was all but dead :laugh2:

OCA
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
You do hate to be proven worng don't you? Then you try to dismiss the articles showing the wide net of corruption in the NY construction industry, and mafia ties - a mafia you said was all but dead :laugh2:

And you hanging your hopes on mafia wannabes is funny as hell. The mafia died with Paul Castellano, John Gotti buried it.

Why don't you stick to cluttering up the board calling MFM gay, its about all you got left.

I'm too big of a matchup for you.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
And you hanging your hopes on mafia wannabes is funny as hell. The mafia died with Paul Castellano, John Gotti buried it.

Why don't you stick to cluttering up the board calling MFM gay, its about all you got left.

I'm too big of a matchup for you.

You are a legend in your own mind. Be a man and admit you were wrong. The mob is alive and well and has its claws in the unions

crin63
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM

It should be companies right to fire everyone of them if they unionize. I would.

I have been a union member for 25 years. I worked in the building trades. It was the only place an uneducated sole provider of a family of 5 could make a decent living with insurance due to race based preferences.

Let me clear a couple things up from my perspective. It is the UAW that has driven automotive manufacturers to the brink of bankruptcy. I watched as most of the UAW night shift at the GM plant in Van Nuys, CA slept through the night so they could work their day jobs. They would breakdown equipment on purpose so they could all go home early with full pay. Then the maintenance dept. would make the repairs as slowly as possible. They tried to kill the guys fixing the equipment so it wouldn't breakdown so easily. I saw it with my own eyes. In 15 years they had never dropped a drivetrain until then

The building trades are completely different from unions like the UAW. Those guys have to bust their butts to keep their jobs in most cases. They can be terminated simply because the employer doesn't like the length of their hair. They work at a professional level for the most part as well.

OCA
08-01-2008, 04:06 PM
You are a legend in your own mind. Be a man and admit you were wrong. The mob is alive and well and has its claws in the unions

Read up on the mob, compare the heyday to now....................then come back and apologize.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Read up on the mob, compare the heyday to now....................then come back and apologize.

I will

And I will make sure they are not 13 year old articles :laugh2:

DragonStryk72
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Immie

As a current Wal-Mart employee, nope. There's no real need to have a union at Wal-Mart, the open door policy means that no employee has to unionize. Why? Because you can simply go to the Store Manager, ask to use the Open Door, and talk with him personally, he's required to see you. It's a part of his job, and if he doesn't take care of the problem, then guess what? You can simply take it directly up the chain, you don't need form, you simply need the ability to go, "Hey, I need some Open Door time."

Unions are vastly overused these days, I think. I mean, yeah, if we had wide spread labor violations, or racism and sexism, then yeah, I could see the need, but that hasn't been the case in a long time. The only thing a union can really do is argue for you, which sounds all well and good, but you can do that yourself just fine, and will likely get as far as if you had gone through normal channels, you just pay them for the privilege, as does the company.

DragonStryk72
08-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Yeah, except that it was wrong. Try watching Bullshit! with Penn & Teller, and look at Wal-Mart again. the average Wal-Mart wage is $10.60 an hour, with most people getting full time, as long as they want it, and the availability for it. there's Profit Share, there's Employee Stock Purchase, Full benefits, a TRUE Open Door policy, Management training programs, easy to access cross-training, regular raises, an extra $1 an hour on Sundays, plus Shift differential, as well as tuition re-imbursment.

The pay scales are locked, so you know exactly how much you'll get starting based on dept. (This is many based upon skill requirements for the jobs, so that Truck Unloaders are actually pretty high up on the pay scale), all your raises travel with you to any Wal-Mart in the world, and most of Wal-Mart's Managers are hired from within (My store manager started as a part-time cashier). What more do you expect out of them, MSM (I know people are dying to take a poke at him, but I ask you to hold off on it, please. I want to hear his answer.)

retiredman
08-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, except that it was wrong.

please document those parts of the documentary that I quoted that were "wrong".

Kathianne
08-02-2008, 12:01 AM
An interesting, related piece:

http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/08/car_talk_1.php

Car talk

01 Aug 2008 12:21 pm
GM has declared a stunning loss--over $15 billion dollars. Their cash position has fallen by about 10% since last year. That cash cushion used to comfort analysts, the notion being that GM had the reserves to ride out a long rough spell. Now liquidity fears are firming up. I'd put the probability of a GM bankruptcy in the next 10 years at 50%.

The company is scrambling to retool for small cars, and I'm sure we'll hear a loud chorus of voices saying that GM did this to themselves by becoming so dependent on light trucks. Well, they did, but I'm not sure it's fair to blame management. GM's historical pension and healthcare obligations, and the vast difficulties they have in permanently laying off workers, mean that the company had to maximize cash flow as best they could. Indeed, I find it interesting that I spent so many years listening to europhile economists assure me that the Germans were going to kick our ass because their cooperative management style, with labor having a seat on the board, allowed them to engage in long-term planning. The industries in America where labor has the most power are the ones that have the hardest time making strategic choices to lower profits now in order to raise them in the future.