PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi Calls Police To Clear House Chamber

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
This is to much folks. San Fran Nan is taking lessons from Castro and Chavez

Dems turn out the lights but GOP won't go home Part II

Here are the latest updates on the continuing GOP protest on the House floor:

The House adjourned about three hours ago, but GOP lawmakers, outraged that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats went home for five weeks without allowing a vote on offshore drilling, have refused to leave the floor. Even though C-Span can't show you what's going on (C-Span is prevented from showing what's happening on the floor when the House is out of session), Republicans are holding an unprecedented session on the House floor. They have brought in dozens of their members, who are walking up and down the aisles making speeches. They have packed the floors and galleries with staffers. When Capitol Police tried to remove reporters from the gallery, Republicans stopped it from happening. The crowd has repeatedly broken out in chants of "Vote, vote, vote!" There's several dozen Cub Scouts sitting on the House floor in seats normally occupied by members.

Update - A GOP staffer just informed me that post-adjournment protests by the minority party are not unprecedented. The Democrats did it back in 1995, when the Republicans were in control. Democrats placed a big photo of then-Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) wearing a diaper in the Speaker's chair. Republicans note they are being more respectful this time.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), who was on a place headed home, headed back to the Capitol, walking onto the floor dragging his luggage. He got a standing ovation.

Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) called it a "new Boston Tea Party!"

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) said he was "not leaving until we call this Congress back into session and vote for energy independence."

Rep. Tom Cole (Okla.), chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said the dimly lit chamber is a "vision of the future by the Democrat Party - the lights are out, there's no power, and the air conditioning is gonna go off soon."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/Dems_turn_out_the_light_but_GOP_wont_go_home_Part_ II.html

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
This is San Fran Nans version of the House Fairness Doctrine

Joe Steel
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Despicable.

Republicons have no respect for American traditions.

red states rule
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Despicable.

Republicons have no respect for the American traditions.

Yet when Dems did the same thing years ago - that was fine with you

More liberal arrogance on display for the world to see

DragonStryk72
08-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Despicable.

Slacking off of major national concerns to go vacay? Yeah, you know, not helping yourself there.

Also, the Dems did this as well, in 95, and they were pissy about it, so what's that say about them?

DragonStryk72
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
This is to much folks. San Fran Nan is taking lessons from Castro and Chavez

Dems turn out the lights but GOP won't go home Part II

Here are the latest updates on the continuing GOP protest on the House floor:

The House adjourned about three hours ago, but GOP lawmakers, outraged that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats went home for five weeks without allowing a vote on offshore drilling, have refused to leave the floor. Even though C-Span can't show you what's going on (C-Span is prevented from showing what's happening on the floor when the House is out of session), Republicans are holding an unprecedented session on the House floor. They have brought in dozens of their members, who are walking up and down the aisles making speeches. They have packed the floors and galleries with staffers. When Capitol Police tried to remove reporters from the gallery, Republicans stopped it from happening. The crowd has repeatedly broken out in chants of "Vote, vote, vote!" There's several dozen Cub Scouts sitting on the House floor in seats normally occupied by members.

Update - A GOP staffer just informed me that post-adjournment protests by the minority party are not unprecedented. The Democrats did it back in 1995, when the Republicans were in control. Democrats placed a big photo of then-Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) wearing a diaper in the Speaker's chair. Republicans note they are being more respectful this time.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), who was on a place headed home, headed back to the Capitol, walking onto the floor dragging his luggage. He got a standing ovation.

Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) called it a "new Boston Tea Party!"

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) said he was "not leaving until we call this Congress back into session and vote for energy independence."

Rep. Tom Cole (Okla.), chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said the dimly lit chamber is a "vision of the future by the Democrat Party - the lights are out, there's no power, and the air conditioning is gonna go off soon."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/Dems_turn_out_the_light_but_GOP_wont_go_home_Part_ II.html

OMG, though, signs of life from the Reps. Big points for that, especially the Texan. I mean, damn, going through Airport Security, what, 4 times?

SpidermanTUba
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
A majority of both houses have to agree to have final adjournment of a session. This is part of a process known as "democracy".

I don't see how that's anything like Castro. Its democratic. Castro isn't. Nancy Pelosi can't unilaterally shut down the House for final adjournment, and you're implying that she can, which makes you either ignorant or a liar.

I think you're just sore you're in the minority now. Get used to it.

The Democrats did it back in 1995, when the Republicans were in control. Democrats placed a big photo of then-Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) wearing a diaper in the Speaker's chair. Republicans note they are being more respectful this time.

The Republicans didn't put anyone in a chair with diapers because most of them get their hookers or gay lovers to dress them up in diapers and it hit a little too close to home.

08-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Despicable.

Funny. Haven't you guys been yelling for years that dissent is patriotic and an American tradition?

Kathianne
08-02-2008, 03:09 AM
It appears that the republicans are getting it right, whether or not in time? *Shrug*

red states rule
08-02-2008, 06:03 AM
It appears that the republicans are getting it right, whether or not in time? *Shrug*

It is refreshing to se the Republicans stand tall for a change

The main point is, all the Republicans wanted was an up or down vote on off shore drilling

Pelosi refused to allow the vote. Seems she did not have the votes to defeat it - so she screwed over the folks at the pump and went on vacation

Joe Steel
08-02-2008, 07:08 AM
The American People don't want more drilling but the Republicons just can't accept it. They're loyal to their Big Oil masters.

That's despicable.

A significant majority of Americans (63%) said that the President's proposal to open up public lands to oil and gas drilling is "more likely to enrich oil companies than to lower gas prices for American consumers." A substantial majority (66%) said that "the small percentage of public lands still protected from oil drilling should remain off limits because they are valuable natural resources that cannot be replaced."

Americans Don't Believe Bush, Industry Claims on Gas Prices, Poll Shows (http://www.wilderness.org/NewsRoom/Release/20080724.cfm)

red states rule
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
The American People don't want more drilling but the Republicons just can't accept it. They're loyal to their Big Oil masters.

That's despicable.

Hey, you messiah did a flip flop on off shore drilling. He saw polls where more then 70% of the people WANT drilling

Get with the program and get updated talking points :lol:

Joe Steel
08-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey, you messiah did a flip flop on off shore drilling. He saw polls where more then 70% of the people WANT drilling

Get with the program and get updated talking points :lol:

You should read the article again. Obama is playing the Republicons.

Give a little, get a lot.

red states rule
08-02-2008, 07:24 AM
You should read the article again. Obama is playing the Republicons.

Give a little, get a lot.

Oh he "refined" another position again? :laugh2:

jimnyc
08-02-2008, 07:31 AM
A majority of both houses have to agree to have final adjournment of a session. This is part of a process known as "democracy".

Correct, a simple majority.

211 Dems voted to adjourn while 15 voted no
2 Republicans voted to adjourn while 182 voted no

So yes, the Dems can easily call an adjournment to the House regardless the Republicans wishes.

Psychoblues
08-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks, jimnyc. I avoided this thread until I saw your name pop up.

Correct, a simple majority.

211 Dems voted to adjourn while 15 voted no
2 Republicans voted to adjourn while 182 voted no

So yes, the Dems can easily call an adjournment to the House regardless the Republicans wishes.

Can I buy you a Bud Light?

Hit it, Maybell Carter, Keep On The Sunny Side, Always On The Sunny Side: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Hit it, Maybell Carter, Keep On The Sunny Side, Always On The Sunny Side: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

The nerve of the Republicans, wanting a simple up and down vote on off shore drilling

Now maybe San Fran Nan will grant the vote now that the messiah is for off shore drilling

Psychoblues
08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
You don't understand how the House works, do you, rsr?

red states rule
08-02-2008, 07:48 AM

I uinderstand Pelosi was afraid to allow a vote on the bill because Dems would have voted for it

Perhaps San Fran Nan should have done the same thing some Americans have done

Cancel her vacation. She could save some gas, and do her job at the same time

jimnyc
08-02-2008, 07:48 AM

Wassup, Mr. Blue!!

A bit too early for me to be boozing, but you can pass the ganja or pills my way! :coffee:

Psychoblues
08-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey man!!!!!!! I'm just jammin' with some old friends!!!!! Hell, most of them have been in bed for hours but I'm not done imbibing the Busch thing yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I know, I really know!!!!!!! It's a habit I need to break!!!!!!!

Wassup, Mr. Blue!!

A bit too early for me to be boozing, but you can pass the ganja or pills my way! :coffee:

Man, I don't do the stims, but you know if I did you would be more than welcome!!!!!!! You didn't have to tell me the other day that I couldn't have your Bud Light!!!!!! Man, that kinda hurt my feelings!!!!!! On the other hand, I wouldn't have took it even if you said I could have it,,,,,,,,,,,,unless my Busch cooler was bone damned dry!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a another cold beer in this gawdforsaken dump?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Hit it, Ray Price, I've Got Heartaches By The Number: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

BTW, G'mornin' to ya, jimnyc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostmodernProphet
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM

we understand it DOESN'T work.....

mundame
08-04-2008, 02:50 AM

Pretty cute line. :rolleyes:

red states rule
08-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Pretty cute line. :rolleyes:

It tells you how the Dem leadership is screwing over the voters when they go off on vacation, they do not finish thier duties, and try to shut down the minority from doing their job

mundame
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM

we understand it DOESN'T work.....

Too true, too true. Doesn't work for us, anyway. I guess it works for the people we pay to go there and loot the treasury.

red states rule
08-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Too true, too true. Doesn't work for us, anyway. I guess it works for the people we pay to go there and loot the treasury.

Dems are screwing over the folks for politcal reasons, and people like PB and MFM do not have a prblem with it as long as the Dems get more power

We are mere stepping stones to them

glockmail
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I was up in the mountains last week and didn't hear about this until I turned on Mark Levin on sat-radio on the way home last night. "Huzzah!" to the patriots who are fighting for our independence!

red states rule
08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
GOP Oil Revolt to Resume Monday, Will Media Care?
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
August 3, 2008 - 14:46 ET

As reported Saturday, the Republican oil revolt in the House last week didn't get a lot of media attention despite America's angst over rising energy prices.

NewsBusters has just learned Republicans will resume their demonstration Monday even though the summer recess has officially started.

Will such a bold move garner more press attention as the revolt moves into the second inning?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/08/03/gop-oil-revolt-resume-monday-will-media-care

glockmail
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
.....Will such a bold move garner more press attention as the revolt moves into the second inning?
I didn't see anything about this on the broadcast networks while I was on vacation, so there's your answer.

red states rule
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I didn't see anything about this on the broadcast networks while I was on vacation, so there's your answer.

Yet libs want the fairness doctrine brought back

KitchenKitten99
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
C-Span After-speeches. These all sound great, except the guy from Michigan looks like he's reading a cue card.

Part 1
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAfbREnov0U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAfbREnov0U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ollNzJS1Zv4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ollNzJS1Zv4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>