PDA

View Full Version : The Media Really Doesn't Get That They Are The Flock

Kathianne
08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Has there been such a love affair with a candidate before? I can't think of a time:

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2008/08/so-in-the-tank.html

August 02, 2008
So In The Tank They Don't Know They Are In The Tank

Michael Powell of the Times probably does not even realize how laughably tilted his first two paragraphs are in his story about Obama and race.

Senator Barack Obama is a man of few rhetorical stumbles, but this week a few of his words opened a racial door his campaign would prefer not to step through. When Senator John McCain’s camp replied by accusing him of playing the race card from the bottom of the deck, the Obama campaign seemed at least momentarily off balance.

The instinctive urge to punch back was tempered by the fact that race is a fire that could singe both candidates. So on Friday the Obama campaign, a carefully controlled lot on the best of days, reacted most cautiously as it sought to tamp down any sense that it was at war with Mr. McCain over who was the first to inject race into the contest.

Let's see - Barack "57 States" Obama is a man of few rhetorical stumbles? That would probably appear to be true if we relied on the Paper of Record to record his many gaffes. But ABC, the Chicago Sun Times, and Michelle Malkin present an alternative reality (although none mention Jerusalem as an undivided city, or not....

http://www.extrememortman.com/washington-post/the-one-der-of-it-all/

The One-Der Of It All

August 2, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Last Friday, a huge blow-up of this picture ran on the front-page of the Washington Post.
Obama Washington Post AP Berlin

Click here to see it in all its PDF glory.Anything unique about that?

Actually, not really.

So says the Post ombudsman:

Barack Obama may be only eight points ahead of John McCain in the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, but he’s creaming McCain in the number of pictures and stories published in The Post in the past two months.

What we found: 122 photos of Obama have been published in the paper during that time to 78 for McCain, counting tiny to big. Most of those photos ran inside the paper; most on the politics page. The Page 1 photos are closer: Obama had nine to McCain’s seven. Five of Obama’s were above the fold; McCain had four. Obama also got more color photos, 72 to 49, and more large photos — mostly those that spanned three or more columns, 30 to 10.

McCain was behind before Obama went to the Middle East and Europe. But during his trip, Obama shellacked McCain on photos. July 25 was the topper — five photos from Obama’s Berlin visit. To begin with, a photo of Obama before a humongous crowd dominated Page 1 — a stunning photo worth the size.

You get the picture, as it were.

From the Chicago Tribune's political blog:
http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/07/obama_at_unity_convention_in_c.html

...At UNITY, the applause was restrained, after organizers reminded conference participants that the appearance was being nationally broadcast and they should make every effort to maintain "professional decorum."

Still, Obama received a standing ovation from many in the audience at the start and end of his appearance. There was also a rush toward the stage after his speech, as Obama shook hands and signed autographs.

One journalist was also overheard wishing him luck, while another squealed, "He touched me!" as she left the ballroom.

Before Obama arrived, a panel discussed the question of journalistic objectivity, including whether journalists should clap for politicians when they appear.

"The mainstream media loves John McCain. They cheer for him all the time. And now we're going to tell our black journalists, our Hispanic journalists, that they can't clap for Obama?" African-American columnist Les Payne responded.

-- National correspondent Bay Fang contributed from Chicago....

PostmodernProphet
08-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Has there been such a love affair with a candidate before? I can't think of a time:

I don't think it's that far removed from what we saw during the Clinton presidency.....I can recall when bad news would come out about Clinton and the anchors would laugh and say "I wonder how they will spin this for us today" and then they would spend more time talking about how Clinton was turning it into good news than they would about how bad it was......

08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Makes you wonder how oblivious the people that are supposed to give us news really are.

Kathianne
08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think it's that far removed from what we saw during the Clinton presidency.....I can recall when bad news would come out about Clinton and the anchors would laugh and say "I wonder how they will spin this for us today" and then they would spend more time talking about how Clinton was turning it into good news than they would about how bad it was......

Clinton came to mind, difference was there were media outlets that did report on what happened or at least on who was reporting news. I can't see a 'Drudge' coming to be over Obama coverage. If he's elected, perhaps it will change.

I do know Bill and Hillary needed to appear together prior to election, to show unity amidst the rumors.

stephanie
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't watch or read the lamstream media about the Obambam without wanting to puke..it is so pathetic