PDA

View Full Version : AP Goes Back 2 Years To Pull Heartstrings

Kathianne
08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Truly bizarre:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/the_long_haul_ii

Part II: Welcome to Iraq, and a long separation

By SHARON COHEN, AP National Writer2 hours, 54 minutes ago

The phone call surprised Katie Kriesel, so soon after her husband, John, shipped out.

"Where are you?" she asked.

"I am where I need to be," he answered cryptically, not wanting to disclose his exact location in Iraq. He probably would have waited to call home to Minnesota, but April 8, 2006, was special — it was Katie's 26th birthday.

Kriesel was at Camp Fallujah, just east of the city where U.S. contractors had been hanged from a bridge, where Marines had battled insurgents in some of the bloodiest battles of the war.

Soon after his arrival, Kriesel saw a tent near his living quarters that had been hit by enemy mortar fire, twisting the metal support beams and shredding the canvas.

Welcome to Iraq.

But Kriesel wanted to be in thick of the action, not sitting in a tower or standing guard in a mess hall. He'd always been gung-ho; even as a kid he had watched the Gulf War on TV and proclaimed: "If I can get paid to do that, then I'm in."

Kriesel had trouble sleeping his first night in Iraq. His gear hadn't arrived, the air conditioning in his tent was going full blast and he had no blankets.

Some guys, he noticed, were sleeping in their body armor. He used his as a pillow. If a mortar lands here, he thought, it won't matter if I'm wearing chain mail. I'm a goner.

As he settled into the soldier's life, Katie established a routine in Minnesota.

She dropped off their sons, Elijah, almost 5, and Broden, 3, at day care in the morning, headed to work at a freight-forwarding company, then picked up the boys. Every evening it was dinner, baths, then time to check the computer for messages from Dad or await his call. Some days there was special mail — "Operation Iraqi Freedom" T-shirts or coins that Elijah brought to show-and-tell.

Like so many other families with soldiers in Iraq, the Kriesels lived in a wired world: They often communicated by phone or e-mail — John had his laptop computer with him.

But reminders of those at war came home in less comforting ways, too. One day, Elijah, waiting in a gym for Katie, saw a TV news story about a soldier who died in Iraq.

"Is Dad going to die?" he asked his mother.

No, she assured him — that's why the family prayed every night to keep Dad safe.

By spring 2006, however, the war was entering its fourth year, more than 2,000 U.S. troops were dead, and it was clear no place in Iraq was secure....