PDA

View Full Version : White House Briefed On Potential For Mars Life

Psychoblues
08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Do you think anyone is listening? Life in outer space?!??!?!?!?!??! Scary?!??!?!?!??!

Source: Aviation Week & Space Technology via Mars Today

The White House has been alerted by NASA about plans to make an announcement soon on major new Phoenix lander discoveries concerning the "potential for life" on Mars, scientists tell Aviation Week & Space Technology.

Sources say the new data do not indicate the discovery of existing or past life on Mars. Rather the data relate to habitability--the "potential" for Mars to support life--at the Phoenix arctic landing site, sources say.

The data are much more complex than results related NASA's July 31 announcement that Phoenix has confirmed the presence of water ice at the site.

International news media trumpeted the water ice confirmation, which was not a surprise to any of the Phoenix researchers. "They have discovered water on Mars for the third or fourth time," one senior Mars scientists joked about the hubbub around the water ice announcement.

The other data not discussed openly yet are far more "provocative," Phoenix officials say.

In fact, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory science team for the MECA wet-chemistry instrument that made the findings was kept out of a July 31 news conference at the University of Arizona Phoenix control center. The goal was to prevent them from being asked any questions that could reveal information before NASA is ready to make an announcement, sources say............

More: http://www.marstoday.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1297

I wonder what color they are? Are they gendered, hermorphrodetic? Do they have any sisters?!?!??!??!??!??!

1,2,3,4 Outer Space Rock: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Noir
08-03-2008, 08:35 PM
The thing i find annoying about all of this is the knowledge that one day i will prob turn on the news and read 'life found on mars!' and that life is...microscopic bacteria...erm...wow...so what's for breakfast?

Psychoblues
08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
So, you don't believe that the discovery of life, any life, on other planets or in outer space should somehow be remarkable?

The thing i find annoying about all of this is the knowledge that one day i will prob turn on the news and read 'life found on mars!' and that life is...microscopic bacteria...erm...wow...so what's for breakfast?

Interesting...............

Noir
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I just don't see how it will benefit us to know that bacteria can grow on mars...

manu1959
08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I just don't see how it will benefit us to know that bacteria can grow on mars...

maybe it is the bacteria that cures cancer.....

Noir
08-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Ofcourse how stupid of me.

Dilloduck
08-03-2008, 09:34 PM

or the one that destroyed every other life form on Mars. :laugh2:

Psychoblues
08-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Holy shit, dildo!!!!!!! I hope the decision to bring it or leave it won't be left up to an incomprehensive idiot in chief such as the one presently being briefed about it!!!!!

or the one that destroyed every other life form on Mars. :laugh2:

Now, this IS getting scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mundame
08-04-2008, 02:46 AM

No.

War of the Worlds Tripods, that would be interesting.

Bacteria? Well, they grow on Earth in some quantity, so we already KNOW bacteria are possible.

In fact, we already know many large and bizarre life forms are possible: we can look around and see them. So it would not be remarkable if they were found elsewhere than on Earth, and indeed speculating about the forms they might take and the behaviors they might emit are the subject matter of a major literary category.

I agree that bacteria on Mars would be a yawner. If they had the sort of creatures Heinlein wrote about in "Red Planet" or "Stranger in a Strange Land" (same creatures, both books), THAT would be interesting!

Psychoblues
08-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Exactly, mundame. But how are the religions and psuedo scientifics supposed to handle that type of information?

No.

War of the Worlds Tripods, that would be interesting.

Bacteria? Well, they grow on Earth in some quantity, so we already KNOW bacteria are possible.

In fact, we already know many large and bizarre life forms are possible: we can look around and see them. So it would not be remarkable if they were found elsewhere than on Earth, and indeed speculating about the forms they might take and the behaviors they might emit are the subject matter of a major literary category.

I agree that bacteria on Mars would be a yawner. If they had the sort of creatures Heinlein wrote about in "Red Planet" or "Stranger in a Strange Land" (same creatures, both books), THAT would be interesting!

Perhaps they would have to say that mankind influenced global warming is a fact as well?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

That would be just, just terrible for them, wouldn't it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

PostmodernProphet
08-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Perhaps they would have to say that mankind influenced global warming is a fact as well?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

that's a stretch...do the cars that we've seen driving around Mars produce the same type of greenhouse gases that ours do?.....

Psychoblues
08-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Silly Goose!!!!!!!

that's a stretch...do the cars that we've seen driving around Mars produce the same type of greenhouse gases that ours do?.....

How many cars have you heard about driving around on Mars? Maybe their technology defeated that propensity for greenhouse gas millions of years ago!!!! Maybe it didn't?!?!?!?!?!?!? Please share with us your enormous knowledge of life on Mars, PmP?!?!!?!?!?!?!??! I wait with baited breath!!!!!!!

PostmodernProphet
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
How many cars have you heard about driving around on Mars? Maybe their technology defeated that propensity for greenhouse gas millions of years ago!!!! Maybe it didn't?!?!?!?!?!?!? Please share with us your enormous knowledge of life on Mars, PmP?!?!!?!?!?!?!??! I wait with baited breath!!!!!!!

none....but then, I wasn't the one who commented that finding life on Mars would make it difficult to deny manmade global warming, was I.....perhaps you could explain how bacteria could have induced "man-made" global warming in the first place.....

Psychoblues
08-04-2008, 08:35 AM
WTF?!?!?!?!?!??!

none....but then, I wasn't the one who commented that finding life on Mars would make it difficult to deny manmade global warming, was I.....perhaps you could explain how bacteria could have induced "man-made" global warming in the first place.....

What are you smokin', PmP? Whatever it is I don't want any of it!!!!!!

red states rule
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Next libs will scream how Pres Bush killed the Martians and stole their oil and water

mundame
08-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Exactly, mundame. But how are the religions and psuedo scientifics supposed to handle that type of information?

What kind of information?? As far as I know, not even bacteria have been found on Mars, let alone Willis the Bouncer and the Martian "share water" ceremony of Heinlein's Red Planet. So it is premature to worry about how religion will handle a large and impressive reality from outer space...........

Though I think I can hear the ghost of Galileo whispering, "Badly."

If there are bacteria on Mars religious people would have to say people are heating up the earth? I do not follow this reasoning; 1) Mars is cold, probably too cold to support life, and 2) "mankind-influenced global warming" is like our alleged "recession," only speculation and hope of world-changing disaster without any proof that it exists at all!

Probably because people are bored, I am guessing. If there is a great whacking war or epidemic, people won't be bored and will stop carrying on about "global warming" and it will disappear.

That would be just, just terrible for them, wouldn't it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Certainly it would be terrible to claim as real something there is no evidence for, and to predict confidently future disasters that fit their agenda, yes.

Psychoblues
08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Uhhhhhh,,,,,,That is top secret, rsr.

Next libs will scream how Pres Bush killed the Martians and stole their oil and water

Just where did you get that information? Talk now, talk later. Either way you will talk. Dig it?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

red states rule
08-04-2008, 09:07 AM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/political-pictures-iowa-flooding-bush-fault.jpg