PDA

View Full Version : 300

LiberalNation
03-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Thinking of going to see it tonight. Anyone have yet, was it good. The previews looked good.

dan
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
It looks good. I won't be able to get in free until next week, so I'm seeing it then.

-Cp
03-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I hear it's a great film - but libs won't be able to relate to it because it's a (true) story about 300 people who rose to the occasion to fight for their freedoms against an army of 1 million....

Libs can't relate cause they just want to surrender like the French...

stephanie
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I hear it's a great film - but libs won't be able to relate to it because it's a (true) story about 300 people who rose to the occasion to fight for their freedoms against an army of 1 million....

Libs can't relate cause they just want to surrender like the French...

You should hear how their talking about this movie on the liberal websites...
What you said, pretty much sums it up...

:laugh2:

dan
03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
That's crazy. It's not even trying to be historically accurate at all. They're fighting monsters, for God's sake.

dan
03-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Also, I've ben reading some not-so-good reviews for this thing. Apparently, the CGI is so far over-the-top, it's hard to take any of the plot seriously at all.

manu1959
03-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Also, I've ben reading some not-so-good reviews for this thing. Apparently, the CGI is so far over-the-top, it's hard to take any of the plot seriously at all.

well it is based on a comic book interpretation of the battle..... and the plot is .... they kill each other for two hours

LiberalNation
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
It was okay, not the best movie I ever saw. Good graphics but after the 500th fight scenes it kinda got boring. But if loud blood and guts killing with some grotesque monsters thrown in is your cup of tea I'd recommend it.

I normally only like and watch horrors myself. Hannibal rising was an exception and pretty good. Saw that two weeks ago. I'd highly recommend it.

dan
03-11-2007, 12:12 AM
well it is based on a comic book interpretation of the battle..... and the plot is .... they kill each other for two hours

True dat. Do you read comics, manu? The reason I ask, I've been wanting to get into the comic Preacher, but I don't have any clue where to start.

manu1959
03-11-2007, 12:16 AM
True dat. Do you read comics, manu? The reason I ask, I've been wanting to get into the comic Preacher, but I don't have any clue where to start.

i used to but that was 30 years ago ... there is a cool comic book store near my house and now my son likes to buy and read them .... he is 8 ....so i am starting to get back into them ....

Gaffer
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
From the previews I've seen its another slap in the face for history. Since when did the persians have trolls, ogres and orcs fighting for them? Very disappointing, but what can I expect from hollywierd.

Insein
03-11-2007, 02:34 AM
The movie looks really cool. I think the monsters and stuff spawned from the myth's generated from this battle.

The significance of the this battle was enormous. This battle might have allowed the "West" to become the west as we know it today. Had Persia come in and destroyed Greece, many of the Greek cultural philosophies would not have been passed down through generations to Romans, Europeans and ultimately Americans. This battle weakened Persia's will to fight and thus saved Greece from annhilation. Definitely one of those Pivotal moments in history kind of battles.

KarlMarx
03-11-2007, 05:41 AM
The movie looks really cool. I think the monsters and stuff spawned from the myth's generated from this battle.

The significance of the this battle was enormous. This battle might have allowed the "West" to become the west as we know it today. Had Persia come in and destroyed Greece, many of the Greek cultural philosophies would not have been passed down through generations to Romans, Europeans and ultimately Americans. This battle weakened Persia's will to fight and thus saved Greece from annhilation. Definitely one of those Pivotal moments in history kind of battles.
Xerxes planned on taking the rest of Europe if he won at Thermopylae. If that had happened, the Roman Empire probably would never have begun and the world would be a very different place today.

Herodotus claims that the weather, as well as the Spartans, had a hand in defeating the Persians.

It is interesting, though, within a couple of centuries of Thermopylae, the Persians were conquered by Alexander of Macedon (aka Alexander the Great).

dan
03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
From the previews I've seen its another slap in the face for history. Since when did the persians have trolls, ogres and orcs fighting for them? Very disappointing, but what can I expect from hollywierd.

I read that the movie is supposed to be from the point of view of the Athenians, who at the time, thought that they were literally going to be battling monsters. However, I would have liked to have seen a realistic depiction of this battle, not everything needs to be The Matrix, y'know?

Insein
03-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I read that the movie is supposed to be from the point of view of the Athenians, who at the time, thought that they were literally going to be battling monsters. However, I would have liked to have seen a realistic depiction of this battle, not everything needs to be The Matrix, y'know?

Athenians or Spartans?

CSM
03-11-2007, 02:40 PM
I fond the movie extremely interesting. The monster part came from historical scripts claiming that Spartan's enemies had a proclivity to collect human freaks and exotic animals for entertainment. Also, the description of the battle and its portrayal in the movie seemed fairly accurate to me.

Best line in the whole thing:

"We have been sharing our culture with you all morning!"

dan
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Athenians or Spartans?

Errr, yeah, Spartans. Me no think good now.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Made 70 million dollars this weekend.

Gaffer
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Well not having seen the movie I can't say what I think of it except what I have seen in the trailers. And I will wait for it to come on the movie channels as nothing about what I have seen inspires me to pay to see it.

I do remember from reading up on it that the persians were defeated by the athanian fleet which kept them from landing troops at Thermopoly. And I know there were another 1200 Athanians and other greeks that took part in the battle. Not to mention the slaves that the Spartans kept who made up a portion of their army and whose revolts the Spartans were constantly putting down which is how they got their combat training in between wars. The Spartans were extremely cruel which is why the other greeks hated and feared them. Also they were religious fanatics.

The persians did sack the better part of the greek cities after the battle but were eventually defeated and driving back.

Insein
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Well not having seen the movie I can't say what I think of it except what I have seen in the trailers. And I will wait for it to come on the movie channels as nothing about what I have seen inspires me to pay to see it.

I do remember from reading up on it that the persians were defeated by the athanian fleet which kept them from landing troops at Thermopoly. And I know there were another 1200 Athanians and other greeks that took part in the battle. Not to mention the slaves that the Spartans kept who made up a portion of their army and whose revolts the Spartans were constantly putting down which is how they got their combat training in between wars. The Spartans were extremely cruel which is why the other greeks hated and feared them. Also they were religious fanatics.

The persians did sack the better part of the greek cities after the battle but were eventually defeated and driving back.

The Spartans were extremely nationalistic in a sense to Sparta. They didnt like anyone not from Sparta and felt that all non-Spartans (especially Athenians) were weak in contrast. Those that helped fight in that battle along side the Spartans we're accepted by the Spartans as their brothers in arms. Thos that would risk their lives and fight to the death to protect their homeland were seen as the ultimate Greeks in Spartan eyes.

As for the battle, yes the Athenians stopped the Persians by the sea but the Persians had a land army of millions (ridiculously huge number in those days). So the goal was to have the sea forces land and surround Greece. Athens held up its part and the Spartans held up theres.

KarlMarx
03-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Yes, the Spartans were militaristic, but they were honest.

The Athenians formed the Delian league to protect the smaller city states from attack. The problem with the Delian League was that, sometimes, membership was compulsory. You either joined, or the Athenians would invade. Plus the city states in the Delian League were required to pay a yearly tribute to Athens or supply troops. In most cases, the city states just wrote a check.

The money was supposed to be used to help pay for the defense of the city states, but it wasn't always used for that purpose. The Parthenon in Athens is one such example of the Athenians' misappropriation of funds. It was built almost entirely with funds the Athenians received from the other city states of the Delian League.

The Spartans also had a defensive league of their own, the Peloponnesian League (from which the Peloponnesian Wars got their name). Their arrangement was not as coercive as the Athenians, nor did they misuse funds.

CSM
03-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Yes, the Spartans were militaristic, but they were honest.

The Athenians formed the Delian league to protect the smaller city states from attack. The problem with the Delian League was that, sometimes, membership was compulsory. You either joined, or the Athenians would invade. Plus the city states in the Delian League were required to pay a yearly tribute to Athens or supply troops. In most cases, the city states just wrote a check.

The money was supposed to be used to help pay for the defense of the city states, but it wasn't always used for that purpose. The Parthenon in Athens is one such example of the Athenians' misappropriation of funds. It was built almost entirely with funds the Athenians received from the other city states of the Delian League.

The Spartans also had a defensive league of their own, the Peloponnesian League (from which the Peloponnesian Wars got their name). Their arrangement was not as coercive as the Athenians, nor did they misuse funds.

One could say that our government has it roots in Greek theory of government.

KarlMarx
03-12-2007, 06:09 AM
One could say that our government has it roots in Greek theory of government.
Either our government or the Mafia, but then, it's often difficult to tell the difference.