PDA

View Full Version : Respect

Yurt
08-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

HOOPER, Utah - A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm. "This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,' " Davis said.

"I respect that they're here and spent a lot on their homes, but on the other hand, give me a little bit, too. I've been here since I was 7 years old," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_fe_st/odd_car_fence

:clap:

hjmick
08-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice that he planned for it to be temporary from the beginning. I'd like to think the neighbors saw the humor in it, but somehow I don't think they did. They wouldn't even comment for the story.

Mr. P
08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Gotta deal like this here...A guy has a legally licensed kennel. Folks moved in around him and are now bitching about the dogs barking.

Kinda like folks that move near an airport then bitch about the airplane noise...

Just dumb!

Yurt
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
P, you will die when i tell you that....you can own a pig farm, and even if the neighbors move in after..... "if" it becomes a nuisance, in some states, you will have to remove that pig farm.

that is called progress.

Mr. P
08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
P, you will die when i tell you that....you can own a pig farm, and even if the neighbors move in after..... "if" it becomes a nuisance, in some states, you will have to remove that pig farm.

that is called progress.

I know.

Some states property laws/zoning suck, don't they?

Yurt
08-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I know.

Some states property laws/zoning suck, don't they?

the answer to that is....it is for the 'greater good'. your pig farm is in the middle of X, mean while, the city of Y grows all around. does your pig farm stay, given that it annoys the neighbors...who moved in, knowing the pig farm existed? the 'hood has changed, your pigs stink. what is your solution?

crin63
08-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I love it, a mans home should be his castle.

They shut down our gun range that had been there since 1928 because people moved in around it and didn't like the noise. I think it is on its way to federal court now.

Off topic, we lost our indoor gun range (the one from the first Lethal Weapon movie). Some anti-gun Liberals put their money where their mouth is and kept offering money until the owner finally had to sell it. Then they shut it down and made an office out of it.

hjmick
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
the answer to that is....it is for the 'greater good'. your pig farm is in the middle of X, mean while, the city of Y grows all around. does your pig farm stay, given that it annoys the neighbors...who moved in, knowing the pig farm existed? the 'hood has changed, your pigs stink. what is your solution?

This reminds of the story out of Katy Texas last year about the pig farmer and the Mosque. Apparently some land next door to a pig farmer was bought by a group of Muslims with plans to build a Mosque. They were well aware of the existence of the farm but bought anyway. As I recall, they explained to the farmer their intent to build a Mosque and asked him if he would move. His response? He basically thumbed his nose at them and started holding pig races once or twice a week.

I love it, a mans home should be his castle.

They shut down our gun range that had been there since 1928 because people moved in around it and didn't like the noise. I think it is on its way to federal court now.

Off topic, we lost our indoor gun range (the one from the first Lethal Weapon movie). Some anti-gun Liberals put their money where their mouth is and kept offering money until the owner finally had to sell it. Then they shut it down and made an office out of it.

Dude, come up to Oxnard. We'll go over to Shooter's Paradise.

I hadn't followed up on this story until now. It turns out that the farmer was mistaken, and admitted as much. The Mosque didn't want him to move off of his property, land his family has lived on for more that 100 years, they just wanted him to move his cattle off of the land they had bought. Still, at the time it was an amusing and controversial story. They seem to have worked it all out.

Edit:

Upon further review, there are also stories contradicting the above update. Who the hell knows what ultimately happened.

crin63
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Dude, come up to Oxnard. We'll go over to Shooter's Paradise.

Thanks for the invite. We might have to do that some time. Its about a 75 mile drive to Oxnard from here. Whats the longest range that they have? I've really been enjoying shooting my rifles.

Mr. P
08-05-2008, 07:31 AM

Eat Mor Chikin!:laugh2:

hjmick
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey...are there some posts missing from this thread?

Crin, I'm not sure of the length, it's been about a year since I was up there to shoot, but they do allow rifles and shotguns.

glockmail
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
When I was a kid my neighbor’s junkyard was a home run. He hated us retrieving balls there, so he went to the dump and dragged up a big pile of mattress, then set ‘em on fire. Then he lined ‘em along the property line as a fence. The balls returned off some of them nicely, not so with others.

Immanuel
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM

That is the same excuse cities use when they want to invoke eminent domain in order to boost their tax revenues. It sucks and it should be illegal.

Immie

hjmick
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey! Thanks to the staff for restoring my post!

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey! Thanks to the staff for restoring my post!

I didn't do it, I wasn't sure why deleted. At the same time I want to put it out there, none of us want to delete posts or close threads. We only do when we, (at the time), think it's in the interest of the board. Whoever deleted, did so with the best of intents. My guess, was the same person that restored it, thanks to your question, which was put in such polite terms.

Good call, whoever it was.

hjmick
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I didn't do it, I wasn't sure why deleted. At the same time I want to put it out there, none of us want to delete posts or close threads. We only do when we, (at the time), think it's in the interest of the board. Whoever deleted, did so with the best of intents. My guess, was the same person that restored it, thanks to your question, which was put in such polite terms.

Good call, whoever it was.

Oh no worries, I wasn't bothered by it, just confused. I thought perhaps there had been a problem with the server or some such thing. Having been a moderator on other boards, I am much less likely to question stuff like that. It is a thankless task and you are never able to please everyone.

BTW... Thanks to the staff.

We now return you to the previously scheduled topic...

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh no worries, I wasn't bothered by it, just confused. I thought perhaps there had been a problem with the server or some such thing. Having been a moderator on other boards, I am much less likely to question stuff like that. It is a thankless task and you are never able to please everyone.

BTW... Thanks to the staff.

We now return you to the previously scheduled topic...

Tried to rep. As you said, it's thankless and each member does what they think may work, sometimes they hit it, sometimes not. In any case, as this demonstrates, we can step back.