PDA

View Full Version : Another Obama Flip Flop

red states rule
08-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Folks, this is the third Obama flip flop in 3 days. NOw the messiah is opposed to tapping the strategic oil supply

This clod does not have an original thought in his head, and can't make a decision and stick to it

Obama has won the Gold Medal for most flip flops in a one week period

Obama flip flops on Strategic Petroleum Reserveposted at 2:50 pm on August 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Jim Geraghty, who caught this even while on vacation. In August 2005, Obama agreed with George Bush’s decision to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to buffer the economy from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. However, Obama warned that such actions should only take place in times of real emergency

I agree with the President’s decision to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to help replenish supply shortages resulting from Hurricane Katrina. Nearly all oil and natural gas production in the Gulf of Mexico has been shut down, and releasing this oil will help increase production and stabilize prices. However, I do believe that this tragedy makes it very clear that that the reserve should only be used in the event of an emergency, and that we shouldn’t be tapping the reserve to provide a small, short-term decrease in gas prices.

And again last month, in St. Louis on July 7th:
I do not believe that we should use the strategic oil reserves at this point. I have said and, in fact, supported a congressional resolution that said that we should suspend putting more oil into the strategic oil reserve, but the strategic oil reserve, I think, has to be reserved for a genuine emergency. You have a situation, let’s say, where there was a major oil facility in Saudi Arabia that was destroyed as a consequence of terrorist acts, and you suddenly had huge amounts of oil taken out of the world market, we wouldn’t just be seeing $4-a-gallon oil. We could see a situation where entire sectors of the country had no oil to function at all. And that’s what the strategic oil reserve has to be for.

Today, we discovered what Barack Obama considers a genuine emergency — a drop in the polls:

Democrat Barack Obama called today for tapping the nation’s strategic oil reserves to help drive down gasoline prices, a shift from his previous position on the issue.

The reversal is the second refinement in Obama’s energy policy. Last week, he said that he would reluctantly consider accepting some offshore oil drilling. Obama had previously said he opposed such drilling, which is strongly backed by rival John McCain, who has urged that states be allowed to decide whether to drill.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/04/obama-flip-flops-on-strategic-petroleum-reserve/

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Yep somehow using a small amount of reserves is going to help, while increasing supplies wouldn't.

Can anyone say, "November"?

red states rule
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Yep somehow using a small amount of reserves is going to help, while increasing supplies wouldn't.

Can anyone say, "November"?

Maybe this was the tactic that would only reduce the price at the pump by a few cents he was talking about a few weeks ago

This guy has a spine of Jello

He is always ready with a firm maybe

It is going to be a fun 3 months until Novemeber. I wonder how the Obamabots will try and spin this?

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Maybe this was the tactic that would only reduce the price at the pump by a few cents he was talking about a few weeks ago

This guy has a spine of Jello

He is always ready with a firm maybe

It is going to be a fun 3 months until Novemeber. I wonder how the Obamabots will try and spin this?

If Bush were to cave to this suggestion, prices would fall a bit more, with him taking all the credit. Reality is that yesterday oil prices fell below $120 barrel for a time, still closing down from previous price. This in spite of the possible hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. There's little question that the political talk and the people's focus on energy is having an effect. Indeed oil futures have turned bearish, there's little doubt of that any longer.

red states rule
08-05-2008, 08:43 AM
If Bush were to cave to this suggestion, prices would fall a bit more, with him taking all the credit. Reality is that yesterday oil prices fell below $120 barrel for a time, still closing down from previous price. This in spite of the possible hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. There's little question that the political talk and the people's focus on energy is having an effect. Indeed oil futures have turned bearish, there's little doubt of that any longer.

Kathianne, the minute the Republicans FORCE Dems to vote on drilling, the bill will pass - and you will se another drop in the price of oil

It will take about 2 years for the oil to reach the market (per oil companies) and IF more refineries are built, we can tell the ME what to do with their oil

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Kathianne, the minute the Republicans FORCE Dems to vote on drilling, the bill will pass - and you will se another drop in the price of oil

It will take about 2 years for the oil to reach the market (per oil companies) and IF more refineries are built, we can tell the ME what to do with their oil

I agree with all, except the Republicans to Force drilling vote. They really can't, what they are doing is creating the possibility that the people will pressure congressional members to force Pelosi and Reid to do so.

red states rule
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
I agree with all, except the Republicans to Force drilling vote. They really can't, what they are doing is creating the possibility that the people will pressure congressional members to force Pelosi and Reid to do so.

I think they can and will. Dems live and breath by polls. Many Dems want to drill, and Pelsi and Reid are taking alot of heat

If enough Dems break away, they will have to aloow the vote

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I think they can and will. Dems live and breath by polls. Many Dems want to drill, and Pelsi and Reid are taking alot of heat

If enough Dems break away, they will have to aloow the vote

As I said, the Republicans cannot force it. If Dems break away it will be due to pressure from the People, something I wish more people would get on more issues.

red states rule
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
As I said, the Republicans cannot force it. If Dems break away it will be due to pressure from the People, something I wish more people would get on more issues.

Republicans can force a shutdown. Yes, you are correct they can't force a vote - but they make life hell for the Dems

and so can the voters

red states rule
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
This is funny

Look how the Washington Compost reports the Obama flip flop. It is a "policy shift" :laugh2:

Obama Urges Opening Up Oil Reserves
Policy Shift Is His Second in a Week on Energy Issue; McCain Urges Immediate Drilling

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/04/AR2008080400477.html