PDA

View Full Version : For Us Coffee Drinkers Some Good News

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/health/05brod.html?ex=1375588800&en=da488ca359585fdc&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Personal Health
Sorting Out Coffee’s Contradictions
By JANE E. BRODY

...Health Benefits

Probably the most important effects of caffeine are its ability to enhance mood and mental and physical performance. At consumption levels up to 200 milligrams (the amount in about 16 ounces of ordinary brewed coffee), consumers report an improved sense of well-being, happiness, energy, alertness and sociability, Roland Griffiths of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine reported, although higher amounts sometimes cause anxiety and stomach upset.

Millions of sleep-deprived Americans depend on caffeine to help them make it through their day and drive safely. The drug improves alertness and reaction time. In the sleep-deprived, it improves memory and the ability to perform complex tasks.

For the active, caffeine enhances endurance in aerobic activities and performance in anaerobic ones, perhaps because it blunts the perception of pain and aids the ability to burn fat for fuel instead of its carbohydrates.

Recent disease-related findings can only add to coffee’s popularity. A review of 13 studies found that people who drank caffeinated coffee, but not decaf, had a 30 percent lower risk of Parkinson’s disease.

Another review found that compared with noncoffee drinkers, people who drank four to six cups of coffee a day, with or without caffeine, had a 28 percent lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. This benefit probably comes from coffee’s antioxidants and chlorogenic acid.

diuretic
08-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Another reason for me to hate America. I only developed my coffee habit after spending a few months in the US in 1984. I haven't been the same since. I cannot get a day started without two big cups of decent, filtered coffee (I've got a German coffee maker, her name is Helga - just kidding, I've got a great German coffee machine).

I should sue someone. :laugh2:

Dilloduck
08-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Another reason for me to hate America. I only developed my coffee habit after spending a few months in the US in 1984. I haven't been the same since. I cannot get a day started without two big cups of decent, filtered coffee (I've got a German coffee maker, her name is Helga - just kidding, I've got a great German coffee machine).

I should sue someone. :laugh2:

Hey--we don't grow the stuff. Blame Columbia.

diuretic
08-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Hey--we don't grow the stuff. Blame Columbia.

But you outbid us! I really got ticked when I came back here and worked out what was going on. But I knew what was happening. The old insidious, "come to America, look at our beautiful country......drink the coffee....drink the coffee...you will like the coffee,.,,"

And you grab all, the best stuff. :laugh2:

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Obviously, doc, you liked the coffee!!!!!!!!!

But you outbid us! I really got ticked when I came back here and worked out what was going on. But I knew what was happening. The old insidious, "come to America, look at our beautiful country......drink the coffee....drink the coffee...you will like the coffee,.,,"

Pour Me Another Cup Of Coffee
For It Is The Best In The Land
And I'll Put A Quarter In The Jukebox
And Play The Song "A Truck Drivin' Man"

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: :coffee:

Kathianne
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM

And just how did you think we keep our productivity rates where they are? We don't sleep! :laugh2: It's worth the price of those beans. Have you checked out the ready to eat coffee beans in gourmet shops? Yummy!

5stringJeff
08-17-2008, 08:03 PM
The best coffee in the world is sold at www.coffeefool.com. Really. I'm totally hooked.

retiredman
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
when I was in the Navy, I used to have 20-30 cups of coffee a day. Ever since I had my heart attack in November of '06, even the tiniest bit of coffee or caffeine in any form sends my heart into prolonged atrial fibrillation. I would rather give up Famous Grouse than give up coffee, but, nonetheless, I have done exactly that. alas.

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 04:13 AM
It's a good thing that you found yourself in that personal argument, mfm!!!!!!

when I was in the Navy, I used to have 20-30 cups of coffee a day. Ever since I had my heart attack in November of '06, even the tiniest bit of coffee or caffeine in any form sends my heart into prolonged atrial fibrillation. I would rather give up Famous Grouse than give up coffee, but, nonetheless, I have done exactly that. alas.

Can I offer you a damned good decaf?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

retiredman
08-18-2008, 06:24 AM
It's a good thing that you found yourself in that personal argument, mfm!!!!!!

Can I offer you a damned good decaf?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

decaf coffee doesn't do it for me.

I have resigned myself to decaf green tea... which I am sipping right this very minute!

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:06 AM
I understand that green tea is helpful in other ways as well, mfm!!!!!!!

decaf coffee doesn't do it for me.

I have resigned myself to decaf green tea... which I am sipping right this very minute!

If you ever get over to the Lounge, I'll brew some up for you!!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Merle, We Don't Smoke Marijuana In Muskogee: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: