PDA

View Full Version : Car Foods: What Works, What Doesn't

Kathianne
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I always like apples:

http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/08/best-road-snack.html

...Home-made Snacks

Roadsnacks3_2 I'm not terribly creative with home-made road snacks, preferring instead the processed variety. My favorite is a nice baggie full of molasses cookies cooked to my mother's recipe, which are sweet enough to satisfy but not so rich and sweet that they are cloying. On the natural side, orange slices are great, as are celery stalks. The celery doesn't really fill you up, but it's crisp and refreshing and the sheer effort to chew it helps pass the miles.

The worst? Whole apples.

Processed Snacks

Yes, I know--processed snacks make you fat, wreak havoc on your blood sugar, have wasteful packaging, poke gaping holes in the ozone layer, and introduce trans-fats to endangered species. They are also fantastic on road trips.

Fast Food

Like processed food, everybody knocks fast food--but we all eat it on road trips. There is little more satisfying than getting off the freeway, dashing through a drive-through, and getting right back on the freeway less than five minutes later....

Full Meals

I've never really brought along full meals on road trips--they seem unwieldy and difficult to keep warm unless you wrap them in foil and place them in the engine compartment. But I'm sure some of you have some favorites, and I'm eager to learn.

Beverages

Roadsnacks4Given the sugary, fatty, and salty nature of most road food, bringing along the right beverages on a road trip is of paramount importance. Since most road beverages are also sugary and dehydrating, it is of course key to bring along some water. But road-tripping man and woman cannot live on water alone....

midcan5
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
For those old enough to remember, Stuckey's was the best car food, best to stop and enjoy the trip. I don't see any today but since the children are raised we drive less.

Little-Acorn
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Chicken McNuggets, the king of road foods. Come in neat boxes, aren't sloppy, eat them with one hand, no cores or rinds or seeds or messy wrappers, easy cleanup, and if you happen to get fresh ones they even taste good.

With "Hot Mustard" sauce, natch. It is neither, but it's an OK sauce to put on that particular snack. On the road again.......

P.S. Cholesterol? Nevah hoid of it........