PDA

View Full Version : 9th Circuit endorses censoring Christians

stephanie
03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Ruling says 'family values' is hate speech that scares city workers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 8, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

Richard D. Ackerman, of the Pro-Family Law Center

A ruling from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has concluded that municipal employers have the right to censor the words "natural family," "marriage" and "family values" because that is hate speech and could scare workers.

The ruling came in a case being handled by the Pro-Family Law Center, which promised an appeal of the drastic result.

"We are going to take this case right up the steps of the United States Supreme Court," said Richard D. Ackerman, who along with Scott Lively argued the case for the Pro-Family Law Center.
We are simply unwilling to accept that Christians can be completely silenced on the issues of the day – especially on issues such as same-sex marriage, parental rights, and free speech rights," he said.

"If we fail to get U.S. Supreme Court review, however, it will be up to each individual Christian in the United States to stand up for their rights to be heard on the issues of the day. If we choose to be silent, silenced we shall be," he said.

The Rest...
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54587

03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
how the heck did these people become federal judges

Gaffer
03-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Appointed by a liberal president.

It's the most overturned court in the country.

If there's ever a civil war these folks need to be looked up taught what justice really means.

stephanie
03-10-2007, 11:41 PM
California Used to be a nice state.....

Some of it is now totally lost to the progressive madness...:poke:

manu1959
03-10-2007, 11:44 PM
California Used to be a nice state.....

Some of it is now totally lost to the progressive madness...:poke:

it is still a nice state.....a lot of the people are effen crackers though....but they are all gay or having abortions so their reproduction rate is pretty low.....

stephanie
03-10-2007, 11:50 PM
it is still a nice state.....a lot of the people are effen crackers though....but they are all gay or having abortions so their reproduction rate is pretty low.....

Your right manu..
I lived in Grass Valley-Nevada city area, before I moved here...

Beautiful there, loved it..Too touristy and expensive, though..

:cheers2:

Hobbit
03-11-2007, 01:04 AM
It's been said that we need a second Supreme Court to take only cases from the 9th Circuit, and I'm more and more in favor of that every day.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 11:59 AM
California is an awesome state. We can censor Christians, hug trees, stage protest marches and then go to the beach. :cheers2:

Birdzeye
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
You can count on Worldnetdaily to distill out the inconvenient factoids:

STANFORD — Lawyers for two Oakland city workers told an appeals-court panel Thursday their clients' free-speech rights were violated when supervisors removed a anti-homosexuality flier the duo had posted on a workplace bulletin board.

In fact, attorney Scott Lively said, the city opened the door to such debate by letting its e-mail system be used to disseminate information on a National Coming Out Day rally. "My clients met the challenge of promotion of gay marriage in the workplace," he said, and can't be denied the ability to express their views.

But city officials, as employers, have broad rights to restrict speech that might disrupt the workplace, attorney Angela Padilla countered. She said an e-mail announcement of a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event wouldn't mean the city must allow postings by white supremacists or anyone who believes African Americans impugn the workplace's integrity. The plaintiffs in the case, incidentally, are African-Americans.

The three-judge panel, sitting in special session at the Stanford Law School, will render a decision within a few months.

The case involves a flier Regina Rederford and Robin Christy, 20, posted in their office at Oakland's Community and Economic Development Agency in 2003. Promoting their Good News Employee Association, the flier urged people to "preserve our workplace with integrity" and said their association "is a forum for people of faith to express their views on contemporary issues of the day with respect for the natural family, marriage and family values."

Another CEDA worker who is a lesbian complained to supervisors that the flier made her feel targeted and excluded; supervisors reviewed the flier and removed it, encouraging Rederford and Christy to revise and repost it without the language now at issue.

Rederford and Christy sued, claiming their rights were violated by an Oakland anti-discrimination policy that promotes homosexuality and denounces Christian values. A federal judge dismissed the city as a defendant in March 2004, and in February 2005 granted summary judgment in favor of then-City Manager Robert Bobb and CEDA Deputy Executive Director Joyce Hicks.

Senior Circuit Judge Betty Fletcher on Thursday asked Lively whether his clients realize they have "a rather low level of protection" on potentially incendiary or discriminatory language in the workplace, and should "keep away from words that'll rile people up."

"But shouldn't that go both ways?" Lively replied, noting his clients hadn't complained about the National Coming Out Day e-mail that ran contrary to their beliefs.

Circuit Judge Sandra Ikuta noted that e-mail had invited readers to "a rally against hatred and bigotry — is that disparaging to your clients?"

Circuit Judge Richard Clifton said he believes "there are eggshells on both sides" of this argument, yet he doesn't see what the e-mail had done to vilify Rederford and Christy while it's not hard to see how their flier vilified gays and lesbians. "It's hard to avoid the inference, 'We lack ethics, we lack integrity because these people are here.'"

http://www.insidebayarea.com/dailyreview/localnews/ci_5239970

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM

What an awesome sweeping generalization. But don't worry. Your daughter is free to come have abortions with us.
We'll even take Hobbit and Stephanie. I can take them to the barrio and let them eat good Mexican food. They'd have to check their white sheets at the door, though.

MtnBiker
03-11-2007, 06:32 PM
They'd have to check their white sheets at the door, though.

LiberalNation for sure.

Hobbit
03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
What an awesome sweeping generalization. But don't worry. Your daughter is free to come have abortions with us.
We'll even take Hobbit and Stephanie. I can take them to the barrio and let them eat good Mexican food. They'd have to check their white sheets at the door, though.

You don't want to go down that road, Gabby. If you had said that to me in person, I'd have broken your nose.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I would never say anything in a message board that I wouldn't say in person.
Nor would I ever say anything that isn't truthful.

Hobbit
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I would never say anything in a message board that I wouldn't say in person.

Then never come to the South. You will be shot and nobody will shed a tear.

Nor would I ever say anything that isn't truthful.

You wouldn't know truth if it slapped you in the ass and then dug straight into your skull. You're beyond hope.