PDA

View Full Version : I have 2 areas that I am actively involved in this is one of them......

Trinity
08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I would appreciate it if you would read through this with an open mind and not with blinders on......

REFORM SEX OFFENDER LAWS NOW!
A Call to Protect American Society, our Children and our Liberties

THIS is the statement of a group of concerned Americans, including educators, health workers, and community activists, based on a similar Call issued in Boston in 1999. We urge others to join in this campaign.

As part of the effort to support the happiness, well-being and freedom of children, we are committed to protect society and its children from the dangers of sexual harm. We are also committed to preserve civil liberty and genuine criminal justice. We believe many aspects of the current approach to sex offenders seriously undermine justice and make our society less compatible with the welfare of young people. These include state and national sex offender registries as currently structured, life-time civil commitment statutes for sex offenders after completing prison sentences, and the public shaming of anyone accused of illegal sexual activity. We support carefully limited laws that target harmful acts, not whole classes of people, and which rehabilitate rather than vindictively punish and shame offenders. We assert that only by supporting justice for all people can we maintain a safe society.

Here is the link to the rest of the statement, very interesting reading.

http://www.reformsexoffenderlaws.org/statement.php

Kathianne
08-06-2008, 11:43 PM
While I have problems with small kids getting nailed sex offenders for kissing each other or saying the wrong thing...I also have a problem with 17-20 year olds being labeled for having consensual sex...I don't favor throwing out the lists.

theHawk
08-06-2008, 11:44 PM
wow, someone actually fighting for sexual offender rights. Sorry but I have no sympathy for the shitbags involved in such crimes. And in no way to do I believe that they should be ignored once they "do their time" in jail. The only reason they are being monitored is because there isn't enough room in jails. If anything, we need to just keep them locked up if they are such a danger to society that they cannot be trusted. We need to jail these shitbags for life, and in cases of pedophila and child molestation - executed. This country has its priorities so ass backwards that criminals are getting more rights than the children they victimize.

Kathianne
08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
wow, someone actually fighting for sexual offender rights. Sorry but I have no sympathy for the shitbags involved in such crimes. And in no way to do I believe that they should be ignored once they "do their time" in jail. The only reason they are being monitored is because there isn't enough room in jails. If anything, we need to just keep them locked up if they are such a danger to society that they cannot be trusted. We need to jail these shitbags for life, and in cases of pedophila and child molestation - executed. This country has its priorities so ass backwards that criminals are getting more rights than the children they victimize.

I have to agree with you. As I said, there are things that probably should be worked out, most of which have to do with the zero tolerance rules in schools.

Getting rid of the offenders lists? No. While my children are no longer children, I remember moving to this house when my youngest was in 5th grade. It was October. The kids were going to go trick or treating, I found the list. On the next block there was a 40 something year old man, multiple convictions for pedophilia. Needless to say, we didn't go to his house.

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 12:09 AM
every holloween they should get a trick or treat *edited*
edited :coffee:
edited

Martin, what are you trying to say? What does your post have to do with the topic?

actsnoblemartin
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
i think jessica's law is the right law for all states, time served doesnt mean much, i dont think we can rehab these type of criminals

but i have the upmost of respect for you trigg

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 12:15 AM
it has to do with what you said

On the next block there was a 40 something year old man, multiple convictions for pedophilia. Needless to say, we didn't go to his house

Nothing I posted would engender the post you came up with. Please edit.

Trinity
08-07-2008, 06:49 AM
While I have problems with small kids getting nailed sex offenders for kissing each other or saying the wrong thing...I also have a problem with 17-20 year olds being labeled for having consensual sex...I don't favor throwing out the lists.

I don't favor throwing out the lists either, however I do favor them being used for the more dangerous ones and not being all filled up with people who have urinated in public or Romeo and Juliet cases.

darin
08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm on the fence - I think the label 'sex offender' is too often broadly applied - especially in cases as Kath mentioned - where slutty higher-aged-teens are involved. Shall I remind us of the case of the young man - was he 19? He and friends met three girls at a hotel. They all were drinking/drugging and the 17? Year old messed around with him. He went to jail. I know of a story of a guy touching a woman's breast - he'll be a sex offender for TEN YEARS because of it. Talk about punishment AFTER his dept to society is paid. I can't be sure, but I'd bet $ had he punched her, say, in the shoulder, his 'battery' punishment would have been less severe.

Anywho -

Nukeman
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Be careful if you go to lake Havasu. I heard from a friend who was just out there that ANY woman caught flashing her breast would be arrested and if found guilty would have to regester as a "seex offender".

This is where I have a huge problem with some of these laws. they have become so watered down to not really mean anything

Hey Hawk, keep in mind a vast majority of the folks put on these list are for stupid shit and not the hard core sexual preditors that yoru thinking of. I don't think a 17 yo should have to be on a regester because he received a hummer from a 15y 11 month old do you???

hjmick
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Be careful if you go to lake Havasu. I heard from a friend who was just out there that ANY woman caught flashing her breast would be arrested and if found guilty would have to regester as a "seex offender".

This is where I have a huge problem with some of these laws. they have become so watered down to not really mean anything

Hey Hawk, keep in mind a vast majority of the folks put on these list are for stupid shit and not the hard core sexual preditors that yoru thinking of. I don't think a 17 yo should have to be on a regester because he received a hummer from a 15y 11 month old do you???

If the giver is my 15 year 11 month old daughter? Yes! :coffee:

Nukeman
08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
If the giver is my 15 year 11 month old daughter? Yes! :coffee:
I agree with as a father, but what if its your 17 year old daughter and a 15 year old boy??????

hjmick
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree with as a father, but what if its your 17 year old daughter and a 15 year old boy??????

Yes, the boy should be registered as a sex offender! :lmao:

Hobbit
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm with ya Trin. I'm not completely sure on even the existence of a sex offender registry, but the way it is now is atrocious. I also think we're sending mixed signals when the school passes out condoms, then ruins the lives of anybody who actually uses them.

manu1959
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
i would say this.....if you need to be on a list....the list should be the roll call list inside the prison....