PDA

View Full Version : Iraq has a huge budget surplus??? WTF???

retiredman
08-07-2008, 06:05 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/05/iraq.oil/?iref=hpmostpop

So let me get this straight:

We liberate them from a terrible tyrant. We help them write a constitution and form a government and train their armies and police forces. We continue to spend BILLIONS of dollars to spruce up their country and fix THEIR bridges and highways and schools and power plants...

and WE are paying $4/gallon for gas... OUR bridges are falling apart... WE are running the largest budget deficit in our history, in large part because we are paying all those BILLIONS to fix their place up...

AND THEY HAVE $80 BILLION DOLLARS OF BUDGET SURPLUS CASH THAT THEY HAVE EARNED FROM THE HIGH COST OF OIL - A GOOD CHUNK OF WHICH IS SITTING IN AMERICAN BANKS EARNING INTEREST HERE????

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE????

retiredman
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
none of the usual conservative suspects care to step up and take a stab at this one?

Nukeman
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM

We liberate them from a terrible tyrant. We help them write a constitution and form a government and train their armies and police forces. We continue to spend BILLIONS of dollars to spruce up their country and fix THEIR bridges and highways and schools and power plants...

and WE are paying $4/gallon for gas... OUR bridges are falling apart... WE are running the largest budget deficit in our history, in large part because we are paying all those BILLIONS to fix their place up...

AND THEY HAVE $80 BILLION DOLLARS OF BUDGET SURPLUS CASH THAT THEY HAVE EARNED FROM THE HIGH COST OF OIL - A GOOD CHUNK OF WHICH IS SITTING IN AMERICAN BANKS EARNING INTEREST HERE????

Careful there MFM you almost sound like a conservative with this post!!!:laugh2:

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the Republicans that have remained behind, should emphasize that they want Iraq to spend the surplus on Iraq, cutting US spending. Couple that with the energy discussion, things would look better in the fall.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
none of the usual conservative suspects care to step up and take a stab at this one?

Seems the Iraq government can better manage their budget them the Dem Congress can

Since when are we liberaters? You have called the troops infidels and occupiers

Not I expect you will respond to this post

retiredman
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I think the Republicans that have remained behind, should emphasize that they want Iraq to spend the surplus on Iraq, cutting US spending. Couple that with the energy discussion, things would look better in the fall.

why can't they give us their surplus as a token payment to cover a smidgen of what we have spent so far? As I can recall, that is what Wolfowitz promised congress: that Iraqi oil money, and not American taxpayer dollars, would pay for the reconstruction. We have a huge deficit, they have a huge surplus. Doesn't that make sense?

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:32 PM
why can't they give us their surplus as a token payment to cover a smidgen of what we have spent so far? As I can recall, that is what Wolfowitz promised congress: that Iraqi oil money, and not American taxpayer dollars, would pay for the reconstruction. We have a huge deficit, they have a huge surplus. Doesn't that make sense?

Then the Dems would rant how the war was about oil, and they were right all the time

No comment on post # 5?

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Considering the shape their country is in, no I don't think it does. However, without a doubt, they should be picking up the pace and costs.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Considering the shape their country is in, no I don't think it does. However, without a doubt, they should be picking up the pace and costs.

Saddam neglected it for over 30 years. The UN's Oil For Food was a cash cow for Saddam and other government leaders.

The Iraq government should be chipping in to help pay the bill

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Saddam neglected it for over 30 years. The UN's Oil For Food was a cash cow for Saddam and other government leaders.

The Iraq government should be chipping in to help pay the bill

That's what I said. There infrastructure has been neglected for decades. Yes, now they should be putting in the money.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
That's what I said. There infrastructure has been neglected for decades. Yes, now they should be putting in the money.

It is common sense, but when has governemnt at anytime be accused of common sense?

manu1959
so then bush's plan worked..................

retiredman

considering the shape that our budget deficit is in, I think it does.... especially when then aren't offering to pay us back. Were Wolfowitz, and the Bush administration LYING to us?

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
considering the shape that our budget deficit is in, I think it does.... especially when then aren't offering to pay us back. Were Wolfowitz, and the Bush administration LYING to us?

Maybe your messiah will put through a windfall profit tax on the Iraq oil and all our problems wil be solved :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM

I doubt lying is the right word, I hear they hate that.

You are entitled to your opinion, I already expressed mine.

retiredman
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
so then bush's plan worked..................

Bush's plan was to be greeted as liberators, to install a vibrant multicultural democracy that would blossom on the banks of the Euphrates, and have Iraq become our bestest buddy in the whole middle east....AND to have Iraqi oil revenues pay for it all....so no... after 4K dead Americans and a half a trillion dollars flushed down the toilet, I would say that Bush's plan definitely did NOT work.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Bush's plan was to be greeted as liberators, to install a vibrant multicultural democracy that would blossom on the banks of the Euphrates, and have Iraq become our bestest buddy in the whole middle east....AND to have Iraqi oil revenues pay for it all....so no... after 4K dead Americans and a half a trillion dollars flushed down the toilet, I would say that Bush's plan definitely did NOT work.

We did liberate them - even though you call our troops infidels and occupiers

The Iraq government has accomplished more in the last year then the Dem run Congress has

Defeatests like you refuse to admit you were wrong about the war and the surge. Looks like now you are reduced to whining about this, and not the success the terrorists once had

theHawk
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

What?? I thought we blew this country up and sacrificed the blood of our children to get their oil for free?

Oh thats right, that was all looney liberal bullshit.

Looks to me like they know how to manage their spending alot better than the bloated US government does. We're supposed to be mad that them for that? Would you rather they be in debt?

It is a sign though, that they can start spending the money on themselves and we can cut back reconstruction spending there. The sooner they can pay for their own infrastructure and security, the sooner our troops can get off Iraqi steets.

retiredman
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
What?? I thought we blew this country up and sacrificed the blood of our children to get their oil for free?

Looks to me like they know how to manage their spending alot better than the bloated US government does. We're supposed to be mad that them for that? Would you rather they be in debt?

It is a sign though, that they can start spending the money on themselves and we can cut back reconstruction spending there. The sooner they can pay for their own infrastructure and security, the sooner our troops can get off Iraqi steets.

they should not have been allowed to gorge themselves on oil profits while we picked up the tab for THEIR country's reconstruction. We should simply ask them to fork over that $80B as partial payment for all we have done on their behalf, IMHO.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Libs have been screaming for years the war was about oil. I have no problem reducing the spending and letting Iraq rebuild their country

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/137936.jpg

theHawk
08-07-2008, 02:06 PM
they should not have been allowed to gorge themselves on oil profits while we picked up the tab for THEIR country's reconstruction. We should simply ask them to fork over that $80B as partial payment for all we have done on their behalf, IMHO.

Thats not an unreasonable request.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM

I agree hawk. But I keep thinking about if the Dems had their way we would not be talking about this

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/123041.jpg

manu1959
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
see what the gop can do with a country when dems can't interfere..........

google bush's accomplishments is Liberia as well......

not bad compared to rawanda and somalia under the previous leadership.....

Sitarro
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
see what the gop can do with a country when dems can't interfere..........

google bush's accomplishments is Liberia as well......

not bad compared to rawanda and somalia under the previous leadership.....

I was looking at it the same way manu, I see success in the fact that they can say that they have a surplus, Saddam kept anything before. I would not doubt that once the Iraqis truly feel what it's like to be free of tyrannical rule, they will help spur a feeling that is already growing among the people of their surrounding countries....... there will be a repayment in some form or another.

manu1959
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I was looking at it the same way manu, I see success in the fact that they can say that they have a surplus, Saddam kept anything before. I would not doubt that once the Iraqis truly feel what it's like to be free of tyrannical rule, they will help spur a feeling that is already growing among the people of their surrounding countries....... there will be a repayment in some form or another.

they have their own govt......their own money....their own economy....they are united against aq and the rest of the whack jobs.....and the have a plan to have the us on their way by 2010......

that will be 50 years quicker than germany or japan, 40 years quicker than south korea and 20 years quicker than bosnia....

retiredman
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM

thank you, hawk. I wonder why the vast majority of Bush asslickers on here would rather see America's deficit grow while rebuilding Iraq than see theirs shrink.

party before country, I would suggest.

red states rule
08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
thank you, hawk. I wonder why the vast majority of Bush asslickers on here would rather see America's deficit grow while rebuilding Iraq than see theirs shrink.

party before country, I would suggest.

You are the expert on oputting party before country. A lib talking about cutting the deficit is like Ted Kennedy talking about AA