PDA

View Full Version : What Goes Around Comes Around

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
In an earlier post I read, one of our more liberal members wrote that the Pelosi gambit was a result of Republican filibusters. Then wrote that the Republicans had just rammed through legislation for Bush, while the Democrats just were left with no alternatives. Great fiction, all one needs to do is look at judicial appointments left unfilled, 'just because they could.'

Now it appears that there is a serious movement which I've seen mentioned on messageboards since at least 2003, holding 'trials' of one sort or another when the Democrats can wrest control. Well we'll see what happens if it comes to pass:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjcxOTZiNzVhMTYzNmM4MGQ1ZDgwNmIzNzgwMDliYmI=

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Left and Plans for "Nuremberg-Style" Tribunals for Bush Administration Officials [Byron York]

One thing that hasn't received much attention in conservative and Republicans circles is the ongoing conversation on the left about the possibility of Nuremberg-style war-crimes trials for members of the Bush administration should a Democratic president take office. I'm not exaggerating or introducing the Nazi analogy myself; they actually use the phrase "Nuremberg-style" when they discuss "war-crimes tribunals." And they are quite serious (although the more moderate of them prefer a "truth commission.")

At the Netroots Nation gathering in Austin, Texas last month — that is the successor to YearlyKos — Dahlia Lithwick, of the Washington-Post-owned website Slate, did an interview with the Talking Points Memo site in which she described a panel discussion she had just taken part in on what is known as the "first 100 days of accountability." Among Lithwick's observations:

We're already falling into this trap of either positing Nuremberg-style war crimes tribunals, or nothing, immunizing everyone from John Yoo up and down…but everybody says there's a lot of gray area in between that, and that accountability doesn't necessarily mean Nuremberg, it doesn't necessarily mean nothing, it means possibly a truth commission, possibly appointing a special prosecutor to look at it…

Lithwick recommended a massive retrospective investigation of the Bush administration, going through every piece of paper, before moving forward:

Certainly long before we make a decision to do what Stuart Taylor suggested this week, which was immunize everybody in advance, or alternatively make a decision to trot them out before a war crimes tribunal before the whole world, we should really find out what happened…

But Lithwick recognized that there are those who argue such an action might be divisive:

We talked a lot about this notion that it's bad for America, that it will rip America apart if we have hearings or we have criminal trials or if we have war crimes tribunals. And I think it's really worse for America if we don't…

I think the thing to emphasize here is that this is a serious conversation going on among people who might have influential voices or play influential roles in an Obama administration. Many of them want to put John Yoo — a special favorite of theirs — on trial, whether before a Nuremberg-style tribunal, a criminal court, or a truth commission with as-yet unspecified powers. And, of course, they wouldn't stop with Yoo; if they had their way, they would likely have a long list of former Bush administration officials to put in the dock. They are serious.

I would recommend that all those just waiting to 'get them', keep in mind how past Democratic sinners were dealt with, including Sandy Berger. What goes around often comes around.

hjmick
08-07-2008, 11:06 AM
In my opinion, the Dems and Bush haters are chomping at the bit, and have been for a few years now, in nervous anticipation of putting this administration on trial. The only thing that has prevented them thus far, the fear losing the White House as well as the power they have gained on the Hill.

JohnDoe
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
In an earlier post I read, one of our more liberal members wrote that the Pelosi gambit was a result of Republican filibusters. Then wrote that the Republicans had just rammed through legislation for Bush, while the Democrats just were left with no alternatives. Great fiction, all one needs to do is look at judicial appointments left unfilled, 'just because they could.'

Now it appears that there is a serious movement which I've seen mentioned on messageboards since at least 2003, holding 'trials' of one sort or another when the Democrats can wrest control. Well we'll see what happens if it comes to pass:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjcxOTZiNzVhMTYzNmM4MGQ1ZDgwNmIzNzgwMDliYmI=

I would recommend that all those just waiting to 'get them', keep in mind how past Democratic sinners were dealt with, including Sandy Berger. What goes around often comes around.

i haven't heard a THING on this?

and

kat

wasn't sandy berger CHARGED with a crime for what he did? that may not be a good example for you to use?

jd

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
i haven't heard a THING on this?

and

kat

wasn't sandy berger CHARGED with a crime for what he did? that may not be a good example for you to use?

jd
Perfect example, Berger was convicted. He committed a crime, but the administration did NOT have Justice go after the charges that could have been. Whether or not things were done and too often both sides do, there's a long history of giving each breaks. What is now being threatened is holding 'trials' that would just be to destroy reputations, based on war trials type scenarios. There is no 'there, there,' but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to pass and if so, there will be trouble for Democrats for certain.

JohnDoe
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Perfect example, Berger was convicted. He committed a crime, but the administration did NOT have Justice go after the charges that could have been. Whether or not things were done and too often both sides do, there's a long history of giving each breaks. What is now being threatened is holding 'trials' that would just be to destroy reputations, based on war trials type scenarios. There is no 'there, there,' but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to pass and if so, there will be trouble for Democrats for certain.

yep! i can see that kathianne! they cover to a degree, for eachother....:(

hjmick
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
There is no 'there, there,' but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to pass and if so, there will be trouble for Democrats for certain.

Indeed, such antics may eventually come back to bite the Dems in the ass, but not before they have their hands on the national tiller for two or three years.