PDA

View Full Version : McCain Should Heed The Warning Here

Kathianne
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I've been noticing a lot of the same doings around here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4474202.ece

August 7, 2008
Suddenly being green is not cool any more
As the credit crunch bites, environmental policies are being ditched. But oddly we are doing better at saving the planet
Alice Thomson

Julie Burchill can't stand them. According to her new book, Not in my Name: A Compendium of Modern Hypocrisy, she thinks all environmentalists are po-faced, unsexy, public school alumni who drivel on about the end of the world because they don't want the working classes to have any fun, go on foreign holidays or buy cheap clothes.

Michael O'Leary, the chief executive of Ryanair, agrees. In an interview with Rachel Sylvester and me, he told us that the “nutbag ecologists” are the overindulged rich who have nothing better to do with their lives than talk about hot air and beans...

When Barack Obama first decided to run for the presidency, he embraced the green cause. Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth, about global warming had just become the biggest grossing documentary in history and Mr Gore had won the Nobel prize. But recently Mr Obama has been talking more about thrift than trees. Instead of showing off his recycling skills, he explains that his children don't receive Christmas or birthday presents.

It's not just the economic downturn that has harmed the green order. People have become wary of environmental causes that can turn out to do more harm than good. They don't want wind turbines marching across Britain's moors when nuclear power stations can do more to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. They worry that washing and bleaching all those non-disposable nappies may be damaging the ozone layer, that the massive incentives for biofuels have distorted the world food market, and that green taxes are actually stealth taxes.

But paradoxically, just as Britain is turning its back on the environment, the country is finally becoming greener. Fewer people are moving house so they are buying fewer new white goods such as washing machines and fridges. They may not be queueing up for Ł9 organic Poilâne bread, but for the first time in a decade they are discarding less food. They buy less impulsively and think more carefully before their weekly shop. Children are wearing hand-me-down uniforms rather than new ones made in sweatshops.

Bottled water sales have fallen. Garden centres have reported a 10 per cent rise in the sales of vegetable seeds in the past 12 months. People are saving money by growing their own potatoes and carrots. They are turning off their central heating for a few more months of the year and ditching their second car rather than buying an electric runaround. And instead of carbon-offsetting their holidays, they are simply going on fewer of them.

It's the downturn that has made greenery look unappetising - but it may yet prove to do more than anything to save the planet.

manu1959
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
yep the economic downturn will make people conserve............

DragonStryk72
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM

I noticed the same thing one summer when I got a deal for room & board in exchange for labor on the house. The house had no hot water, A/C, microwave, fridge, or working stove when I arrived there, conditions I would have thought untenable previously, but for the bargain price of being free, as well as getting to do some major house projects, I couldn't resist.

that summer, a heatwave hit here in VA that put us up over 100 for over a week, meaning that I was, basically, screwed. Strangely however, I adapted. I admit, at first cold showers were.... overly bracing, but I got used to them, just as I got used to using a fire pit (hadn't done that since Boy Scouts), and my body adjust to the heat, with me just using fans to get air circulating. In the end, it wasn't at all bad, and I began being able to put in a full day's work without much difficulty, regardless of heat.

We only "need" these modern conveniences because we've never really had to go without them. If we really stopped to consider it, most every problem we're facing economically would be vastly improved if we would just cut back.

April15
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
We got a boy in the White House that wouldn't make a pimple on the ass of a man like Bill Clinton. So I say , if you want the same, you vote for McCain. Do you want a man who can rise to the call? Or do you want somebody on Geritol? Do you want a man who can get the job done with no jive? Or do you want a criminal who was part of the Keating Five? What will it be, America? Prosperity in next four years, or more of the Republican bullshit based on lies and fears. See you at the debate. Nixon at tpa

Dilloduck
08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
We got a boy in the White House that wouldn't make a pimple on the ass of a man like Bill Clinton. So I say , if you want the same, you vote for McCain. Do you want a man who can rise to the call? Or do you want somebody on Geritol? Do you want a man who can get the job done with no jive? Or do you want a criminal who was part of the Keating Five? What will it be, America? Prosperity in next four years, or more of the Republican bullshit based on lies and fears. See you at the debate. Nixon at tpa

Obama can't jive ??? What kind of crap is that ? Blacks INVENTED jive !!

SpidermanTUba
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM

What economic downturn? I thought we were in an economic boom?

April15
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Obama can't jive ??? What kind of crap is that ? Blacks INVENTED jive !!It makes the rhyme.

Kathianne
08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
It makes the rhyme.

Thanks for exposing yourself.

gabosaurus
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/143glg2.jpg