PDA

View Full Version : Ooops On Exxon For Obama

Kathianne
08-08-2008, 07:43 AM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/exxon-hearts-ob.html

Exxon [Hearts] Obama

August 07, 2008 4:02 PM

As we close up a week wherein Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, on the stump and in a TV ad accused rival Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., of being "in the pocket of big oil," and doing the industry's bidding -- not to mention a week during which the Democratic National Committee launched an Exxon-McCain '08 website to drive home this Democratic talking point -- the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics points out that the issue is a bit more complicated than it first would appear.

McCain has received three times more money from the oil industry in general -- $1.3 million for McCain compared to approximately $394,000 for Obama. But that said, Obama has received more campaign cash than McCain has from the employees of some of the biggest oil companies -- Exxon, Chevron and BP.

This might seem to complicate Obama's continual use of Exxon-Mobil on the stump...

Yurt
08-08-2008, 08:13 AM
typical hypocrite obama...he is an empty head that only understands the dem talking points given to him every morning with coffee

red states rule
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/exxon-hearts-ob.html

What gets me is why the hell are employees of Exxon giving money to a clod who wants to take more of their profits away from them in the form of higher taxes?

Kathianne
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
typical hypocrite obama...he is an empty head that only understands the dem talking points given to him every morning with coffee

Actually I think this is one of the many mistakes he and his campaign team have made, which is beginning to accumulate in the minds of the electorate. Peggy Noonan's column alludes to this today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121813852996621575.html?mod=todays_columnists

...However. Mr. Obama consistently shows that he doesn't know what he doesn't know. It's a theme with his talented, confident staff. They don't know what they don't know either. Because they're young and they've never been in power and it takes time to know what you don't know. The presidential-type seal with OBAMA on it, the sometimes over-the-top rhetoric about healing the earth and parting the seas. They pick the biggest, showiest venue for the Berlin speech, the Brandenburg Gate, just like a president, not realizing people would think: Ya gotta earn that one, kid. Going to Europe was fine, but they should have gone in modestly, with a modest venue, quietly spread word that his speech was open to the public, and then left the watching world awed by the hordes that showed up. For they would have. "We couldn't help it, they love him!" It would have looked as if Europe was coming to him, and let that sink in back home.

Anyone can carp like this in retrospect, but when you know what you don't know, you can plan like this in advance.

red states rule
08-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Actually I think this is one of the many mistakes he and his campaign team have made, which is beginning to accumulate in the minds of the electorate. Peggy Noonan's column alludes to this today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121813852996621575.html?mod=todays_columnists

For the first time, it looks like McCain could win this. Obama is such a raw rookie, with a short fuse. It is showing and the voters are seeing it

PostmodernProphet
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
What gets me is why the hell are employees of Exxon giving money to a clod who wants to take more of their profits away from them in the form of higher taxes?

tell me something, Red....which candidates policies will allow the oil companies to make the most money off the least amount of oil....the one which blocks drilling and makes oil scarce and expensive or the one which opens up drilling and makes oil less scarce and less expensive......if the Dems DO pass a windfall profits tax the oil companies will just pass the cost on the consumers anyway......

red states rule
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
tell me something, Red....which candidates policies will allow the oil companies to make the most money off the least amount of oil....the one which blocks drilling and makes oil scarce and expensive or the one which opens up drilling and makes oil less scarce and less expensive......

Dems. The mob does not even take in that much in protection money

But Dems bitch about Exxon making $11 billion - but say nothing about the $31 billion they paid in TAXES