PDA

View Full Version : Racism and the Media

hjmick
08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Many on the left like to point their collective finger at the right and simultaneously shout “Racists.” We see it in the news, we see it on blogs, we see it on message boards, and we even hear it from the de facto head of the Democratic Party and Presidential nominee, Barack Obama.

While I do not deny that there is racism in America, and I believe that there always will be, I am of the opinion that the label does not belong strictly to one party. I believe that people of every political stripe are capable of harboring racist tendencies. Racism is world wide, not just in the U.S.

But what is it that makes people believe it is a characteristic of the right? In today’s society, in a world of instant news, any politician who harbors racist feelings and hopes to keep his or her job, or hopes to get elected, knows to keep those feelings to themselves. A wise politician would be best served to forget them. Quite often the simple choice of words can be the undoing of a public servant. There are many of examples Democrats and known lefties, not all of them politicians, making comments that could be considered offensive, insensitive, or down right racist.

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent."
-Senator Joe Biden

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis." -Senator Hillary Clinton

Some junior high nigger kicked Steve's ass while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the nigger down. However it was, it was Steve's fault. He had the nigger down, he let him up. The nigger blindsided him." - Roger Clinton, the President's brother on audiotape

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva." - Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?" - Left-wing radio host Neil Rogers

Blacks and Hispanics are "too busy eating watermelons and tacos" to learn how to read and write." - Mike Wallace, CBS News.

'Hymies.' 'Hymietown.' -- Jesse Jackson's description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

"Jews — that's J-E-W-S." -- Democratic state representative Bill McKinney on why his daughter Cynthia lost in 2002

"I'll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years."- Lyndon B. Johnson

These are just a few examples, but you get the idea.

So, how is it that the myth of racist Republicans is perpetuated? Why is it those on the right so frequently find themselves with such a label? I believe that some blame lies with the media, especially when they publish stories such as this:

Racist Groups Eye Boost If Obama Elected
David Duke: ‘We Have Lost Control of Our Country’

PEARL, Miss. -- They're not exactly rooting for him, but prominent white supremacists anticipate a boost to their cause if Barack Obama becomes the first black president.

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, of Louisiana, said Democrat Obama would be a "visual aid" to the idea that whites have lost control of America.

Duke, once a Democrat who became a Republican in 1988 and served in the Louisiana House of Representatives, posted an essay on his Web site in June titled, "Obama Wins Demo Nomination: A Black Flag for White America."

Obama "will be a clear signal for millions of our people," Duke wrote. "Obama is a visual aid for White Americans who just don't get it yet that we have lost control of our country, and unless we get it back we are heading for complete annihilation as a people."

Richard Barrett, a 65-year-old lawyer who traveled the country for 40 years advocating what he perceives as the white side in racial issues, is convinced Obama will defeat Republican John McCain in November…

Complete story… (http://www.wnbc.com/politics/17131027/detail.html)

While there is no denying that these men are racists, I have to wonder why any news organization would want to report on anything they have to say. They are certainly not representative of the Republican party as a whole. Their views and ideas are reprehensible. To treat them with any measure of credibility lends itself to painting not only the Republican party as racist, but whites in general. How does this serve the greater good? Doesn’t make more since to ignore them and thus marginalize them and their ilk? To my knowledge, the Republican party does not claim David Duke. The (R) next to his name is meaningless.

Many like to argue that the main stream media favors politicians and views that come from the left. There are some who argue the opposite. I tend to believe that there are more left/Dem leaning news organizations than there are that favor the right, but there are indeed obvious biases in the newsrooms of today.

When stories like this run, is it an attempt to maintain the perception that one party is racist while the other is not?

Racism is bad. Racists should be identified and ostracized. Whole groups should not be labeled racist based on the statements or actions of a few. A group who finds a bigot in their midst should cull them from the herd or be prepared to wear the racist name tag.

darin
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Racist Speech = Free Speech. Doesn't bother me.

Kathianne
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I agree about racism being across party lines. The good news is that it is down from 40 years ago, one of the few things Barack and I agree upon.

How the Republicans got slimed with 'racist party', when in fact it was the party of ending slavery is beyond me. But, in fairness they welcomed the racists from the Democratic party back in the 60's.

At the same time, contrary to the rants of 'not talking down', the Republican Party at the time was about inclusiveness. It was the Republicans that let Johnson get the Civil Rights legislation through, not the Democrats. Johnson though is kind of an American model, a racist that through both expediency and guilt came through for those held down by Jim Crow. For that, he deserves all of our thanks. He was a racist though, through the end. Then again, so were JFK and RFK, using Justice Department to snoop on MLK Jr.

Is US now color blind? Hardly. Which is why Obama is getting the numbers from the black community he is. Also why there is enough credibility to label all that disagree with him, racist.

In reality, I think the country has come a further way, in a shorter time than anyone could have predicted in '64.

hjmick
08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Racist Speech = Free Speech. Doesn't bother me.

I agree. As distasteful as I find serious racist comments to be, it is covered by the First Amendment, and should be. I have often said, I may not like what you say, but I will be the first to defend your right to say it.