PDA

View Full Version : Crosby, Stills and Nash

gabosaurus
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
With and without Neil Young, these three brilliant musicians have defined my life. I remember growing up listening to their music, since my parents both loved them.
One of the first concerts I ever attended was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I went with my mom and dad, and we all sung the lyrics.
My husband had business in Pensacola on Monday and Tuesday, and I saw that Crosby, Stills and Nash were playing at an open air amphitheater in Mobile on Tuesday night. So we took our daughter to the show. She loved it. We sat there and sang the songs, just as I had done with my parents.
A magical experience with one of the true legends of music. :)

retiredman
08-08-2008, 09:25 PM
ditto.

along with James Taylor, their songs created the musical backdrop for my upbringing

Psychoblues
08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I agree with all of the above. Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young and Taylor!!!!!!!!! What a dream group that would have been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think one bandstand could hold so much genius!!!!!!!!!

gabosaurus
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
One of the few disappointments was that CSN did not play perhaps my favorite song by them -- Carry On (written by Stephen Stills).
This song has provided me inspiration for many of the ups and downs in my life. :)

One morning I woke up and I knew
You were really gone
A new day, a new way, and new eyes
To see the dawn.
Go your way, I'll go mine and
Carry on

The sky is clearing and the night
Has cried enough
The sun, he come, the world
to soften up
Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice but
To carry on

The fortunes of fables are able
To see the dawn
Now witness the quickness with which
We get along
To sing the blues you've got to live the tunes and
Carry on

Carry on
Love is coming
Love is coming to us all

Where are you going now my love?
Where will you be tomorrow?
Will you bring me happiness?
Will you bring me sorrow?
Oh, the questions of a thousand dreams
What you do and what you see
Lover can you talk to me?

Girl when I was on my own
Chasing you down
What was it made you run?
Trying your best just to get around.
The questions of a thousand dreams
What you do and what you see
Lover can you talk to me?

Sitarro
08-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Concerts aren't anything like they were when I was younger. I remember paying 8 dollars to see Pink Floyd and was able to bring in my camera and numerous Hash-oil drenched joints, now you get some jerk searching your pants to get in and the only way you will get any shots is with a shitty camera phone.

I saw David Crosby in Boston in 1984. My girlfriend and I stood outside in the cold for an hour and a half to get in the very small venue, basically a large bar. The opening act sucked worse than a sycho post but that didn't bother us too much, we were there to see Crosby. When he finally came out, a half hour late, he couldn't get through a single song. He accredited a small joint that he and a friend had smoked backstage for his amnesia. After starting a few songs he left the stage and never came back....... really impressive.

I have seen Crosby Stills and Nash in concert numerous times including an incredible show at Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver, one of the best concerts I ever attended. I saw Young a few times with Crazy Horse, those shows sucked pretty bad, don't really like Neil without the more polished CSN.

I grew up listening to them, Four Way Street is one of my favorite albums and their version of Wooden Ships is in my top 10 favorite songs.

With all that being said, I have grown out of their anti-establishment, childish shit, Young's new documentary will no doubt make me never want to listen to them again, so I won't see it. I am really bored with musicians getting me to pay them a lot of money to listen to their ignorant political shit. I have seen Santana at least 10 times and will never pay another penny to see him again, listening to him denigrate my President while he wears a trendy Che Guevara shirt was enough for me to be soured to his work...... I haven't bought a thing from him since.

Something about a bunch of spoiled, holier than thou entertainers, that fly around on their personal jets, wearing their expensive fur coats, drinking themselves silly, demanding shit that only the most spoiled asshole would have to have backstage, not being allowed into their shows with my camera and yet having to pay increasingly exorbitant fees to see them, more often than not, sound like crap......... and on top of all that, be stuck listening to ignorant musician views about political issues........ seems just a bit of a waste of my time and money. I will only see a choice few acts anymore, CSN probably won't be one of them.

gabosaurus
08-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Funny you should mention that, Sitarro. Early in the show, Nash changed some of the words to "Military Madness" to lay the blame for Iraq on Dubya. The woman next to me got up and left. She said told her date (I suppose) "I knew they were going to talk badly about the President! I'm getting my money back!"

Music has always been used as a medium for protest. Going back to the 50s and 60s. I don't see why it should be any different now.
Some of the same people who smoked pot and got drunk at shows 30 years ago are likely out there arresting kids for doing the same things now.
You get older and your views change.

Sitarro
08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Funny you should mention that, Sitarro. Early in the show, Nash changed some of the words to "Military Madness" to lay the blame for Iraq on Dubya. The woman next to me got up and left. She said told her date (I suppose) "I knew they were going to talk badly about the President! I'm getting my money back!"

I'm sure that happens every time they play now, most of their original fans have grown up and have real lives trying to pay their bills and working on setting themselves up for retirement, they don't want to get lectured by musicians, no time for that. They were great in their day, even relevant but now, I just don't want to see them again....... I would rather remember them as the cool, talented guys they used to be, now they just seem needy, not really contributing that much to the music world anymore, just playing to pay for a new sailboat. I've seen some recent work on YouTube, not very pretty, at least Grace Slick realized it was time to go and do something else. I made the mistake of buying a DVD of the Moody Blues at Red Rocks, destroyed the great memories of that band, voices gone, old shits that just didn't have it anymore. Some can still get away with it..... Bowie, Jagger, Davd Gilmour, McCartney(not much longer though)....... at some point you need to walk away and not desecrate great memories by making fools of yourselves.

Music has always been used as a medium for protest. Going back to the 50s and 60s. I don't see why it should be any different now.
Some of the same people who smoked pot and got drunk at shows 30 years ago are likely out there arresting kids for doing the same things now.
You get older and your views change.

It had it's place then and may even have it's place with younger bands playing to a naive, younger audience that are more interested in getting fucked up and layed than what the performers are saying. Old fat rich guys playing protesters are just pathetic.

Former pot smokers, arresting kids doing the same thing are hypocrites. They know better than anyone what a joke the drug laws are pertaining to marijuana, it's a chicken shit bust that destroys lives for what? They could be doing real police work stopping drunk drivers, these are the ones killing thousands of people per year(*16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 – 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year). Pot smokers aren't the ones killing people driving drunk(yea, I know, drunks smoke pot too, it's not the same thing).

*http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics-2005.html

Abbey Marie
08-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Sitarro, these posts are blog worthy. Excellent points throughout. :clap:

Gabby, I agree that most of us change our opinions as we grow older. I sure have. I guess when you are a spoiled rock star, you never need to.

gabosaurus
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I supposed my opinions are influenced by my dad, whose political and musical views have never changed. Now in his fifties, my dad remains a liberal metalhead. My mom has become more politically neutral and prefers classic soft rock.

When my dad was in college, one of his best friends was a typical early-70's Deadhead. They have grown apart pretty much, since the guy is now a staunchly conservative stockbroker who listens to country music.

I love Crosby, Stills and Nash because a lot of their music is timeless. You can still sing along to "Love The One You're With" and "Our House" and have it mean the same thing as it did 35 years ago.
At the same time, "Ohio" and "Military Madness" mean as much now as they did back in the early 1970's. We have the same idiot government supporting the same asinine foreign conflicts.

Psychoblues
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Dig that, gabby,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,