PDA

View Full Version : Risk!: Let's divvy it up

Yurt
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
dice are fresh, board is open, cards have not been dealt

how would you divvy up the world....and we can go beyond classical Risk!. roll the dice....

me:

North America - ah, the "natives" or the later "settlers?" is it late come, eat last?

Europe - ah, Rome, weakened, so who gets it?

Africa - ah, is it the the "natives" or the later "settlers" and now "natives" because Africa is not homogeneous and who are the "natives?"

Asia - well, they are asian, even in the north (russia), so where did their right to the land come from?

Australia - you got me, maybe Africa...but then that leads to questions.....where did the "originals" come from?

seems to me, war is about land, life is about land. we rent, we own, we fight if we do not have either.

who owns what?

if it is all about "firsts" then who and what is/are first.....come on, those that support we came from apes, here is your chance, take the Risk! and tell us.......who really owns the world

manu1959
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
if you can hold it .... you can rule it......

risk...love that game....

hjmick
08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Never played.

manu1959
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Never played.

oh my god dude.....you haven't lived.....maybe you yurt an i should converge on santa barbara for risk drinking and cigars....oh an world domination

hjmick
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
oh my god dude.....you haven't lived.....maybe you yurt an i should converge on santa barbara for risk drinking and cigars....oh an world domination

Just tell me when.

emmett
08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh dudes! Listen here. If you love risk, you will instantly be hooked on Axis and Allies! Better have a weekend though as a game can go on all weekend. It's grrrreeat!!!!!

Mr. P
08-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Board games...pfffffftttt, I prefer the REAL thing! :cheers2:

hjmick
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh dudes! Listen here. If you love risk, you will instantly be hooked on Axis and Allies! Better have a weekend though as a game can go on all weekend. It's grrrreeat!!!!!

I'm partial to Sid Meir's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword.

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I've always loved Risk! One of the best home parties I ever threw was a Lobster and corn boil followed by Risk games. We had 8 tables of players, followed by breakfast in the morning. Seriously I think one couple left before 9am. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I really enjoyed playing Diplomacy with a large group.

Hobbit
08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Don't forget the awesome Risk variants. I've got Clone Wars Risk (they promised a Risk for the Galactic Civil War, but it never came), which has a new map and a few variant rules. Similar to that is Lord of the Rings Risk, which I've played once. Then, a friend of mine has my favorite variant, Risk 2210. It's futuristic, has a HUGE variety of cards, moon and underwater territories, generals, bunkers, and tons of other stuff. It's also a really intense game, as it only lasts 5 turns, and whoever goes last on the last turn (you bid resources for turn order each turn) doesn't have to worry about overextending.

08-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Ive never played either:)

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I really enjoyed playing Diplomacy with a large group.

I'm going to look for that! Can I be Condi Rice? :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm going to look for that! Can I be Condi Rice? :laugh2:

Sure- much better than Madeliene Albright!

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Sure- much better than Madeliene Albright!

Looks good, but I guess I'll have to look in a store, Amazon doesn't carry it, except through vendors:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7471/516be16cgylsl500aa280lc9.jpg

It has 5 stars after 35 reviews:

5.0 out of 5 stars Best board game ever made., January 1, 2002
By Elim Garak (Australia) - See all my reviews
Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Diplomacy, without doubt, is simply the best board game ever made. ... any other game has nothing on diplomacy, it's incredible.
I first played it with some friends in school after a teacher introduced us to it, and within a couple of turns was completely hooked.
The game deal with world war I Europe, encompassing land and naval warfare, and the integration of both. The game is turn based and the map is divided up into territories, as well as major cities. More cities=more armies/navies, pretty simple concept.
Each player controls a particular country, and starts off with their armies/navies deployed as the rulebook says.
Unlike other board games, the game does not rely on dice rolling(some people have thought a better name for risk would be luck), so armies are evenly matched. In order for an army to invade another territory already occupied by an army, the invading arm must be supported by another army or navy in a territory adjacent to both.
So, players have to think strategically and diplomatically. This is a great group game(up to seven can play). Each turn, players submit a movement sheet, instructing each army what to do, everyone moves at the same time. So there is like a ten minute diplomacy session, where people talk to each other about what they're going to do, and how to help each other, trouble is, they can often lie.
The game is exceptionally good, it is also a good educational toy I'm not quite sure what durable means, the game is as physically durable as any other board game(so take care of it), as for play durability, I've been going for four years, and it just gets better.
This game is the monopoly of strategy games, every home should have a copy, buy it now.

Yurt
08-09-2008, 03:44 PM

yes, absolutely yes or we could meet in the middle in SLO

you used to be able to play risk online, Risk II...but i don't think it is supported anymore

Yurt
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm partial to Sid Meir's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword.

hell yes, love it...have you played colonization? i hear the water graphics are awesome. do you ever play online? i tried once, but the board moved to fast and i they got mad because i had to leave after 30 minutes

hjmick
08-09-2008, 04:10 PM
hell yes, love it...have you played colonization? i hear the water graphics are awesome. do you ever play online? i tried once, but the board moved to fast and i they got mad because i had to leave after 30 minutes

I have never played Colonization, but I have been with Civ since day one, long before the graphics got so cool. I have played online a few times, but there is definately a commitment involved to do so.

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, not the proper forum, but looking at the article I was reminded of this thread:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121858681748935101.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Welcome Back
To the Great Game
By MELIK KAYLAN
August 13, 2008; Page A17

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/965/obca991kaylan2008081309wp2.gif

As we worry about another Russian imperialist adventure in Georgia, we shouldn't lose sight of the bigger picture either: To wit, Moscow has always had a clear strategic use for the Caucasus, one that concerns the U.S. today more than ever.

Having overestimated the power of the Soviet Union in its last years, we have consistently underestimated the ambitions of Russia since. Already, a great deal has been said about the implications of Russia's invasion for Ukraine, the Baltic States and Europe generally. But few have noticed the direct strategic threat of Moscow's action to U.S. efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Kremlin is not about to reignite the Cold War for the love of a few thousand Ossetians or even for its animosity toward five million Georgians. This is calculated strategic maneuvering. And make no mistake, it's about countering U.S. power at its furthest stretch with Moscow's power very close to home...

Between Russia and Iran, in the lower Caucasus, sits a small wedge of independent soil -- namely, the soil of Azerbaijan and Georgia combined. Through those two countries runs the immensely important Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline, which delivers precious oil circuitously from Azerbaijan to Turkey and out to the world. This is important not just because of the actual oil being delivered free of interference from Russia and Iran and the Middle East, but also for symbolic reasons. It says to the world that if any former Moscow colonies wish to sell their wares to the West directly, they have a right to do so, and the West will support that right. According to Georgian authorities, Russian warplanes have tried to demolish the Georgian leg of that pipeline several times in the last days. Their message cannot be clearer....

In Iraq too, the Kremlin's projection of power down through Georgia will soon be felt. Take another look at the map. If Russia is allowed to extend its reach southwards, as in Soviet times, down the Caucasus to Iran's borders, Moscow can support Iran in any showdown with the West. Iran, thus emboldened, will likely attempt to reassert itself in Iraq, Syria and, via Hezbollah, in Lebanon.

We could walk away from this challenge, hoping for things to cool off, and let the Russians impose sway over the lower Caucasus for now. But no one will fail to notice our weakness. If we don't draw the line here, it doesn't get easier down the road with any other border or country. We would be risking the future of Afghanistan, and the stability of Iraq, on the good will of Moscow and the mullahs in Tehran. This is how the game of grand strategy is played, whether we like it or not.

Gaffer
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Ok, not the proper forum, but looking at the article I was reminded of this thread:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121858681748935101.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Good find Kath.

I love strategy games like risk and diplomacy, also many others. I have a lot of them. They are great for learning history and geography. They can also give you a lot of insight into world events.

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Good find Kath.

I love strategy games like risk and diplomacy, also many others. I have a lot of them. They are great for learning history and geography. They can also give you a lot of insight into world events.

yes, board games like these should be required. LOL! This whole thing with Russia is getting more interesting by the hour.